1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

West Coast Choppers themed plexi case

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by dage, 16 Jun 2003.

1. dage

dage What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the compliment... hypeXt has it just about right... I'm also bouncing a hot-shoe flash off a red cabinet for some added warmth and side lighting.

It's a little pokey compared to a lot of other 600s, but I figure that helps keep me alive :eek:. Love the un-faired LC350s though! Hot look (thanks to someone that t-boned me last year, my bike shares the same unfaired look currently)

Not exactly sure what the limitations of this PSU are, but it has run my system (the 1800+, 1 hd, 1 cdrom, 4 fans, 4 cathodes) without wincing. Here's where I ordered it from, with specs. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

2. dage

dage What's a Dremel?

How about right now :D

Let's see if you all can guess what I'm making next...
    [​IMG]

Won't need all that plastic clutter
    [​IMG]

The back... couldn't get any simpler.
    [​IMG]

Ran into this at sears, so I had to pick up a couple (tire pressure):
    [​IMG]

Some persuasion of the dremel variety, and I have what I want
    [​IMG]

Then we print out some transparencies
    [​IMG]

Heh heh... transparency paper is cool (won't be using this, but couldn't refuse)
    [​IMG]

Then we print out some gauge faces
    [​IMG]

Here I am fashioning this stuff up in photoshop. Nothing special, but I'm proud of the hand (mouse) drawn flames.
    [​IMG]

To give a better idea, here's the transparency laid over the gauge face print (though there will be more of a gap, specifically the space for the needle mechanism.
    [​IMG]

Cut out, and test fit, and voila, HDD activity gauge.
    [​IMG]

No time to add the battery tester guts tonight, nor the red LEDs for dramatic effect... but it gives me something to look forward to. I am building a second one at this time as well (one HDD activity and one LAN activity since this is for my server). I plan on connecting the battery tester guts to my HDD/LAN LED headers off the motherboard. Simple & effective, I think. :thumb:

3. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

that a REALLY cool idea. Very well carried out. Props on the hand drawn flames, did you use the pen tool?

4. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

Nice, excilent work there!

Nice idea, using the guts of the batt testers but the gague housings, I never would have though of it.

BTY, not to be weird or anything, but what is West Coast Choppers anyway? Just curious :confused:

5. olv

olv he's so bright

wow thats such a sweet mod, nice work :thumb:

6. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

That's a clever idea, using a battery tester for activity. Have you tested that it's just to connect them to the HDD activity LED? Will the needles go farther when there is high activity, or do they just bounce around? If you have the equipment, please give us a little video of it when they are ready.

:thumb: :thumb: Two thumbs up from me.

7. the_secret

the_secret What's a Dremel?

-> nice work dude. that is quite ingenious of you :thumb:

8. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

WOW :jawdrop: this case is going to look so cool. Great work and such ingenious and original ideas.

9. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Very nice execution on the gauge. I did something like that with a VDO volt gauge for a similar case theme

Can't wait to see this project when its done.

btw: Your Honda looks like it would be a great SCCA SoloII car :thumb:

10. o0mercer0o

o0mercer0o What's a Dremel?

This is definitely one of the nicest mods i've seen. I love the theme and how clean everything looks. Excellent job on the gauges. I can't wait to see it finished.
    :clap:

11. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

:jawdrop: Look at that Schwag! Jesse's gone and combined a small pressure gague with a battery tester! You never know what's going to happen when modders are influenced by Jesse James... :D

Awesome, simply awesome. This is definetely a mod that I'm folling all the way to the end. I might even "steal" your gague idea. Much cheaper than what I was thinking of doing.

:eyebrow: And you're from the US? Shame on you! West Coast Choppers

12. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

mahaha I thought it was a tv series, I was so wrong :D they have some nice vehicles there. /me dreams of owning one.

13. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Actually, The Discovery Channel did a few specials on West Coast Choppers (So. California). Jesse James, the owner and builder is on the series Monster Garage. Those specials were the predicessor to the series American Chopper which is about Orange County Choppers (Hudson Valley New York - about 50 miles north of NYC).

14. godofuq

godofuq What's a Dremel?

You'd better not mess up on it or we'll get the minigun out and RX-7 it... :D Nice mods

15. djengiz

djengiz Pointless.

Cool!!!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

16. m00min

m00min What's a Dremel?

must
    have
    more
    photos

please

17. dage

dage What's a Dremel?

Just freehanded them with the lasso and cleaned up in quick mask. Those gauges are only 1.5" in diameter, and at 600dpi in photoshop (Working pixel resolution worked out to about 900x900), it was pretty easy to make them appear smooth. Using the pen tool would have probably taken 2x as long to map everything out.

Looks like you've been filled in... But if you have any interest in bikes, or documentary style shows, check out motorcycle mania I & II on discovery. Not sure if they'll air any time soon though.

Have not tested yet, but that tester works from < 1.5 - 9v, depending on which resistors you test through, so I'm hoping my rudimentary understanding of electronics will prevail. I haven't doubted it in the slightest until now, but I'm hoping if it can power an LED, it should be able to give me a couple volts to wiggle the needle. And I can't write software or build circuits from scratch worth a dern, so they will just bounce around all over the place :D. And sure, I'll take some video when they're done... as long as it works :worried: :hehe:

Ahh! I've checked out your case before... never caught the VDO gauge though! Do you have it rigged to a relay to zap it with 12v? Also, how hard was it to crack that open to replace the face?). I desperately wanted the 1.5" white faced volt gauge from iequus.com, but sadly they would not sell them alone, and I was not going to spend $85 to buy two of those triple gauge kits. Went the cheap route with a total of $20 for 2 battery testers and two tire pressure gauges. Very nice case btw!

And <off topic> here's the honda mnpctech is talking about, in case anyone is curious:[​IMG]... blazing at *almost 65mph* (2 cylinder, 35hp)... As for solo II, if only you knew how much body roll this thing has. I'm scared to turn at 20mph let alone higher speed. :p </offtopic>

Please do! I'd love to see your take on it. Those tire pressure gauges are the best thing I was able to find all week for faux gauges. Initially, I used PVC adapters on a drill (ala making your own vandal resistant switches) and sort of "lathed" them into submission (I'll show pics of that rejected idea later).

:eyebrow:

:D

18. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

Oh, well, bikes are not exactaly my thing, but I do watch monster garage every once in a while :thumb:

19. dage

dage What's a Dremel?

Rejected Gauge idea...

<rejected idea>

Here's my first gauge plan...

Got these pvc adapter things at home depot. They would have been perfect, because they even have screw on end caps that I could have mounted on the other side of the plexi
    [​IMG]

However after roughing one out... the walls were much too thick (just over 1" of working room in there), and that wasn't going to make a good gauge after all.
    [​IMG]

oh well, found something better :)

</rejected idea>

20. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Its 12V volt gauge from a VW Rabbit GTI hooked directly to the PSU through a molex. No relay needed.

I just pryed off the bezel trim with a micro screwdriver. You can see how I did it in my
    VENOM worklog at Gruntville :)