1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows SimCity

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by WhiteKnight226, 7 Jan 2013.

1. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dumb question, how do i add a trade depot and where do i find it, losing money and that's no good

2. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

What a dumb ass, been missing out on so much, just found the city specialization tab :blush:

3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Can be anywhere. The water is the "result" of the sewage system. You just put your sewage treatment plant somewhere, then the water pump station somewhere close (the water is in about one block radius) and then you just add pumps or treatment plants as needed. Plus one filtering station to keep out the germs.

[​IMG]

:lol:

Last edited: 20 Mar 2013
  4. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Someone didn't pay attention in the tutorial ;)

5. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Tutorials pah they are for the weak! although that could have something to do with the fact my first city literally burnt to the ground....

6. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

:lol:

7. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Anyone else noticed how flawed the tax system is?
    You can switch the tax up to 20% just as the money gets collected each hour, then drop it back down to a low % and the residents are none the wiser. :\

If I was planning the tax system for the game, what I'd do is make it so taxes can only be altered once in a set time-frame (once a week/month could work).

e.g. Lets say go with a monthly tax alteration scenario...
    On the 7th of the month you decide to change the tax from 11% to 9% to appease industry complaints about high taxes, the tax will would be set to update on the 1st of the following month to the new value (this'll stop people like me abusing the poor city-dwellers by robbing them at random).
    With the new tax arranged to drop in the following month, businesses would react as if it was in effect immediately as they know that it is going to happen which results in happiness changing instantly.

Another way to look at the change is if you wanted to screw over the residents and increase the tax from say 8% to 13% to scrape out of the red, you won't see the profits until the following month but the people will react instantly as if they had received a letter notifying them of a tax change.
    So there may be mass protests within the remaining time of the month and even people abandoning homes. These protests could also trigger an option at the town hall to cancel the tax change which would likely reduce the outrage.

Of course there would still be room to abuse a monthly system but putting the tax up on the last day of the month, and then promising tax cuts on the first day of the new month. The only difference is, if you drop the tax to make people happy to shall we say 6%; you have to live with that low value for the entire month.

...or maybe I'm just over-thinking the system and should just stop tormenting my people by abusing the tax slider. :hehe:

That's probably where I went wrong as well.
    Pretty much skipped through it clicking okay and not reading the bubbles. :worried:

8. phidelta42

phidelta42 What's a Dremel?

@suenstar

Its a well thought out idea and more realistic in a way, but for me doesn't fit with the game mechanics that are already in place. I've played the game enough now to not get into money trouble anymore but the option to increase tax on the fly was usually what allowed me to fix rather than abandon a city.

If enough people care about leaderboards there is a case to close these kind of little exploits but I hope it doesn't happen.

9. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Okay, I gave in, I bought it. Going to mess about for a bit then I'll see if I can join up with you guys.

10. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

wow this is starting to get a bit frustrating even trying to play, 2 out of the 3 cities in my private region are "rolling back" and completely unplayable.

11. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

A great buy, shame you did not get it before the 18th for the free game.

16 hours in and i am still learning, the city size is small but that makes you think more, makes you think where to place things, makes you be careful in future planning

Hope you enjoy it :thumb:

12. Cookie Monster

The free game is still going till the 25th I think, it worked for my anyway as I'm currently downloading NFS: Most Wanted.

What has got me though is that the servers are either full or down. Now I can't get onto the server list to change from Europe 3 as it tries to connect as soon as the game loads, but can't as its down, then my only option is to quit.

13. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ah good stuff for the free game :D

Have you downloaded the latest patches? never had any trouble joining any server

14. hoochy

hoochy Need moar cooling

I have had some intermittent server disconnects this evening but nothing too drastic. Really enjoying playing. I watched some videos earlier to try and understand how to start off. I have realised that I need to take my time more and not rush ohh whacking things all over the place :)

15. Cookie Monster

+1

I'm just messing about with their sandbox at the moment before I do anything major.

16. hoochy

hoochy Need moar cooling

This evenings attempt...

[​IMG]

17. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Made my first million tonight, with a pop of around 260k. Cant say its the best city as it needs regular tlc, but ive learnt a lot!

18. hoochy

hoochy Need moar cooling

Congrats!

What im struggling with is - I seem to have everything under control as I am expanding slowly, but then suddenly everything and everyone seems to want something all at the same time and I dont have monies to do it!

Any advice?

19. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Options :
    1) ignore some needs for some time :)
    2) borrow money using bonds ? You could get 300k this way, and you will have to pay back ~$3k per hour ($970 per 100k).

20. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Yeah, they'll allofasuddenwanteverything. Put a few of them off, or plan ahead for them. The game requires you to play at the pace of the city's evolution rate. Sometimes fast, sometimes slow. And also, the citizens will always complain about something. Just like real life.