1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Virgin media broadband

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by enfluence, 10 May 2014.

1. enfluence

enfluence Minimodder

Hey I'm thinking about going to virgin which I think personally is a terrible idea as last time i had them (5 years ago) I had pings of about 8000 in most gaming servers I played. I've done some research and visited the actual virgin forums for gamers and it seems like nothing has changed and its still awful but non the less I literally cannot stand my slow Internet and even though I'd prefer bt infinity I just don't see it happening as I've waited for at least 2 years now. Does anyone here actually have anything good to say about them?

2. cdb

cdb No comment

I've never seen a ping of anywhere near 8000. Today it was 11. I think the worst I've seen was about 100+. They're OK, but expensive to me having the standalone broadband.

3. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

4. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Never had a problem with. Best thing I did was go with them

5. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

Remember do you ever go on a forum to say how great a company is or do you go on to complain about an issue you have had/ are having and get help?

Look at the scan forums for example.

6. enfluence

enfluence Minimodder

That would go hand in hand with everything else except I've dealt with these guys before and my area is absolutely horrible when it comes to broadband with these guys. The weird part was I got told about them during a call to BT about Infinity...they literally started going on about the packages and even tried to get me to buy them on the phone!

7. matt_lumley

matt_lumley You're only supposed to...

Not had a problem my end, been with them for a while now. Incidentally I do rep for them (through Campus Media/Industries).

[​IMG]

8. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

I've had Virgin for the last 6 years now at two address.

The appear to get a bit of flack but for me I cant fault the service. I think once our superhub went a little crazie, spoke to the CS, explained before he ran through his checklist that I work in IT and I have already ran through their normal steps. 3 minutes later engineer booked for the following day.

I play WoW, EvE and CS:GO and cant say I have any major issues relating to my ISP.

9. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Over the past year I struggled with Virgin Media, their traffic shaping during peak time meant my connection was so bad I couldn't load a web page let alone play a video game online.

Got on their community forums and things got fixed pretty quickly. Three to Six months later same issue.

The last time was December 2013. Finally had enough switched to BT infinity and can say best decision I have ever made.

I get what I am stated to get almost all the time, and when it dips it's by 10meg at the most. Plus awesome upload speed for streaming to twitch and upload to youtube.

10. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I think that the service quality is entirely based upon location - some places it's amazing, others it's awful. I had it at two places in Cardiff and it was atrocious as was my connection I had in a place in N. London.

Base your decision upon whether it's decent in your area :)

11. enfluence

enfluence Minimodder

Well looking at the majority of the reviews posted here
    http://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/www.virginmedia.com
    it seems like their one of the worst companies out there.
    Apart from pings and such I'm not sure I want to take a gamble of being locked into a 18month contract :/

12. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

I wouldn't believe that as people will get vocal when things don't work, but very rarely leave positive feedback if they are happy with the service.

As others have said, how good VM connections are depend on how the area. Some areas are over subscribed (and are likely waiting for VM to upgrade them), but other areas are great.

I have a VM connection in the South City (Semi detached and detached houses) and it's fast and stable, but I have friends in the North (high density terraced housing) who complain about theirs...