1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Cooking a graphic card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Refugee, 21 Oct 2014.

1. Refugee

Refugee What's a Dremel?

So I have this GTX 470 graphic card and it's dead, so I believe or have at least heard of cooking them to try to bring life back to them (believe Kronos has done this) but I'm not certain how or for how long or at what temp you do this evil thing (bringing life to the dead).

So has anybody got any suggestion before the wife thinks I've gone completely insane when I put a card in the cooker and slowly watch it burn.

:idea::worried:

Last edited: 21 Oct 2014
  2. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Indeed I did though how you remembered as it was a few years ago is quite something and if memory serves I baked a 8800.
    Anyway there are plenty of videos and guides out there. Instructions here http://forums.evga.com/GTX-470-Artifacts-FIXED-BY-BAKING-IT-MUST-READ-m787715.aspx and videos by the dozen. https://www.google.co.uk/search?sou...k+to+life#q=baking+a+gpu+back+to+life&tbm=vid

It is quite a nerve racking business as all ovens are different so be prepared to lose the GPU. I must say it worked for me but if it hadn't then it would not have been a problem as the card only cost me a fiver. As far as I know the card is still pottering away to this day. Nothing to strenuous of course as it is getting on a bit.

3. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Balance the card on 4 balls of tin foil and bake at 200°C for 9 minutes, ventilate the room well and keep an eye on it.

Allow to cool sufficiently before testing ;)

Worked for me a couple of times over the years, saving hundreds. I even did it to an iPhone 3G PCB once I think!

4. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

DON'T put it on the tray chip-side down. If you do, the chip is liable to fall off.

5. Refugee

Refugee What's a Dremel?

Now he tells me! it's ok haven't done it yet but you see why I asked first.

Kronos, reason I know is that you told me a couple of months ago but all the threads were deleted so could not find details, how's the card going on grandsons PC? :thumb:

If you do remember don't use my other nickname had enough arguments with you know who on that site to last a lifetime.

6. jinq-sea

Eh? I posted that a mere ninety minutes after you asked the question - it's not some crafty reveal on my part...!

7. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Really Sam? I had assumed you'd been waiting all your life to share this information with someone, potentially just after they had baked their graphics card upside down causing the GPU to fall off.

All those years...

8. jinq-sea

Haha I am indeed the phantom 'graphics-card-baker-stitcher-upper'. Damn you for busting me, Shirtos... ;)

9. Refugee

Refugee What's a Dremel?

I like this site :naughty: :D

10. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

On here we've had baking GPU's scrubbing motherboards under the tap with a brush and washing up liquid.. Everything in my mind tells me you should not do this sort of thing to computer parts, but it works.. I suppose it's the same as when I tell people i water cool my PC, they look at me like I'm insane... definitely a strange bunch on here lol

11. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I cannot remember your other forum name except did it begin with C? If so GPU is doing fine but that was not the one I baked.

12. Refugee

Refugee What's a Dremel?

That's the one Kronos, took your advice and started coming here.

I know it wasn't that one but at the time you mentioned another one you had cooked and it just took up space in the back of my mind, glad it did.

Anyway going to try cooking it tomorrow or Thursday, wife keeps saying I'm completely mad and should she make an appointment for me at the hospital.

What annoys me is the fact that nobody wants to even try repairing it, Gigabyte have just flatly refused to even look at it saying it's to old to repair.

13. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Take the price paid, then you knock the vat off, then the retailer mark up, then the distributors mark up.

From whats left you have to pay to ship the card to someone with the proper qualifications and tools, none of which is cheap, then you need to have spare parts or order them, either option costs again, then you have to ship it back to the customer.

So unfortunately it is simple economics that make even looking at it a bad idea for the manufacturer.

Nothing to do with its age, new stuff doesn't get fixed either, straight to the bin as replacing is cheaper, only reason you ever even have to send it away under warranty is to limit abuse.

14. Refugee

Refugee What's a Dremel?

Anfield I know you are correct it just feels wrong to throw some thing away that might just have a 10 pence part gone wrong, I suppose it's an age thing from being young and things were repaired instead of thrown away.

I've just bought a tumble dryer that cost less than that graphic card.

15. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

OK mate got you now. Happy baking.

16. Refugee

Refugee What's a Dremel?

Been so busy last few days that not had time to try baking this GPU but will get back and say if Frankenstein experiment has worked.

Now lets get this correct, putting in microwave is not a good idea and will not save on time spent cooking.

17. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Correct, putting it in a microwave would be a very bad idea.

18. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

But the visual affects are much better in microwave but after you will need new GPU and microwave

Tags: