1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Help confirming if HD 6970 is a reference board

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tuthmose, 14 Dec 2013.

1. Tuthmose

Tuthmose Minimodder

Hey all,

I’ve got a question I’m hoping more knowledgeable minds can help me answer.

I’ve got an older GPU – a Sapphire HD 6970 model 11187-00-40R – that I wish to watercool. I was planning on going with an EK block (EK-FC6970 V2), since I KNOW that would have fit, but that model is no longer to be found anywhere (new OR used).

Other blocks are still to be had, but they are all listed as “for reference boards” only. My question is, IS the 11187-00-40R a reference board? I haven’t been able to find confirmation of this information. If anybody knows one way or another, I’d love some help!

-Tuthmose

2. legoman

legoman breaker of things

3. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I'm on my phone so can't use the website easily, but coolingconfigurator.com would be worth a nosey - will identify ref boards ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tuthmose likes this.
  4. Tuthmose

Tuthmose Minimodder

Actually, its coolingconfigurator.com which got me tracking this down in the first place. Its seems from their site that AMD made TWO reference versions of the card; the differences lie in the voltage regulators. According to the site, my card is an example of the 2nd reference design. Thus, their EK-FC6970 V2 will fit my card, but their first version of the EK-FC6970 will not. Of course, the EK-FC6970 V2 is sold out :(

So . . . the logical question is, for all my remaining choices of waterblocks out there (XSPC, Heatkiller, etc.) that say "reference card only" . . . WHICH reference card design?!? Obviously, I'd rather not tear down an expensive (albeit older) card and buy an expensive bit of kit and then have them not work together. . .

-Tuthmose

jinq-sea likes this.
  5. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

it looks as though this is for a version 2 reference.

& if they don't have any (the adding it to the cart gives an error at my end) there's here instead (they've mistyped 6870 at the top), where it's certainly possible to add it to the cart & whatnot.

(both are US based)

[Edit]

& this (ended) eBay listing shows the 11187-00-40R with a Danger Den block on it.

Last edited: 15 Dec 2013
  6. Tuthmose

Tuthmose Minimodder

Thank you all for the help. Up further research, I've determined how to check - there is a slight difference in the placement of the mounting screw holes around the VRMs. If the two on the towards the front of the card are in line vertically, its a V1, if the top one is slightly to the rear of the bottom one, its a v2.

Sadly, it looks like nearly all of the WBs were made for the V1 versions. Other than that lone DangerDen block, all of the few V2 blocks are sold out of existence :( I'd hoped to avoid the DD one, seeing as how they've closed up shop and all. $120 for a kit with no possibility of support or spare gaskets is kind of sketchy. It looks like its my only hope, though, I guess.

Again, thanks to you guys for lending advice,
    -Tuthmose