Displays 24" LCD for work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by janineo, 27 Jan 2013.

1. janineo

janineo What's a Dremel?

I'm looking for some advice, please.

I will soon be working from home 1 day a week, and think I will need a larger monitor as I am used to 2 displays in the office (a 24" and a 19", both 16:9 ratio). My current 17" 4:3 will be very limiting.
    I don't play games, or do lots of video or image editing, and I won't be watching TV or movies on it as we have a HTPC hooked up to the 32" HD tv in the lounge.

I'm thinking a 16:10 ratio would be the most useful size - would any screen in this ratio that I can find be suitable for my use? I can't really justify the £350+ for the Dell U2410 at the moment.

Many Thanks,
    Janine

2. velo

velo What's a Dremel?

janineo likes this.
  3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

If you need color accuracy: Dell U2413 (this is new) it replaced the U2410. If you can't afford it, than the U2410 is cheaper now as it's being phased out. The U2412HM is an excellent choice if you don't care much about colors, despite having impressive colors out of the box.

The U2410 will get you what you paid for, it will be worth the extra. You have the inputs and you have 2 pre-color calibrated with report sheet on the calibration, Adobe RGB and sRGB. Also, if you want to customize the colors, you have more than just Red, Green and Blue control, you have Red Green and Blue for Offset, Hue, Saturation, Tint, and you also have console on Cyan, Magenta and Yellow on some of these options (I am away from my computer at home to be more specific).

So all 3 excellent monitors, it depends on your budget, and if you need these features or not.

janineo likes this.
  4. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

get it used from nrg-it
    Dell-24-inch-computer-monitor-U2412M-IPS

5. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

if you don't need color accuracy look for a TN display

i picked up my samsung 2443 for pretty cheap, all i really needed was an adjustable height stand and 1200 vertical pixels

6. GoodBytes

Actually my brother has this monitor as a second monitor... he got it some time ago... before there was the cheaper offering from Dell (U2412m)

But watch for the price, in Canada right now, it cost just as much as the U2412M, so might as get an the U2412M which is better.

Last edited: 28 Jan 2013
  7. janineo

janineo What's a Dremel?

velo = thanks, that's a more reasonable price.

GoodBytes - thanks for the info, I think the U2412M will do for me, and perhaps look at the U2413/U2410 for my hubby in a couple months time as he does play games.

8. GoodBytes

The U2413 and U2410 are higher-end monitors. The U2413 replaces the U2410 (hence why it's more expensive). The difference between the U2412 and the U2410/U2413 is visible. Mainly because they use a true 8-bit panel, and not a 6-bit panel, better back light technology, and also it comes with factory pre-color calibrated profiles: Adobe RGB and sRGB with report sheet, to have stunning colors out of the box (well once your turn it on, you go on monitor menu and pick which profile you prefer, by default it's set to "standard" profile, which is just ok colors.. it's more like store shelf settings, if you will. So definitely you want to pick Adobe RGB or sRGB). If must be noted if hes playing hard core, competitively and not just for fun, FPS games, these monitor will not do, in fact not even the U2412. He will have to go to a TN panel for the fast response time, over colors, and everything else.

9. janineo

janineo What's a Dremel?

I went for the U2412M - got it yesterday and it's fine for my purposes. Miles better than my old 17" panel (which was about 7 years old).

GoodBytes - he just plays for fun. He's currently using a 17" panel identical to the one I've just upgraded from, and is happy enough with it. Probably a case of 'doesn't know any better'. :)
    He doesn't like to spend money on hardware when what he's got isn't broken, so I doubt he'll buy a high end panel for something that's just a hobby.

10. GoodBytes

Ah very good. So yea, the U2412M will be perfect for him, as you can see for your self.
    To me, it's a perfect all purpose monitor, in the sense that you have an adjustable stand, it's not glossy, it's a solid product, and wide view angle (which is an issue on large screen, and I know this because I had experience such display), and you have good colors for non professional work. All by being great for gaming as well. A perfect balance.

The Samsung 2443 would have been OK, as suggested by docodine, even though the view angle causes a problem on the size.. but, at least where I am, it costs more than the Dell U2412M, so why not get the U2412M?