1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Screen flicker - tested obvious stuff now lacking in ideas.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by PawelKosi, 12 Dec 2014.

1. PawelKosi

PawelKosi What's a Dremel?

Hi Guys,

I am hoping you will be able to give me few ideas, as I have problem pinpointing what is wrong.

I've built a low-spec, budget PC for my girlfriend about year and a half ago. She only uses it for watching tv, fb, music and occasional browser based game.

First the specs:

Mobo: Gigabyte H61MA-D2V Micro ATX
    CPU: G620 @ 2.6Ghz (no OC)
    GPU: PNY GTS 450
    RAM: 4gb Corsair

Problem:

About a week ago she has noticed that her second screen is flickering, I could describe this flicker akin to when your analogue VGA plug is loose or the way older LCD screens die. Bright and dark bands across the screen would show, flicker for few seconds and then screen would go back to normal. This would repeat for 10 - 15 seconds, then both screens would work normally and then the second screen would start to flicker again.

Things I tested:

- Checked all the plugs and connectors.
    - Tried swapping the monitors first and to my surprise the second monitor stopped flickering and the main one would start to flicker.
    - Swapped GTS 450 card for an old GTS 8800 that I had saved for just such occasions and to my REAL surprise the same bloody thing would happen!
    - Cleaned the system and re-installed the drivers but the flicker didn't go away on either card.
    - My next port of call was RAM, by this point I was absolutely sure this is RAM problem. I left her PC on latest Memtest for 22 hours and there was no errors!
    - I have stress tested the CPU too and that reports no errors either.

Is it motherboard? I mean I have no idea what to test next. Is there anyone who has the slightest idea what the hell this problem might be?:eyebrow:

Thanks in advance for all help!!!

2. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Have you tried (a) new display cable(s)?

3. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

as above, it does sound like a possible faulty cable, try swapping it, if that doesn't help, it may be a faulty socket

4. PawelKosi

Hi Guys,

Thanks for answers!

Yes I replaced the cables completely, I have also used different dvi to vga adapters as I have spares for both at home. The most baffling thing is that the second screen would flicker on completely different card (GTS8800) - thats why I ruled out a problem with either monitor/cable/adapter/GPU and started to look for other causes.

5. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Faulty screen? Is it still under warranty?

6. PawelKosi

You would think that righ? Ha! Well she has two monitors one Iiyama and one Packard-Bell. Packard Bell would flicker, after a swap, Iiyama would flicker and Packard-Bell would be ok.
    :jawdrop:
    I am pulling hair out of my head here, I have no idea what this might be.

7. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

are there any power adaptors or wifi devices near to the monitor/cable?

8. PawelKosi

Hey!, Sorry for not replying earlier - I was away for a while.
    It is bit of a cable jungle behind her PC, but when I lifted the PC case and stood it on the table the flicker would still happen.

I have ordered new VGA cables and new DVI-a to VGA adapters, will report back when I install those.