1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling i7 4790k Woes (h80i cooler)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by notmeagain, 30 Jul 2014.

1. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

Gents, Possibly ladies...

I jumped up from a 2500k to a 4790k last week, in doing so I bought a new H80i to replace my aged h60.

I'm experiencing some very bizarre results since doing this.

I'm getting idle temps of ~55*c, water temp ~45*c (So there is heat transfer ocurring?) peaking @ 80 under load

The CPU is @ stock, 1.20v as reported in the bios.
    I've reinstalled/cleaned the cooler and cpu many times, using AS5, MX4, Ceramique, looking at the paste it's an even spread, and results never vary.

I've even added some washers on the backplate to ensure there's even pressure across the core.

Is this thermal behaviour normal for a 4790k?
    My 2500k sat ~30*c, peaking @ 60* under load as an example.

halp plx.:blush:

2. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

is the bios reporting the same temps?

also do you have access to possibly a separate fan controller that uses its own temp probes, cause if so I would definitely check that.

to me seems like you have done everything a responsible user does in that you have re done it several times, and with different paste too.

Have you also checked the BIOS and flashed any new ones, as you never know it might just be a weird fault, where the BIOS is not reading temp correctly and that passes to the OS and then to CPU-z orw/e you use to monitor.

If you can though I personally would get my hand on an external fan control that comes with temp probes and use that, or one of those laser temp sensors as you can just point it at your cpu or the water block.

3. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Haswells are much hotter than the SB stuff.

Seems high but I have read a few people with similar results.

4. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

Aye, I've read the same.

I've also read several reviews where they're harping on about how the new TIM they're using on the die is helping to created a better thermal package (ghz/celcius).

Some of the reviews are showing temps hovering around 30-40 idle.

I know it's the stress temps that really matter in the grand scheme of things, but i'm trying to establish a baseline in temperatures and seeing if i fall into the "good" category or the "lol you bought a p4 again" category :)

Jup!
    Due diligence is key.

Running on the latest available for my z87 UD5h (It's second hand, but I know the previous owner well and can account for the board being in good nick)

I've nicked a laser reader from work, and It's showing minus 2-3* variance from what I'm seeing in the temperature monitor (Corsair Bloaty Link)

I've been reading about "adjusted voltage" being pumped in to the CPU, -z is showing 1.18-1.24v, so I've no idea what those chaps are chatting about, i seem to be well within the goldi-locks zone of volts :)

Just double checked the bios settings, all C-States, and EIST are enabled, CPU's reporting 1.4ghz idle, this is confusing :)

Perhaps ambient's too high right now and it's skewing my deltas...

5. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

It could be the ambient temps they do make a big difference, might also be the h80 being faulty, don't suppose you have the old h60 or 2500k to test either the new cpu with new cooler and old cpu with new cooler or old cooler on new cpu and well you get the picture to see if the cooler is the problem?

6. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

If it helps... I have a H100 here going spare. I've just replaced it with a H105. It's 2 years old, had a hard life, but works. Could do with with a air blasting to clear the rad out properly etc. has some AS5 stains on the copper... Pay postage and it's yours. £10 should cover it recorded 1st class.

@ trashcanman Not been very active on here Lately.. last I looked, you had a SB-E rig.. what happened?

Last edited: 31 Jul 2014
  7. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

Hello mate :D been busy with life/work started a new job in woking, don't have too much time for computers anymore :( and most of my spare money is spent on cars :jawdrop: although being on here is tempting me to build a small rig again :D

Hows things with you mate?

Apologies for the thread hijack op.

8. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

your temps are worse than what i get with a low profile air cooler on my 4790k, something is wrong

unless if you're doing your testing in the sahara desert or something, in which case your temps are pretty good

9. Pookeyhead

I'm good. Same here... work and photography is keeping me very busy. All is well though.

Glad to hear all is well :)

10. Pookeyhead

Note:

I've just tried to find the box for the H100 and can't find it anywhere. Therefore the only mounting hardware I have, is what's currently installed... i.e, LGA2011. You can buy replacement parts direct from Corsair though,.

11. RagingMadman

RagingMadman What's a Dremel?

From everything you've done I'd come to the conclusion that the pump is the most likely culprit.

12. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

Pumps showing a steady 2.5k rpm, water temps are rising in conjunction with CPU temp, and temp average across the entire cooler is ramping up too :)

I think it's the gigabyte board fudging something up.

I'll strip it all back this weekend

13. davidbrown1988

davidbrown1988 Minimodder

I've done some digging and I found a few things hidden around the edges of the net in the odd forum post here and there.

From what I've found it seems that some people who have ordered after the 21st July seem to be having some problems. Before this date there where no problems being reported on the internet. Since this date there has been a few.

One individual has had theirs replaced 3 times if you believe their forum post

I bought an i7-4790k on 21st July and had idle temps at 46c with the stock cooler and loads up to 103c at times.

I've also had this verified as being the temperatures on my chip by the retailer. See my post here:
    Code:
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=3665235#post3665235
    Of course whether this issue has always been present and people just didn't start posting about it until this date or whether its a bad batch I'll leave up to you to speculate.

Some people have suggested turning of hyperthreading can drop up to 18c off the chip temps. But if you do this you might as well have bought an i5. :sigh:

If your interested check this link out:
    Code:
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2198342/4790k-cpu-temps-high.html
    Ignore the numpty mounting a CPU cooler without thermal paste and scroll down to the posts starting on 20th July.

From my hunting around on the net and reading pretty much every review or forum post I can get my hands on:
    Idle temps should be 28-40c
    Load temps should be 60-80c

It does seem surprising that your idles can be so high, yet your load temps still on a par with the worse end of these chips.

I'm going to be sourcing a new one in the near future so I guess we'll see how that compares.

Last edited: 1 Aug 2014
  14. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

Thanks for the digging, glad I'm not lonely in the rampant temperature differences.

I've swapped out the fans on the H80i for some nice Noctua 12f's (But they whine, like crazy) and cleaned off all of the AS5 and replaced it with IC diamond something or other.

Temps are still up at the high 40's idle, but load temps avg ~75*

I can't beleive this chip runs so hot, it's a TDP of ~88w, the H80 should be eating it for breakfast :(

More digging by myself required.

15. doyll

doyll Minimodder

Do you have another cooler you could put on to see how it cools?

16. RagingMadman

Can you not RMA the chip or return it?

17. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

Under what basis :'(?
    It's operating at "Advertised" temperatures, not BSODing, Smoking, or otherwise erupting in fiery death :(

I'm still trying to determine if it's
    a lemonized p4 clone
    my cooler is fagging up (H60 does the same by the way, but higher load temps, evo 212 on the way)
    My mobo's sending massive volts via VRIN, LLC, or any other vector

I know reviewers get cream of the crop chips, but I have an L3 chip - same batch in most good temp reviews so my mind is focussing purely on factors I have a chance to control.

Would it be beneficial to open a support query with Aria (who i bought from) just to hold the door open to an RMA whilst testing?

18. RagingMadman

I would focus solely on RMA possibilities. You're using an aftermarket cooler not the stock cooler. Throw the stock cooler on and document the temps. I'd almost guarantee you will see throttling and overheating. Therefor no longer operating within manufacturer specifications. BAM! RMA here we come.

19. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

Great point, didn't think of that :)

Some updates however:

Again, I stripped and cleaned, reset the backplate, re-applied IC-7, set fans on push-pull exhaust.

Idle temps 35-40*
    Load temps (Gaming, Recording, Streaming): 75-80*
    Load temps (Prime95): 98-100* - I know P95 causes haswells to burn in hell, so that's expected.

Does this seem more inline with operational norms?

I've submitted a ticket with Aria, and am awaiting their response.

20. davidbrown1988

davidbrown1988 Minimodder

Depending on when you ordered it and whether you brought it over the net or not you may have rights under the Distance Selling regulations (2000).

They in short entitle you to send anything back for a full refund for any reason so long as you notify them within 7 workings of receipt of delivery. This can be done via email (and others), but not phone.

You may have to pay the return shipping depending on the suppliers T & C's but that's it.

Have a read over this if you think it may apply to you:
    Code:
    [url]http://dshub.tradingstandards.gov.uk/dsrexplained[/url]

I also spoke to intel directly regarding this chip and their response was that I should not worry about it being 96C so long as it wasn't throttling :jawdrop:

I've got a second chip arriving today so I'll try post back with the updates tonight / tomoz. Fingers crossed.