1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Games Workshop

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by [ZiiP] NaloaC, 17 Jan 2011.

1. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

For saying you have brush control issues, that's really neat man

2. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

yeah i was going to do the recessed areas a darker colour, but i cant hold the brush steady enough, might have a go at it laster with a nuln oil wash or something

also great work on the thunderhawk, id love to see your whole army displayed sometime

3. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

The bomber is quite interesting though need to see more of it, not sure on the gyrocopter as it looks a bit small.

The runelord is a very interesting model, not sure about the metal banner above his head but i do like the artwork for the army book.

Not to worried about the mold lines lilgoth?

Last edited: 5 Feb 2014
  4. lilgoth89

not really, im not sure I can remove them without ball'sing stuff up

also any got any idea how to remove ALL paintwork from a model I have MOST of a land raider from a seller on Ebay in Germany but it is in the worst condition ive ever seen

looks like it was once ultra smurfs, but was then dipped in silver with the headlights painted with...looks kinda crumbly...like tip ex

as for my own ultra smurfs, im planning to just paint them all up as black Templars as ive really gone off the blue colour...and black seems easy to paint ( spray ALL OF THE THINGS!! ) and spray the shoulder pads white ^_^ it should be pretty effective

5. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Liking the Tau delivery vans, nice choice of colours and the finish looks proper smooth.

Black's a tricksy one to paint, sure getting a sold base down is nice and easy and you don't need to do much in the way of shading but building up the highlights without turning everything grey can be a bit of a git to do.

On my Templars I use a (very) old pot of ghoul grey which has a slight greenish tinge to it and just hard line the edges of the armour. THat works just fine for the rank and file guys then I spend a fair bit longer on the figures that have a bit more meaning to them such as the sergeants, chaplain and so on.

Vehicles are another matter and to be honest, I've kinda been putting those off for a while. The edge highlighting still works but you need a little bit of a build up into it otherwise it just looks like just what it is, flat black with a grey line.

If you are going monochrome then see if you can work out a good spot colour to use to add in a bit of something. I am painting all the wreaths as though they were actual green leaves rather than silver or gold and the handles of power weapons along with the cords and ropes on certain figures are all purple. I pick out certain gems in blue and cables or fuel lines are sometimes in yellow, there's not enough other colours to make them look like clowns but enough to add in a bit of variety Of course the red purity seals and eyes always pop out a bit, talking of the seals, get a fine (0.05 or 0.1mm) technical pen for doing the writing, soooooo much easier than trying to paint them.

6. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

7. Almightyrastus

fairy power spray is the awesome for stripping models (and cleaning stuff...)

8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Another vote for Fairy Power Spray. Brilliant stuff, never without a bottle of it.

9. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Fairy power spray is fantastic another vote from me.

Though I do prefer detol for metal

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

10. clartymarty

clartymarty What's a Dremel?

Another one for me too! Can't recommend anything better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. philheckler

philheckler Used to be a pc enthusiast

Me and the missus fight over the stuff !

bit sad , all i've got to paint at the mo are these...

may pick up the new dwarf dragon slayer tomorrow...

[​IMG]

Last edited: 7 Feb 2014
  12. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Minigun ganger turned up today. Package included a hand-written note to apologise for the delay in shipping and some sweets as well! :D

Will post up a photo once I get it cleaned up, primed and assembled.

13. lilgoth89

[​IMG]

shot of the almost finished devilfish

thinking of changing the little vent on the back of the drones to black, need to finish the hatch and paint the sides of the intakes silver / black wash. then apply transfers and move onto the hammer head

also got the first piranha started
    [​IMG]

14. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Looking very well man!

Guys which size RUB do you guys recommend for storing miniatures?

15. philheckler

philheckler Used to be a pc enthusiast

[​IMG]

Night gobbo done...

16. Almightyrastus

It is nice when we get a picture rush on here.

Liking the Tau colours, can't go wrong with toffee and custard, omnomnom ;-) Nice and neat which is the main thing. I see a lot of stuff painted with people trying all the fancy tricks under the sun, but they are for nothing if the model is not neat.

Gotta love a fanatic, just the right mix of danger and damage.

I picked up the Dwarf Slayer yesterday and jumped on it as soon as I got in. The most enjoyment I ave had painting in a long time. Some of the pics are a little blurry in places but that's because of the depth of field on the settings my wife was using. I've tried to compensate with other shots.

First, the base:

[​IMG]

I was thinking about copying the GW one and painting the statue up as stone then I thought it looked a lot like the prow of a viking long boat so I went for wood. The gems in the eyes have been built up with gloss varnish, I started by drilling out the bumps that were cast in there (never been good at painting bumps to look like gems) then painted the blue in the socket followed by a small bit of the normal gem painting method, then LOTS of layers of gloss varnish to build up the depth again. They look like real glass with the reflections that move around as you turn the model as they now have real depth, not just simulated and painted depth.

The fella himself:

[​IMG]

Looking at these pics, I think I need to go back and tweak his right eye a little but on the whole I am pretty pleased with how things turned out. The orange was built up from more layers and mixes than I can remember of both old and new paints as well as inks, washes and glazes.

And now for the back:

[​IMG]

The obelix paintjob that GW have done on the trousers looks nice and all but I've always thought of dwarves as being a touch scottish with the slayers being the mad Glaswegians, hence the tartan trousers. That seam on the top of the statue on the base came out way too prominent in the picture... I used the new Blood for the Blood God on the axes which worked out pretty well, hopefully it doesn't look like I used too much... Another reason I went with the green tartan was that a model never looks like there is any colour on it unless there is a bit of green somewhere. Try it with your paint pots. Line a load of them up and take out all the greens, now put one back in and boom, there's all the colour back in them.

Let me know if you want any other angles.

17. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

What size models do you want to store as i have got infantry/chariots/cav no tall spears in a 4 litre box wide.

Anything larger will need more height- so a 12 litre box is pretty good for dragons/wraithlords etc, though anything like a wraithknight/riptide will need a larger box if stored standing.

Staples have a good selection and usually offers on, supermarkets and other places do have other sizes.

18. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Next week releases are Dwarf Ironbreakers £30 and Dwarf Battleline £100, will see them this sat WD weekly.

19. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Its for storing warriors of chaos models so there shouldn't be much that's too high. I'll pick up a 4 litre box and some sort of magnetic receptive material for the bottom and give it ago.

Also do you guys have any suggestions of how to make a tabbard for a wraithknight?

20. Almightyrastus

Buy a bottle of wine that has a metal cap over the cork. That very soft metal is awesome to work with and you get wine while you do it. win, win