1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Official Watch Dogs Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by SuperHans123, 6 Apr 2014.

1. boltonuk007

boltonuk007 What's a Dremel?

Ive still got big SLI problems and so do a lot of people out there by the looks of it.

2. chewbaccas_nan

chewbaccas_nan Minimodder

I'll get this game when its been more optimised, it does look good though.

3. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

Minot having any problems running it on sli. That might have something to do with having 4gb VRAM though.

Have you tried changing the page file size or trying borderless window mode? That is supposed to help out a bit.

4. davvy76

davvy76 Minimodder

I bought Dog Watchers for the xbox one and I have to say i'm pleasantly surprised by the performance of it, obviously lower res but its incredibly smooth considering the hardware.

5. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Does it look as god as this, or [Redacted]?

6. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

7. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

My copy does not look like that :waah:

8. chewbaccas_nan

chewbaccas_nan Minimodder

You know when you see a burger on a menu board/TV advert in McDonald's and then you receive it and its half the size and looks like it's been stuffed down one of the employee's pants? That's what's been done with Watch Dogs.

9. loftie

loftie Multimodder

:hehe:

10. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

it certainly raises the question of false advertising.

11. dannyj94

dannyj94 Former 3XS System Builder

I have already played this game on PC and its seems to me that the game isn't quite perfected for PC users. I experienced lots of frame dropping and low FPS deteriation in specifically the first mission. It wasn't to long after that the game actually started to crash out on me. Hopefully a patch will be launched soon.

12. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

After fiddling with the settings it's running really well. Textures are set to medium then everything else is maxed out. Getting around 45-50fps when driving (which tends to be the most labour intensive...). It looks very good.

The game itself is disappointing. They should have decided to either make it like GTA or it's own thing. To me it's literally like they've used the basic's of GTA and given him a pretty awesome smart phone to hack things with. Not the world changing game it was hyped up to be.

13. boltonuk007

theres also elements of Assassins Creed in there

14. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

I've not played the game but I've just read a review of the graphics on HARDOCP

Watch Dogs Image Quality

Texture Quality

In our Watch Dogs AMD & NVIDIA GPU Performance Preview we found that "Ultra" textures demand more than 3GB of VRAM. The question was is it worth it to run this game at "Ultra" textures? The answer is yes. We have discovered many situations where there are big differences between "High" texture quality and "Ultra" texture quality. We've noticed this on textures on buildings, indoors and outdoors, on posters, billboards in the game, and basically any type of image put over a texture. It is a very texture-rich gameplay world.

One thing we need to expand on, from our performance evaluation is that we tested the game at 2560x1600 resolution. At that resolution, 3GB of VRAM wasn't enough for smooth performance with "Ultra" textures. We didn't talk about lower resolutions 1080p. From further testing it seems like performance and consistency is just fine on 3GB video cards to run at "Ultra" textures at 1080p. Lower resolution means less strain on video RAM capacity, and thus "Ultra" is playable on 3GB cards. If you have a larger display though, 1440p and upwards, 3GB will be a limitation to run "Ultra" textures.

HBAO

Ambient Occlusion is a subtle effect that is hard to see in static screenshots, but in-game, and in motion, this affect adds environment and depth to the game. We did find that there was a big difference between the game's lowest MHBAO setting, which is enabled in "Ultra" mode versus HBAO+ High. You have to manually increase HBAO, even at "Ultra" to receive the highest form. There is a performance hit, but image quality does improve.

Anti-Aliasing

Watch Dogs is a prime example of the kind of game that can bring AA support to PC gaming to improve the gameplay experience. Wolfenstein had no AA options at all in-game. Watch Dogs is forward thinking on the PC as it supports and gives you a ton of AA options from FXAA, to SMAA, to Temporal SMAA, to MSAA to TXAA. It allows the gamer to customize their experience and performance for image quality.

Overall, we found that SMAA or Temporal SMAA is the best AA option. It provides great image quality, reducing aliasing at many extreme angles on polygon objects. It also does not suffer from the slight blurring that FXAA suffers from. SMAA also does not cause a performance impact, so it's a feature you can leave on and enjoy a great image quality with no impact on performance. We need to further examine Temporal SMAA to find out what benefits it has over SMAA.

We also found that TXAA does suffer from creating a massive blur effect in the game on textures and objects and basically the entire scene. In some rare cases, it can help far off objects because of that blur. However, in most cases it reduces the overall clarity and sharpness of textures in the game, and negates the benefit from enabling "Ultra" textures. It also isn't perfect, even at 4X TXAA it was lacking in the ability to AA some extreme polygon angles.

The Bottom Line

While these are just a few image quality properties of Watch Dogs it shows that this game is built with unique PC options that help image quality. There are other image quality aspects we haven't looked at yet either, including shadows, lighting, and shader effects.

On the whole, Watch Dogs does look very good on the PC when you are able to utilize the highest in-game settings and "Ultra" textures. There has been a lot of debate about the quality, we have watched some gameplay videos on YouTube of this game on consoles like the PS4. In terms of image quality, what we experience on the PC looks superior in image quality to the console's image quality. The key is to enable "Ultra" textures and HBAO+ High with "Ultra" settings and SMAA and this game will look great on the PC.

15. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

Hmm. I found that ultra textures made everything a bit darker, and to me that's just a way of hiding detail. On foot my relatively aged PC can cope fine, but when driving there's constant frame jumping/stuttering. It makes driving unplayable. It's a recognised issue that they seem to be working on.

In terms of the Assassin's Creed comparison, to an extent I agree, but again it's like they've grabbed the basic's of the game but nothing else. You can't jump of your own accord, only when it prompts you to climb an obstacle. I hate this in a game. There are some aspects where the free-running looks really good, but pulling it off is just sheer luck.

16. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Can you guys actually log in to uplay (udont play for me)

error error error for best part of 2 days

17. Bhuvsta

Bhuvsta Minimodder

I had quite a few crashes but making a page file stopped them. I'm not sure why as my RAM use never went above 4GB. My 2500K and R9 290 are running the game fine at 1080p ultra. Except for driving, which slows down a bit.

I'm quite enjoying the game so far, not that I've played too much of it. I prefer the gun play and cover system to GTAIV.

18. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Got it working again, love it so far, issues aside that is

19. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Mint, had my first crash, it is not a problem as i was not anywhere near finishing a mission

:waah:

20. boltonuk007

cant even get it to come on now, just comes up with "Watch dogs has stopped working" message, not changed a thing.