1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Xbox One announced as next-gen Microsoft games console

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 21 May 2013.

1. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

if you strip away that huge ass bloatware called windows and dreictx , and use compute for direct to metal power , you`ll get somewhere around what these consoles can do when properly coded for.

2. rollo

rollo Modder

Like that will ever happen lol.

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

AFAIK direct to metal is something devs use farther into the life cycle of a console, when a console first comes out they want to get games done quick so go through API's

Direct to metal is something that gets the most out of a console, but can only be done because of the common hardware in consoles so its very unlikely we will ever see this on PC's

It would be nice if consoles where refreshed quicker than the current seven year gap as i feel games have been held back for maybe a year or more due to coding for the lowest spec hardware.

4. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

The past 50 comments all revolve around the same few terms... 'Direct to Metal', '7850', etc... nothing new to be said about it now if people actually read and thought about what has already been posted.

5. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

Considering both the PS4 and X1 both have similar specs. I will say modern PCs today are already stronger. Console GPUs are based around the HD78xx cards. 8Gbs of ram, shared between the GPU and CPU. 8 core CPUs. Nothing unheard of today at all.

And they go through APIs, mostly OpenGL not DirectX.

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Now that's just crazy talk :naughty: reading and thinking! hell I've only just learnt to dress my self :blush:

7. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

@ssj12: PC are much stronger no doubt (mine included). However the problem lies on optimization, specially all in ASM. Something we don't have it... yet!

8. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

@Corky42 :)

9. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

"xbox... phone Corky42"

10. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

If you have something better than DX then that's great. If you're going to suggest something like OpenGL then no.

Also what people want in graphics depends on the style of game. For Battlefield people want maximum visual realism... for minecraft just pleasantly shaded graphics. This idea that great graphics = bad game is just crud. I want the envelope to be pushed for certain types of games. Not every game needs it... I like tower defense games on iPhone that are just simple vector graphics... great fun. I do not want graphics haters holding back certain FPS games because they resent nice graphics and think it must mean bad gameplay.

Wargames European = RTS with good gameplay and great graphics.
    Battlefield 3 is visually stunning and it makes the game feel that much more real.

Consoles have done little to benefit games overall. Looking at the latest call of juarez with greatly reduced AI to the point where they stand in open spaces and wait for you to shoot them and xbox buttons pop up telling you to do stuff.

Nah... **** consoles

11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

12. Dedlite

Dedlite What's a Dremel?

I know that a single 28-nanometer chip contains an integrated CPU, GPU, and embedded memory rather than three separate units crammed onto a 90-nm chip in the 360. In fact, a custom SOC (system on a chip) module made by AMD contains the CPU/GPU chip, the memory, the controller logic, the DRAM, and the audio processors, and connects directly to the heat sink via a phase-change interface material. Whew.

13. Dedlite

Dedlite What's a Dremel?

That's what the Xbox One has, that is.

14. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

OH NO!

Tags: Add Tags