1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple OSX Yosemite Fresh Install = Broken HDMI Out

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by keef247, 23 Oct 2014.

1. keef247

keef247 Modder

Hi guys,
    pretty annoyed to be honest, updated last night then found my TV wasn't outputting hdmi, red around and found out it could have been botched during the update. So choose to eliminate this altogether as a factor by doing a clean install...
    Waited till it was on the desktop then plugged in my display port adapter and hdmi... Nothing!
    Angry isn't the words considering I've got to setup everything again application wise etc and transfer all my data.
    MacBook is a 2009 fall model 13.3" nvidia 9400m.

Any input would be greatly appreciated as I now have no way of using it natively through the TV sat comfy with my wireless Logitech k400 keyboard and touchpad combo :(
    This is how I use it 100% of the time so IF I have to go back to Mavericks I will but let have it straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andrew8200m likes this.
  2. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Have you had a poke around System Preferences? Check display settings to make sure nothing's disabled there.

First step would be to do a PRAM/SMC reset:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14222?viewlocale=en_US
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

do the resets without any peripherals (including the external screen) attached to your Macbook. Once you're done resetting, plug in the adapter+HDMI cable and see if it works.

TBH, the most likely thing so soon after an update is a software issue. Happens with just about every iOS/OSX update. There will be a flurry of patches over the next few weeks that should fix all the issues that have cropped up with Yosemite.

3. keef247

keef247 Modder

yeah mate done all that, as I say even did a fresh install without nothing plugged in. vga works through my other displayport adapter but not the hdmi weird that it'd magically fail the minute I use yosemite I don't buy that but I've bought another to eliminate it and I've tried other HDMI cables and it's not the cable :(
    Was on the phone to apple tech support for 3 hours and nothing worked and it could be a new issue that's only just surfaced. Tbh though I'm hoping my new displayport hdmi adapter fixes it lol or I'll be gutted.
    Going to get a new TV end of next month so I reckon it'll definitely work on that haha, I'm wondering if it's messing it up trying to mirror the native 1280x800 onto the tv and it obviously won't support it, but saying that after plugging it in the quick usual flicker on the macbooks screen when another screen is plugged in shows nothing extra in the display settings... meh :wallbash:

4. stonedsurd

If VGA is working, then check to make sure you're on the right GPU. Under energy saver in Sys Prefs the option for "automatic switching" should be selected. HDMI (and equivalent) output is done by the discrete GPU, and if you're set to integrated all the time (like I often am, to extend battery life) then that could be a problem.

Beyond that, I really can't figure out what it might be.

5. keef247

keef247 Modder

it's a 13.3" they only have the one gpu your thinking of the 15.4".

6. stonedsurd

Right. The newer 13-inch MBPs have discrete graphics, so I kind of confused the two.

I think a chat session on the Apple support site is in order.

7. keef247

keef247 Modder

Haha 3 hours couldn't solve it mate and yeah I know the new ones have discrete :)
    Hopefully the new mini displayport to HDMI turns up today then I'll have tried both a new hdmi cable and displayport adapter - I personally don't think it's either as they worked magically all leading upto the clean install on mavericks

8. keef247

keef247 Modder

UPDATE: received a new displayport to hdmi out and as suspected it wasn't the culprit and neither was the cable :\ issue definitely seems to reside with the OS :(