Networks Wired my house, awful Ethernet speeds...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cleggmeister, 11 Mar 2014.

1. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Wiring is a pig of a job, when it goes well it doesn't matter, but hit a snag and it will literally s*&t all over your day.
    I have lost a lot of hours in my life thanks to making a run too short by inches, or not being able to drop between walls, or not correctly terminating cables.

Btw you should be able to emulsion over the cable, worked for me and kept Mrs Bear happy as the grey was gone.

There is more satisfaction in finishing a job that isn't easy though. Good luck with it!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Cleggmeister likes this.
  2. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

Fixed :) :) :)

The RJ45 connectors I mentioned were 2 piece, recommended for shielded cable and looked a bit more "funky" than standards. We've probably crimped 25 during this little project with no luck.

Decided to try bog-standard RJ45's instead, terminated all four in 15 minutes, all showing perfect connectivity and now getting 1000Mbps from every wire.

And my stereo sounds better too (slightly, but definitely better).

Je suis une happy camper. Shame it's a bit early for a beer... :(

3. Fruitloaf

Fruitloaf Tinkerer

Well done, once you get the knack of terminating at least it never seems to leave you. Now you just need to wire up some patch panels, that's a fun job.

4. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

I prefer to look at it like it is just really really late.

5. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Probably will be since OP's been up all night terminating cables!

Glad to hear it is all fixed though and that you got to the bottom of it in the end.
    Make do with a cup of tea and a bourbon (biscuit, not whiskey) until later in the day!

6. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

You were probably using Cat6 connectors. The wire insulation on cat6 is slightly thicker than cat5e, so the smaller cat5e wires may have been loose, leading to a poor crimp.

As an aside, I had the displeasure of trying to terminate a 3 piece cat6a connector a couple weeks back. Holy f&^k was that hard, even with solid cable.

And it's always 5pm somewhere (I go with noon personally), so next time, have that beer!

7. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

It was a weird one for sure. I'll post a pic of the 'rogue' connectors that caused me so much consternation. They were standard RS thingies and the main RJ45 looked normal to all intents and purposes. The big difference was the tiny 'insert' into which I first seated the strands, which in turn then slid into the main body for crimping.

Och well, a lesson learnt, and my house is now alive with simultaneous streaming music, films and joy as I shift data around at sexy speeds!

And I'm reet chuffed with the fact that, once I used normal connectors, all four worked 100% first time. Clearly I am a crimping god!