1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Best Z77 Motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hg, 16 Jan 2013.

1. Hg

Hg The game known as life

Hi guys,
    I am a little out of the loop on this one.
    I am building a new PC and its been a while since i last built one and there are many Z77 motherboards out there but the one i have been looking at is the Asus MAXIMUS V GENE Z77 now however i have a full size ATX case and before i press the 'Buy' button i was wondering if anyone can recommend a cheaper or better full size motherboard to me?
    I will be using the rig for gaming and will be looking to overclock a i5 3570K
    Cheers
    Hg

2. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

Personal preference but I love my asus sabertooth z77

Sent on my CM10 JB powered i9100 by TapaTalk 2

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Nothing bad to say about my Z77 Sabertooth either... Does exactly what it says on the tin.

4. Si_the-dude

Si_the-dude Techaholics Anonymous. 0 days clean

+1 for the Sabertooth, I love mine. You'd save yourself some money too!

5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

z77 Sabertooth is £30 more expensive than the m5g? (on scan anyway)

6. Hg

yeah i have seen the sabertooth is + £30 more expensive :s
    Cheapest i have seen from the m5g from reputable places is £136.12 on ebuyer and amazon

7. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

I have the Sabertooth as well and love it. Everything is just so easy from the bios to setting it up

8. Si_the-dude

Si_the-dude Techaholics Anonymous. 0 days clean

Totally right, I'm being a bonehead and thinking of the price of the Maximus IV Gene :waah:

9. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I've got a m5g and it's brilliant, but really there's not really an appriciable difference in performance between the top-end models. mostly it comes down to preference of look, manufacturer and price.

what i will say is the sound quality off the on board sound is really good. I'm not audiophilic per say, but i do run my sound through an amp and a pair of dovedale 3's :)
    [​IMG]

10. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I am starting to change my oppinion of Asus boards to the point where my next board I am 99% sure will NOT be a Asus board.

I seem to have nothing but trouble lately with them, in terms of poor network performance, onboard sound being that poor that it is essential regardless of what you do to use a seperate sound card, also the bios resetting itself every now and then the final straw is it needing more voltage for a cpu overclock than another board.

Granted they may have extra features and generally look better to me but I am going with a MSI board for my next one up to now, because I had better performance from my old P67 MSI board than my current and old Asus board.

11. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

I'm pleased with my Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H. Does 4.5GHz without any kind of issues, and would go higher but my cooling system is bottlenecking. Additionally, it has a longer warranty than Asus boards.

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Sabertooth has a 5 year warranty, ROG has 3 years...? Same or longer. No one else offers a 5 year warranty on consumer motherboards.

13. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

ROG is two years, but fair enough, Sabertooth has five years which is longer than Gigabyte's three.

14. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Personally I'm happy I made the switch to mATX - I wasn't using the extra PCIe slots I got on ATX, so I actually lost nothing in moving to a smaller board format, and gained the ability to use smaller cases.

The V Gene is a lovely board (I had the IV before it). Rock stable, fast, and the onboard sound is better than any other onboard I've heard.

15. Hg

I have been looking at the MSI Z77 mpower and its now between this and the Asus MAXIMUS V GENE Z77, any thoughts?

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

17. narwen

narwen narwen

18. Psyance

Psyance What's a Dremel?

I too am looking at the mpower so will be interested in any further replies.
    In my searches, it seems that all the boards around this price point are very similar in performance, as such I'm thinking of the Mpower for astheic reasons.

19. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I think to be honest nearly all of the P67/Z68/Z77/X79 boards all perform basically the same as each other, and the board to choose is basically down to manufacturer, look's and with the more expensive ones what extra features you get.

I remember seeing a video about the M-Power board but cannot find it, but it said other than a few extra features it performed just a slight bit better than others around the same price.

Gone are the days of certain boards allowing better overclocks etc using the FSB or BCLK, but I do know some new boards will allow a overclock using slightly lower volts than another board.

Best bet is get the board that you like the looks off because other than that you are not really getting much more really by going for a high priced board, over a mid or low price board unless you really want to spend the extra money.

20. deant94

deant94 What's a Dremel?

Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 I have found is a great motherboard. Really good for overclocking aswell and has worked well with the i5 3570k chip