1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Metaversa 02: Ada

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Nexxo, 21 Jan 2014.

1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

:sigh: That really makes me miss deadly red-letter Nexxo, the fastest hammer in the logs.

2. Zsolt Guriga

Zsolt Guriga What's a Dremel?

Nexxo! I can not find words man how this looking extremely brutal:thumb:.
    But I can say,like we Hungarians saying,when see something very impressive work

" Le a kalappal "

I try to explain what is means,well this means when for example the King step into room when we are,than every one of us bends and takes off the hat.:)

3. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

Not what I meant. I probably would've explained it more clearly, but I've never been good with tablets.

I didn't intend to phrase it as though I was talking about c-clips... I intended plastic clips... Rather than the other way of holding them using magnets.

ANYWAY... Any timeframe for the next update?

Don't we all?

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I aten't dead...

As Granny Weatherwax would say. :)

Work and various other Real Life™ commitments have taken me away from this project a bit, although rest assured that in the background there has been a lot of planning and part-execution of various devices and constructs. But I don't want to post those parts before they are truly underway lest it all gets rather chaotic and confusing.

Meanwhile however, I have been pondering the problem of how to paint the Phanteks PH-F140XP fans when there is no way to temporarily remove the propellor from the frame.

Here, the fan in its "before" state:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see the problem: no way of removing a retaining C-clip on the axis of the propellor at the back. With some Coolermaster fans you can instead, with a little force, pop the propellor right off its axis. Not so with the Phanteks. This may have something to do with their fancy patented UFB bearing. Instead, the answer was masking tape. The judicious and patient application of lots of masking tape:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then judicious spraying with VHT satin black vinyl dye (I can tell you, that stuff smells. Don't use in a well-ventialted area as much as in a wind tunnel). Interestingly it does not appear to sink into the plastic (as is often stated) but to form a tough, thin rubberly film over it with 100% coverage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The result, after drying and removal of the tape:

[​IMG]

Some touching up around the back of the hub and the very edges of the blades was done with a fine brush.

Finally, the brass cones which I turned on my lathe recently were secured in place with some superglue:

https://forums.bit-tech.net/index.php?media/phanteks-ph-f140xp-after-2.36447/

And the overall result is thus:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've tested the fans: they spin nicely and the balance does not appear to have been affected by the dye.

The current state of play:

[​IMG]

Lasercut panels are underway, as well as some other interesting items. Wait until you see what I have in store for the power/reset switches... :naughty:

Last edited: 7 Dec 2020
  5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Oof! That rug! My eyes are freaking out trying to read it. Instead of ogling the awesome, I had the word "rubberqueef" jump out at me.:lol:

6. siliconfanatic

It's now that I can see just why they had to be black...
    I honestly don't think I've seen better looking fans anywhere else...

Cannot... Unsee...

7. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

This project is looking really insane. Planning has come a very long way!

8. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Very nice fans Nexxo ! On a side note, is that hexadecimals writting on your carpet ? :D

9. Nexxo

It is. It's an old IKEA carpet. Don't ask me what the code means. :p

10. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I believe it's repeating the word "carpet" over and over.

Great work thus far, though I'd love to see some more structural work. Call me greedy.

Also, I ordered $110+ of veneers. A great lot will go in my case, if you see some you like let me know and I'll get it to you. Never know when a bit of marquetry will come in handy.

11. GeneralFun

GeneralFun Lurker with tools

It's work like this that's inspired me to join the community after years of lurking and admiring! Now I can add my comments to the fray!
    Thoughtful design being followed with superior craftsmanship!
    Should turn out an award wining build!
    "Rubberqueef?"
    Ha!

12. douglas alves

douglas alves Minimodder

Muito bom seu trabalho. adorei o projeto. parabéns..

13. lowfat

lowfat Minimodder

Although I am a couple of days late you can pop the blades off. Hold the frame tightly in one hand. Pull on the blades w/ the other hand. You have to pull relatively hard so try to hold the fragile parts of the frame to prevent it from snapping. The blades will eventually come free without any clips or anything holding it in. To put the blades back in you just pop them back in. I dyed my PH-F140XPs black and they turned out great.

14. Nexxo

If only you had told me last week! :waah: Still, good to know for future reference.

15. Nexxo

More fun with lathes

It has been a somewhat slow few weeks recently. Work and Real Life™ demands have interfered in a steady progress on the project. What's more, two lasercut panels that I ordered from The Laserhive arrived the wrong size: somehow during the translation of the .SVG file to .DXF the dimensions shrunk by a ratio of 0.93... But David Chugg, the proprietor, was very apologetic and helpful and will quickly send me the correct versions, so it will all work out.

That has not stopped me from doing what I can in the meantime. Frustratingly it is all bits and pieces rather than seeing one stage through to its completion, so bits and pieces are all I have to show.

First, I have been turning the Power/Reset levers from 16mm diameter brass bar:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Below the completed pair, one already drilled and tapped for an M4 screw. What I am going to do with these will become clear in due time... but it is going to be very cool. :D

[​IMG]

Another aspect of Ada I wished to pay attention to is the mains cable. One does not simply connect a Steampunk(ish) computer to the mains with unsightly black PVC flex! No, that will not do. I therefore sought inspiration elsewhere.

We all know how esoteric HiFi shops sell those rather expensive mains cables which are supposed to improve the sound quality of one's equally expensive components:

[​IMG]

All snake oil, of course. Moreover prices range from £100,-- to (in the case of the Furutech Alpha cable) £1450,--. For a power flex. Sod that: a modder makes his own.

Enter: a nice-looking IED C21 plug ordered on ebay for £5,--:

[​IMG]

Although the black plastic collar is reminiscent of bakelite, and therefore not totally unbefitting the aesthetics of this project, there was something bothering me... Something not quite right... Then it struck me. Of course! It is obvious! It is not l33t. I shall make it l33t... starting with parting off a section of 40mm diameter brass bar:

[​IMG]

Which after drilling a set of progressively larger pilot holes with the tailstock is bored out:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then a 10.4mm hole is drilled to accommodate fabric braided 3-core (16A) flex:

[​IMG]

And the second part of the chamber is bored out. The resulting ledge is where the IED plug will screw to this new collar:

[​IMG]

Thus the plug before:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the plug after:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I should say that it is not quite complete. There will be some profiling and chamfering of the outside walls, to afford an easier grip and also to make it, well, more Steampunk. :)

EDIT: Like so:

[​IMG]

More to come soon! :dremel:

Last edited: 7 Dec 2020
  16. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

DO WANT. I really should post a pic or two of my Decopunk project, but currently it's in a state where it's impossible to see where I'm headed. Still have a lot to clean up and install before it looks like a... something.

I need to quit lying about and get back to veneering. Thanks for the motivation.

17. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Wondering if weight is going to be a problem on that. Seems like given it's weight and inertia it would be relatively easy to accidentally yank out of the computer.

18. Nexxo

Not so much. I've hollowed it out quite a bit, and the deep ridge helps. There will be some more adornment that will remove some material.

And I have some ideas to keep the cable firmly in place when arranged on the floor or desk... :naughty:

19. siliconfanatic

Always good to see folks taking the dremel to mains cables... Despite being out in the open they seem to be easily forgotten by most. Hopefully modding them will start to trend.

20. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

I'm also going to make custom mains cable for my project, but my plan was just to take normal mains cable, replace the ordinary schuko connector with something more l33t and sleeve the cable itself with some nice cable sleeve.

Now that you are raising the bar here too (damn you!), I propably have to get back to drawning board. :idea: