1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 8 Marmite thread... Because you either love it or hate it

Discussion in 'Software' started by TheStockBroker, 28 Feb 2012.

?

Windows 8: what is your opinion?

1. Love it: I'm already using it or planning to do so.

59 vote(s)
    41.0%
  2. Hate it: this evil spawn of Satan will never defile the sanctity of my computer.

37 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. It's OK with a Start Menu replacement and while bypassing Metro.

48 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

IF's or when's ain't gona keep people safe if they can't get to a non metered network, and we seem to be forgetting all those people who simply can't install the update because of errors.

2. Jay88018

Jay88018 What's a Dremel?

Iv got a copy of windows 8.1, if I ran it on a VM, would I be able to update it, so I could use it to see if I like how it works before I commit to a fresh install ??

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

That's kind of the case for all OS updates everywhere

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

OMFG, it's like you are a mind reader. :rock:
    Windows 8.1 Update: WSUS Availability, Extended Deployment Timing.
    http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/springboard/archive/2014/04/16/windows-8-1-update-and-wsus-availability-and-adjusted-timeline.aspx

5. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

you can set a metered connection to non metered if you want to, it's just a case of knowing that it may cost you an arm and a leg

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Yes. It should be working fine.
    Just keep in mind that if you install it as an actual OS on the system, and not a VM, that your experience will be more responsive, and faster than under V.M

Jay88018 likes this.
  7. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Courtesy of Hexus. While I can see the downsides, I think it's pretty cool.

8. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

I want one, lol

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I want the remote for my Windows MCE HTPC.

And would it have killed them to integrate the webcam into the bezel of the TV? Really...

10. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

For most tasks you won't notice any difference between a vm and the real deal. As long as you have a reasonable host machine. It will update fine.

Last edited: 17 Apr 2014
  11. Jay88018

Jay88018 What's a Dremel?

Thanks. Part of the reason for trying it on a VM 1st was I need to write a step by step report and include screenshot pictures of me installing an OS on a machine for my college course.

Im using my own machine, I normally give the VM 4 cores and 8gb of memory so it simulates a reasonable system. Only problem I have is I can only set 128mb to the graphics, even though my card has 2gb. Not important, but I thought about runnin folding on a VM using mint to see if I got any more PPD, but that kinda is ruled out.

12. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Yes folding is one of those use cases real hardware is definitely better.

13. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

14. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

15. impar

impar Minimodder

16. workingclass

workingclass What's a Dremel?

Just wanted to throw this in here. Having been studying for the 2012 server exams lately, I was quite amazed at just how much improvement there has really been from 7 to 8.1. For business environments its almost like the jump from XP to Vista. The amount of improvements and added features is huge and it really strikes me as odd how poorly and uninformed the reception has been.

Just my 2 cents.

17. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    The lack of choice in the UI is the main complaint, not the under the hood changes.

18. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

There is no more lack of choice in how the UI works than any previous Windows versions. Some elements are simply different. If one stays out of metro apps the differences are not that great really between 7 and 8.1.
    I think too few people realize all the differences between 8 and 8.1 and are stuck on all the bad press that 8 got and have never given 8.1 a fair chance. I do have a server 2012 (not R2) essentials, and even I get annoyed at some things when I remote in to do some tasks as getting to some places and some things involves quite different steps. Since it has the same as 8 more or less with some extra bits... but I do think the original 8 style UI was not as good at all for desktop user. Even though the differences are technically minor the user experience those differences are quite major.

19. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Exactly. Microsoft decided to change just because. Had they offered the option to use the classic UI most of the complaints about W8 would disappear.
    Now most of the UI improvements that came in and were announced are corrections of what was found lacking back in 2011 during the first Preview.

20. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I think MS decided to change to create a unified experience across platforms that actually worked with a touch interface too. Instead of just mouse and keyboard. Not 'just because'.

From W8, I miss the start screen hot corner. My memory isn't like a goldfish so i can remember it's there :p and I miss the old customise menu that came up when selecting tiles on the start screen. It looked prettier ^^