1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Installing updates and some programs just won't work

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Zeus-Nolan, 17 Aug 2013.

1. Zeus-Nolan

Zeus-Nolan Minimodder

Hi guys,

I just bought a new PC (see Sig) and for some unknown reason most if not all of my updates are failing during the first shutdown and during the reboot back into windows, I am also having trouble installing some applications with a odd window installer pop up.

Text dump of it

All I have done to my PC is the normal move temp files to another drive etc recommended here SSD tweaking

If anyone could point me in the right direction to some help I would gladly appreciate it.

2. workingclass

workingclass What's a Dremel?

Not unlikely that you done something wrong with the TEMP folder re-direction. Mostly nothing will install without it, so try setting it back.

Interesting fiction on that dump site...

3. Zeus-Nolan

Zeus-Nolan Minimodder

Thanks, I will have a look at that, It won't really hurt keeping it on my SSD I think in the long run since I don't really use much aside from normal applications plus games.

Yes perhaps it wasn't the best choice but I needed one :).

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Do you have have a first consumer grade generation SSD? No!
    So what ever tweak you did, put them back. Your SSD will be perfectly fine for 5 years, if you use your computer for entertainment purposes, and a bunch of downloads here and there.. basically nothing specifically write intensive (which you would know, if you did).

Lets' assume the worst possible case: 3 year, the length of the warranty of your SSD. By then SSD's will be cheaper, longer lasting, more reliable, and faster. Most likely you'll upgrade by then.

So sit back, and enjoy your SSD.
    There is so much wrong with the post, I don't know where to start.

If you are still scared, then get a MLC synchronous SSD drive, you can identify them with their 5 year warranty. You can trash them HDD style, daily, of writes and will easily pass 7 years. I won't be surprised if it even reaches 9 years.

SSD's are not like what they used to be. They last a long time.

5. workingclass

If you want to tweak your stuff so everything works optimally, download this, read it and apply it. If you are interested in computers, this will help you along your way:

http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html

There is a free version as well as a paid version. The free one is more than enough. Best tweakguide on the internet by far... also the most detailed by far.

Last edited: 18 Aug 2013
  6. Zeus-Nolan

Zeus-Nolan Minimodder

Thanks for the help, I only got as far as moving my temp folder anyway as most of it didn't make sense for me to do. TBH I don't know why I did it only that it was late and I remembered reading it so decided to do it. So thanks GoodBytes and workingclass

My problem was the temp folder so that fixed it but I will see when I do a few more updates and watch it to see if its OK.

I can't open that for some reason workingclass.

7. GoodBytes

Don't apply any tweaks. The only tweak that is fine, is relocated your personal folders like: Document, Pictures, Videos, etc. You do this by right-clicking on a folder, select Properties, and go under the Location tab, and there you can define a path. Changing this will not cause any problem.

Even Windows defrag, you don't need to disable it. Windows 7 knows that you have an SSD, and will not defrag it. If you have Vista, then yes, you should disable it. But Microsoft said that Windows 7 knows that you have an SSD. You have the option to defrag it, if you MANUALLY tell it to, but when automatic it won't. In Windows 8, they completely block this. They renamed Disk Defragmenter, to Optimize Disk, as it will defrag an HDD as in Windows 7, and for Windows 8, it will force a full drive TRIM on your SSD (new feature).

8. Zeus-Nolan

Zeus-Nolan Minimodder

Yeah I did that including my download folder too since I always forget to move it when I reinstall anyway.

I disabled defragging because it doesn't work very well and I use a 3rd party application to do it on my other drives, I was just curious to see what was in it.

On a side note GoodBytes would Nv GPU Pro keep my GPU from clocking up when running fullscreen YT videos? as it normally sits at 324mhz while idling but would go to full non boosted clocks?

9. GoodBytes

Thank you for your interest!

It will keep your GPU downclock.. however, if you are on a desktop (or laptop plugged in), if your GPU is under heavy load for more than a few seconds, it will allow the GPU to increase it's clock speed. I have done this, to allow weak and old GPUs to be able to play 1080p HD video smoothly.
    On the version that I am working on (which is massively improved in about every area), it will have an option to enable it or disable this behavior, and if I have time, allow you to adjust the values it is basing itself on (if not, next version). It will also support MSI AfterBurner integration, and EVGA Precision, if you prefer to use these overclock software, plus having something like GPU Boost, but for all GeForce's.

10. workingclass

Fixed that link if you are interested in learning more about your system.