1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Star Citizen

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parge, 10 Oct 2012.

1. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

That's exactly it. The $5k package simply doesn't represent value for money in any way, which makes it a very stupid decision. If this was the only chance to obtain an Idris it might be different, but you'd be overpaying just to get LTI and nothing else.

I was looking through my hangar, and realised I would find it very hard to decide which ships to melt if I did have the opportunity to get an Idris. Ships like my 350R, M50, Gladiator and Retaliator are likely never to be seen again for purchase, and even ones like the F7C-M/F7C-S are pretty desirable. I couldn't melt my Rear Admiral base pledge package as I'd lose my first-run-only signed box copy of the game.

EDIT: The ship models are of the Constellation AFAIK

2. Thedarkrage

Thedarkrage Thats not a pic of me its my gf

Going to say looks like I missed loads the last few weeks bloody life getting in the way all the time lol

3. rollo

rollo Modder

Think paying $1k for game content is borderline nuts, People say dlc content in games is bad well theres a whole lot playing Star citizen who are paying for just a ship lol.

$5k is super duper crazy land thats like a deposit for a house in real money lol.

4. Bede

Bede Minimodder

+1. This game is bringing all the nutters out of the woodwork. The game itself may be great, but the shitstorm that will follow from the disappointment inevitably felt by someone who dropped £100+ on a game is going to be magnificent.

5. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I don't think you really say putting a large amount on a game is insane for everyone, it depends heavily on the circumstances of the person backing the game.
    If you're a regular consumer with an average job then yes, you could be considered quite crazy for dropping excessive amounts on a video game... but if you're well off and have some kind of personal bond to the project or people behind it, then sizeable pledges aren't that mind-boggling.

-----
    On the subject of the HUD, do we know if they'll be the option to change the colours of it?
    I couldn't see it mentioned.

At the moment I have to use one of my colour tint panels to see everything on the HUD because they've unfortunately gone for either green, yellow or blue on a dark background. I know it's one of those three colours, because those are the ones limited by my colour-blindness.
    It's not the end of the world having to use a tinted panel, but my best one is red which makes almost everything look lilac/violet. I don't really want to be playing purple spaceships if I don't have to...

6. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

Yeah, i've barely spend £3k on myself in the last year, so doing so on game content would be crazy. D

I think its not too bad if theres a handful of you and you all put in towards it, cos a lot of people will end up getting the benefits of co-owning it, and i can imagine its not going to be obtainable in-game without a heck of a lot of hours from each person, and no impulse purchases along the way.

But at the same time, if this game is going to last as long as most of us would hope, then its one hell of a target to work towards, rather than having it day 1.
    Im not really sure what the end goals are likely to be, but an Idris is certainly going to be one for the journey, along with owning a factories, a mining colony, stuff like that.

I've just realised that my 2x Dell SP2309s wont be able to go triple screen if i bought a 3rd, they're 2048x1152, dont have display port and the adaptors only go to 1920x1200 so i'd not get full screen/res (or heavily blurred) on it.
    Ended up getting 3x Dell U2913WM's, pretty much wipes me out now. 7680x1080 on a 270x wont be seeing much gaming any time soon. Leaves me enough to get some furniture in the room, and hopefully some scratch over the weekend to buy a multi-fan 290x.

7. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

It wouldnt surprise me if its a problem for the DFM v1, but its possible that they'll implement the setting at a later date.
    From the screenshot we've seen, its a light cyan and pink which is being used, im guessing thats light blue & red with alpha levels which make it look pinkish. They do look a bit washed out though, colour wise, so maybe its not a particularly good example or taken from a bad source or something

8. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

They're also paying to get the game developed in the first place. Without those people dropping large amounts of money, especially early on, it wouldn't have passed the initial funding goal.

I'm under no illusions that I'm backing SC to get it developed. Funding goals go towards development, not towards Chris Roberts' private bank account. Equally I draw a line - $3,000 for a ship? Err, no.

I don't get it. If the game is great, why would people be disappointed? Why would that generate a "shitstorm"? Equally, why do you have to be such a moose about it? If somebody wants to spend money like this, who are you to judge? It's their money, they earned it one way or another, and it's their right to spend it how they chose. Yes, you may well think it's better going towards a deposit for a house...but some of us have already gotten past that stage in life.

9. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

To be fair, i think some of it is a tad idiotic, and i say that having spent $340 on it so far, and wouldnt be surprised if that hit 500, and i still irrationally want to justify 5k on an idris which is more than i'll spend on myself (or others) this year.

But while id admit that'd be idiotic for me, and my circumstances, and many people may be disappointed (myself included) this isnt simply BF5 or GTA5, its a genre which has been woefully neglected and has a decent following still. I can imagine, had no proper race sims been made since Grand Prix Legends, just outrun types or NFS Shift, and then someone came back and said im building the single greatest racing sim experience you've ever dreamed of, will you help me make it, then they'd get a similar response.
    Both communities have similarities, there a people we enjoy the genre, and there are people who are simple nuts about it, spending hundreds on the accessories to make it feel real. Those same people will pay huge amounts so see the game they've always wanted to play, mature adults/nerds who appreciate what this is. Its not helping EA get richer on a 2yr cycle series, its a 10yr, constantly evolving and expanding game built with a passion for the work. People appreciate that, and it goes beyond getting content to that value in exchange for the money.
    yes, you're buying a ship, but thats not the sole reason for a lot of ppl, its paying for a dream to come true almost.

IMO, at least.

10. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Ignore Bede, he's just one of those people that likes to drop in somewhere just laugh at other peoples misfortune. Sadly, because he's not followed the development for this, he's totally ignorant to its development progression, and thus is getting excited about the idea that the game might be rubbish.

There is a reason that so many of us are so very excited, and its not just because of what we've been promised, but also because of the what we've seen being part of the process. Its finally a dev team doing everything right.

The best thing is, that it'll be us laughing at him in two years time, but he's too short sighted to see that right now.

11. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Just re-watched the video about developing the HUD they posted a few months back and caught the bit where they mention they're already working on letting players set their own colour-spaces for each part (mentioned at 6:20):

So I'm all relaxed about not having to worry too much about what I can and can't see clearly. :thumb:

I'll probably still use my tinted overlays for moments when I need to be a bit more serious with combat, in case ships themselves can have colours changed.

12. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

Wow, just watched that and dont believe ive seen any of it before. So now im going through all the Inside CIG & Studio Report videos and looking to see if theres more ive missed cos i love seeing these reports, and getting a look at how the hood might be, that depth and mass of info, is really interesting and exciting to see.

Good to see that they've already been thinking about the colour blind aspects, although im also thinking it'll be pretty cool for everyone as you'll be able to pick football colours or any funky set of colours you like or think feels most realistic to you.
    Now i want to know what hot pink, baby blue & white would look like in that environment :D
    [​IMG]

13. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Argh, Paul you're using the same avatar as me. I thought I was going crazy.

14. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

Yeah, I spent half of last night coming & going with slight variations on the logo. :D

First i figured i'd modify the avatar i posted in there to have the SC logo, then realised it looked like i'd taken your logo, put the white outline and my name into it and labeled it as my own.
    So then the outline went, which didnt help, so then there was a few variations on the background and the logo colouring etc

I've genuinely uploaded about 6 different logos overnight :D Didnt exactly help much though did it :/
    I'll invert it, transparent bg and a dark logo. that'll look decent and sufficiently different i guess. R3v just turned up 5min ago so excuse me if its not done asap ;)

15. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

shall I use it too, to really mess things up?

16. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Number 1 cause for the server problems right here :D jk

17. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

That kind of money spent on a game certainly seems crazy to me, but I guess it depends.
    If you get hundreds of hours out of it then it may be comparable to watch a film at the cinema (on a cost/time ratio) or like an MMO.

I think Bede has a valid point, I've no doubt there will be people who be disappointed, regardless of how good the final product is because it's got so much hype.

He's going to find the reactions of those people funny, which part of me can certainly understand.

18. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

Yeah, theres definitely been things ive read on the official forums where people are talking like open world means if they can imagine it, then they can do it. The one example which stands out was a 90min youtube video i was watching, where they were talking about a planet which had poisonous water, gasses or something in between based on something they must have read in the lore, and how they could walk into a bar full of people, put cubes of this killer ice into peoples drinks, and murder everyone. hahaha :eyebrow:

Its like they forget, while its not a completely linear scripted experience, everything which is possible has to have been scripted into the game. You can only drop poisonous ice cubes into someones drinks IF the developers script it so you can drop items into peoples drinks.
    Now, at what point the development must be at where the conversations goes 'right thats out of the way, next on the to-do-list is dropping items into drinks, im surprised its taken us this far to get around to it! Afterall, its up there with picking bogies and flicking them at hostiles during a boarding!!' ive no idea.
    While people assume anything is possible, as long as they can imagine it, people are going to be disappointed.

19. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

There, ive addressed the issue of the avatar, hopefully there will be no further mis-understandings ;)

btw, Parge, i was moments away from copying your avatar and using it as my own after seeing your comment earlier :D

Ive got about 1/3 of the R3v built now, spend about 2h getting that far, then had 2-3hr walk around Ikea, you spend days deciding what to buy, get there, then instead of spending £200 on 2 items, you end up leaving empty handed and looking at completely redoing the room. That makes a 290x a little harder to buy now, and i got the 3 Dell U2913WM's but havent opened them up yet.

20. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

I thought you got post count ++ happy.