1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Is there a trick to installing rubbery fan mounts? (solved)/Metal screws won't go in

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oscy, 26 Oct 2014.

1. oscy

oscy Modder

My fans came with the rubber-like 'isolators' to put in instead of screws.

[​IMG]

I know how they're supposed to go in, I can get it through the case, but I can't get it through the fan. I use pliers and pull, but the bit won't go through the fan's hole no matter how far I stretch and which direction. In fact I tried pulling it without the fan to see how thin the bit that has to go through gets, and it doesn't seem to get thinner at all, not enough to fit in the fan's hole. It would probably be easy if I could pull straight, but of course the fan has a second side and hole in the way for installing it the other way round.

Edit: This is ridiculous. The screws don't go in either. From intense Googling it appears I'm suipposed to just put pressure on them as I screw so it creates its own 'thread', but how do you guarantee it won't go in at an angle and mess up? Mine is always going in at an angle. Also, any pressure and the plastic fan will crack, moreso than it has already due to the pressure of trying to get the rubber mounts through!

Edit2: Well I went for it and tried screwing one through as hard as possible, at a slight angle of course. It won't go all the way through and just jams. The amount of strength required just to get to that point feels like this is wrong. The amount of strength require to unscrew it back out makes me know this is wrong. That it didn't make a blind bit of difference to the lack of ease of screwing it back in, as in it won't screw back in at all without the same pressure and strength, is no surprise.

Edit3: Right, I'm using a drill. No one told me fans were the most difficult part of computer building.

Last edited: 27 Oct 2014
  2. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

yeah i found the trick is to do the following

pull

pull

pull

pull harder

break

swear repeatedly

use screws and rubber washers

3. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I never figured out the way to use them either and always resort to lilgoths method.

4. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Only ever used them on one build. I found pulling it through the fans screw hole and rotating it in a circle did the trick. Might be an idea to warm the rubber mount before attempting to pull it through the fan to make it more malleable.

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

That pretty much sums it up. LOL.

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I have found mounting them to the fans first makes it easier, looking at those mounts it should be the end with the square section that goes into the fan, the square section should sit inside the fans frame.

I'm finding it hard to describe how they mount using just words so hopefully some pictures will help.
    Mount them into the screw holes of the fans like this..
    [​IMG]
    Pliers may be of help to pull them through, if it's still a struggle try using a little oil, butter, or washing up liquid, you only need a tiny amount on the rubber.

Once they are mounted in the fans it should be very easy to pull the other end through holes in the case.

A video is worth a thousand pictures, although you may want to mute the sound as the best example i could find isn't in English.

7. Refugee

Refugee What's a Dremel?

Before trying to pull them through use a small amount of silicon polish on the mounting, then just use a small set of pliers to pull through, it takes a large amount of effort to snap these things.

8. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

Some manufacturers are poorer quality than others which will tear too quickly. Some are too soft and will tear when stretched a little too much. Some will tear regardless if you have a twazzok of a friend helping you.

Warming them up like Blogins said if they're a bit firm helps. Being able to see them and subsequently knowing which way to wiggle them too. Depending on where the fan is going to be and what type of access you pre-fitting them to one side can help.

My favourites are the Acousti ones. Especially the AF03B as they're really easy to fit being double nippled. Although they can be a bit too soft if you're mounting something really heavy *cough*top rad*cough*.
    AFM02B: http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_2367.html
    AFM03B: http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_2397.html

9. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

It's probably stating the bleeding obvious, but rubber fan mounts of the type shown in the OP can only really be used in "flange" type fans, as shown below (in other words, the type of fan shown in Corky's post #3):

[​IMG]

It's also worth paying a little more for good quality rubber mounts as the cheapy ones have a tendency to break before they can be stretched enough to fit.

10. bartiszon

bartiszon Minimodder

11. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

They are not hard to install. You just need to pull. If they break, they are cheap quality. Good quality ones won't break. Don't be nice with them, but don't use excessive force the moment you try, just gradually pull with increase force, so that you don't over do. Once you install a few of them, then it becomes easy, and can do it fast.

12. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

13. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I'm using ones like these in my Fractal 3000, worked really well, easy to put on, even the ones that were right next to the mobo.

14. loftie

loftie Multimodder

:hehe: :D

15. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

... or realise your case isn't compatible with those rubber things... which a fair few aren't...

16. oscy

oscy Modder

Tried that.

Well that's something, at least my case is compatible.

17. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Rats. bartiszon got here first.

18. oscy

oscy Modder

btw please no one continue the anal-fan analogy by posting meatspin.

19. loftie

loftie Multimodder

How about one man one jar?

20. oscy

oscy Modder

This is ridiculous. The screws don't go in either. From intense Googling it appears I'm suipposed to just put pressure on them as I screw so it creates its own 'thread', but how do you guarantee it won't go in at an angle and mess up? Mine is always going in at an angle. Also, any pressure and the plastic fan will crack, moreso than it has already due to the pressure of trying to get the rubber mounts through!

Edit: Well I went for it and tried screwing one through as hard as possible, at a slight angle of course. It won't go all the way through and just jams. The amount of strength required just to get to that point feels like this is wrong. The amount of strength require to unscrew it back out makes me know this is wrong. That it didn't make a blind bit of difference to the lack of ease of screwing it back in, as in it won't screw back in at all without the same pressure and strength, is no surprise.

Edit2: Right, I'm using a drill. No one told me fans were the most difficult part of computer building.

Last edited: 27 Oct 2014