1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Star Wars - The Old Republic Discussion

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Fizzban, 24 Sep 2011.

1. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

I agree with the concept of not nerfing PvE for PvP reasons (as sad as i am about the knockback on my Commando's Stock Strike being changed to a Snare/Root), however i'm still not really seeing that much of an effect on what you're saying.

10m Stun

You mention about using it to open up and lay on a few skills first... i agree it's useful if you're trying to solo stuff, however the first move i use on Sorc is always to send Khem Val in to Tank and hold aggro. This completely eliminates the need to worry about enemies closing in and means i can use a GCD on a more offensive ability.

You also mentioned FPs and Ops, but it's the same there when you have a dedicated Tank that should be holding aggro. Not to mention there are very few scenarios in them where you're actually at the maximum 30-35m edge of your range. More often than not you'll already be stacked within 10-20m just for AoE Heals or space issues.

I've got 4 Level 50s and i think the only times i've ever used my Stun when levelling are either as "oh crap" moments or when trying to solo certain Elites/Champions (which are a) optional b) done for the challenge). The journey to 50 isn't any more or less difficult by this nerf and having a 30m stun will never beat out knowing your Class.

Force Wave/Overload

Again, getting swarmed means you've probably done something wrong in the first place... either you're not letting Khem Val tank, or you've pulled an extra mob or two/tree. Having an AoE Knockback to give some breathing room may help in the short term, but if it's something that can't be solved by using Force Speed, turning 180 degree and using the new Force Wave/Overload then you were probably weren't going to make it out either way.

As for the Class being "so underpowered", that's just not even correct. As a Healing Class they're still essential if you want an easy time due to being the only Class which has an AoE Heal that can hit 8 people and their single target heals are still enough to keep up a Tank. Not to mention that their large Force Pool means that when falling behind they can still take a while before they cap themselves out, where as the other two classes can fall behind fairly easily when overhealing.

From a DPS point of view they certainly don't pull as much DPS as Sentinels/Gunslingers, but then no other Class does. Sorc/Sage DPS is still perfectly viable to complete any and all FPs/Operations and in my own group the "top DPS" is always bouncing around between my Commando, a Sage and a Sentinel depending on the type of fight. In fact if any Class needed a buff to their PvE damage it would probably be Scoundrels/Operatives who are too bursty and not sustained enough.

TBH it just seems like you've been too caught up in the concept of the changes (PvP -> PvE) and not focused on the actual changes themselves, which really don't affect anything significantly in PvE.

2. jake91

jake91 What's a Dremel?

Just re subbed to this, hopefully find a guild :)

sorry didn't mean to quote

3. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I solo almost exclusively. And I have my own..style. That probably doesn't help matters.

Khem I only used at low levels.. as soon as I got nikos, Khem got relegated. My play style is to use dps. I don't care for tanks, at all. Nikos was ranged like me and dealt a fair amount of dps damage, and he rarely died because I'm the one taking the heat. Which is how I want it. And most things don't get too friendly anyways with 2 ranged dps slapping them about.

Oh on the occasions I team up with people I switch to playing like I "should". But on my own I wade right in. That's how I like it. Them butchering those 2 skills pissed me off a fair piece, but that wasn't why I quit. It was just another of their pandering to the pvper's. That is what got me.

Was the same on my Sentinel..in a way. I shunned the tank companions and used the dps companions. The faster things die, the better I do. Tanks only slow things down. If you can't kill it without a tank, you don't deserve to be there, insofar as solo content. A tank is mighty useful in the OPs granted.

And no I didn't try the changes. Maybe they aren't as bad as I fear..but then given how I like to play I can't see those skills being any use any more. Sure I would adapt. But why should I pay them to keep pissing me off? That is moronic, is it not? I will try things out when it is free. Perhaps I will come back and say if it really hurt my style. But regardless I won't be hurting in my wallet for changes I never wanted or asked for.

Last edited: 9 Oct 2012
  4. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Like you've said, that's your main problem.

Although what i find amusing is that you point out how easy Sorcs are to kill, but are willing to Tank with them when solo'ing.

I also disagree with regards to "if you can't kill it without a Tank, you're not supposed to be there". The Tank simply adds another approach to the way can tackle a mob. Some need to be approached in a "DPS faster than it can kill me" whilst others are simply wars of attrition.

When i was levelling my Tank there are times when i'm simply not surviving long enough for my DPS to kill the mob. As such, i move to my Healer companion and simply outlast the mob.

To say that there's only "one way" of doing stuff (i know it's not exactly what your point is) and that's by throwing as much DPS at it as possible is simply... wrong.

5. B_HERB

B_HERB What is this..A CENTER FOR ANTS?!

You, my friend, have the patience of a saint lol! I love raid tanking but man does it suck to do dailies and other individual quests as anything but dps! I remember dailies taking me 15-20 mins longer being spec'd as a tank.

6. Fizzban

It is my main problem, I stated it.

You may find that amusing, but the fact remains they are easier to kill in PVP. And in PVE a lot of the classes have more survivability and/or damage. You can hardly claim my point invalid due to the way I like to play. I always get stuck in, I don't care if the class is squishy. I (generally) like the ranged skills, but I tend to play quite close with them, utilising stuns and so on. Ok so them changing things makes me have to adapt more, my point is why should any of us have to accept or alter our play style due to pvp?

I can't help but feel you latch onto the fact I play differently..and still survive..and use this as a way to say I'm making a big deal. In ONE instance I would be...but this is wider than that class, it is wider than me. They do this EVERY time. It.Is.Not.On. Yeah I like to mix it up, but that don't make me wrong.

And yeah I could survive, but I'd rather have a wide range of fun skills than have a wide range of underpowered faff.

7. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

TBH, i personally think the fact you're trying to Tank on your Sorc as being "wrong". Sure, i also agree that nerfing PvE skills for PvP is also wrong, but currently i'm finding this the "lesser" of the two wrongs.

I'm not one to usually comment on play styles/builds, however yours is a very specific style that isn't suited at all to your Class, you've made the best with what you got and adapted it from there. I don't think the Devs or anyone at the time was thinking "So what about those Sorc's who tank for their Companions?".

You're right in that for the way you play, your points are valid... but that's just the catch "the way you play". It's really like you're more suited to playing a Madness spec'd Assassin rather than a Sorc.

The "making a big deal" comment isn't just the fact that you play differently or what not, it's the fact that:

a) You haven't tried the changes so you're commenting without first hand experience.

b) You label it as now being "a wide range of underpowered faff" which is rather overblown... the mechanic has changed, but that's not to say it's any more or less powerful than before.

Only 15-20min longer? :p

I don't really do Dailies anymore and even then i never really noticed a DPS loss as Tank+DPS Companion seemed to be roughly on par with my single DPS+Heal Companion. Although my Sent is the exception since they tear through anything anyways.

Also my Tank was a Shadow so for some of the Belsavis Heroics it was simply a case of stealthing past them ^_^.

8. B_HERB

Game goes F2P starting Nov. 15th! Also HK companion comes out. Details can be found on the main site.

9. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Free to play starts today. I may finally beat the story campaigns over the next few months which Is the only reason I played the game in the first place

10. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

I logged on today to find that all my characters are flagged for a rename, even though I've had those characters on that server since day one of early access... Somehow EA thinks it's a good idea that I should rename rather than the people coming to this server.

11. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

Just contact customer service and they will fix it, there was a loaf of issues like that on the forums during transfer

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

12. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

It's been a point of contention ever since the transfers.

On the one hand, you have people such as yourself who have been there since Day 1 and have "reserved" the names and such.

On the other hand, maybe someone else has one of those names on a different server and he's been playing since Day 1 as well (whereas some of yours are just placeholders - not saying they are, but assuming some are).

It's frustrating when you lose a name in either case, especially when you look them up and they're only Level 1 (and you're Level 50).

The first set of transfers had name changes based on the "Host" server having priority. With the second set of transfers they looked at Play Time and if the character had to change their name previously.

I can see why it bugs a lot of people, but i think Bioware have handled it fairly well.

And on a side note... finally downed Kephess in HM EC tongiht. It's been a long time coming but i have my Nightscythe ^_^.

13. B_HERB

My thoughts exactly. I was initially very upset when I had to change my main character's name after the first round of mergers.....but I just ended up inserting a special character over one of my letters and the problem was solved. Everyone still knew who I was.

Also, 'grats on your first kill shot for Kephess HM. Now for nightmare! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA

14. B_HERB

Annnnnnnddddd.....EC nightmare mode cleared. That was more of a pain than expected. BW threw in the usual upgrades (more boss hp, more damage) but threw in a few new wrinkles into each fight to make it interesting. Overall, not too much different the mechanics of hard mode but there is zero room for error this time.

15. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Congrats !

We took a peek in there on Tuesday but our group's resolve has been waning recently (especially since we're still missing a dedicated healer and the schedule for raiding changes each week depending on moods, availability and turn-out).

We gave it about 5 attempts and went to HM TFB instead... cleared Writhing Horror and then gave up on Dread Guard.

It's been kinda silly really.

16. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Me and my brother are starting this since it's gone F2P and we'd both like to play KOTORIII (had they made it) and so figure playing this might be as close as we'll get.

Any recommendations for servers?
    We've chosen The Red Eclipse since PvE seems to be what we would want. Wasn't really sure what the RP ones were.
    It says pop heavy, will that mean poor performance?

We aren't so bothered by lots of other players, we just want to do quests/story stuff together (if that's possible)

17. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

I play on tomb of freedom nadd, it's a PvP server though. I have no problems on the server aside from the usual children in general chat, but I imagine that is the same everywhere. I play pretty much solo though, in my own guild and I really just PvP. If you are on the server you can usually find me on my main Certainty, my sentinel. My guild is Called Two Jedi One Cup.

I think the storylines I've enjoyed the most so far were, smuggler and trooper.

Didn't think much of the consular and knight or the Sith warrior.

Smuggler is basically chasing after some treasure, pounding women and blowing stuff up. It's got some good bits that made me laugh.

The trooper storyline is that you are chasing down rogue members of your squad. The cool thing is your can opt to be really hard lined about your decisions, like if someone betrays the republic, you kill them. It's got a real gritty edge to it.

Class wise, I have a 50 sentinel,smuggler, commando, shadow, sage, guardian and scoundrel. I have to say commando sux, healing is weak and damage is ok but it sux in PvP.

If your want to heal for PvP it has to be scoundrel hands down, followed by sage.

Scoundrel is a very mobile healer with a lot of get out of jail free cards. Sage is a lot more static, but you have a ton more throughput on your heals.

If you played WoW, scoundrel = druid, sage = priest.

If you want to tank then all the tanks are on fairly even footing, be it PvE or PvP.

Dps I like my sentinel followed by my gunslinger, they are awesome in PvE and PvP.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

18. B_HERB

There's really no difference between PvP and PvE servers in this game.....like, none. The worlds were poorly designed in the sense that factions are always questing on opposite sides of the map so you rarely run into each other. Most servers are Empire heavy, so if you wanted a shot at more open world PvP, I'd go republic. I live in the states but have a toon on Red Eclipse for when I'm working night shift. The population seems fine and I typically don't have too many lag issues even at peak hours.

RP servers are "role-playing" servers, which means you're actually playing the role of your character so your actions and in-game chat should reflect that. However, the RP communities here pretty are non-existant. I started a toon on the Ebon Hawk server and nobody was role-playing....on top of that the populations were horrible.

19. Fizzban

I recently went back to try out the F2P and found all my characters had been moved to yet another server. I only had to rename one character thankfully..the same one I had to rename the last time they moved me. Just goes to show if you come up with something original then it won't get taken.

I've not been playing on my 2 main dudes as the f2p restrictions are too crippling to get the most out of them..will have to resub sometime I spose. But I'm having fun playing a carbon copy of the Trooper I made in beta. I'm leveling a lot slower, but then the leveling always felt a bit too fast originally.

All in all I think they have handled it rather well.

20. B_HERB

You intrigued me to log in again for the first time since December. I'm now F2P and instantly noticed a few crappy things:

-I can't have more than 350k credits at once. They even went so far as to take the 3.5mil credits I had saved up and reduce the amount to 350k so there's money down the toilet....

-I now have to pay to not show my headgear......350 Cartel Coins, which is about $5 I believe. Lol really BW?

I may see if Rise of the Hutt Cartel is worth re-subbing....but I doubt it will be. Time for ESO.....next year:wallbash: