1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Homeworld: Remastered Collection Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 4 Mar 2015.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Well, I suppose there has to be one person in the world who doesn't like Homeworld ;) . For those who loved the originals, this is an 11/10 game(s).

I quite liked the distance in the voice. Karen S'Jet is now linked to the mothership, so there is an arguement that her humanity is being overridden. In regards to the interrogation line, the coldness with which it was delivered conveys a brutal end to a hated foe.

3. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

I really liked original Homeworld... in theory. But the campaign was just annoying as hell due to the dynamic difficulty... you'd attempt a mission and then suddenly favour massively shift to the enemy, like in one mission where 2 RANDOM ION CANNON ships would jump in and blow you up. Restart, alter your strategy and resource management to be ready... annnnd THREE random ion cannon ships jump in. Wat.

Stop moving the goalposts to inflate the difficulty.

4. loftie

loftie Multimodder

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

This!

Apart from a few glitches in HW1 remastered, mainly the invisible dust clouds when AA is turned on, this remastered collection is amazing. :rock:

6. MrSlim

MrSlim What's a Dremel?

I'm not sure about this review: a reviewer who, by their own admission, didn't really like the Homeworld the first time round, found the remastered game "wasn't for them".

Thanks bit-tech - brilliant bit of reviewing. For your next trick, maybe get a die-hard rock fan to review a classical album? Or perhaps get a vegan to review a steak house?

I'd like to read a review of this game by someone who was well disposed to the first one and the genre in general. I'm far more likely to want to hear their view on the game, than someone who was probably not going to like it in the first place.

7. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

You say the game leaves you feeling cold and that the reaction to the destruction of the population of Kharak felt like a shrug, that's not quite how I interpreted it personally.

Then (and again on replaying the remastered) I took it that both Fleet Command & The Mothership have this sudden responsibility to preserve what is left of the 600,000 Kushans and that sudden responsibility has activated a survival instinct in them. The HAVE to move on.

I always felt the emotion of the situation was captured by a combination of the music, the scene of Kharak burning below you at a planetary scale. and the voice lines that begin "No one is left, everything is gone, Kharak is burning.

Regarding the interrogation of the Taiidan Prisoner, it always felt to me like the outrage of having most of their people wiped out had hardened them in the face of annihilation. Maybe a slight revenge driven tone to it. Indeed later when they catch up with the fleet to attacked Kharak, you get up to under immediate almost hostile pressure to destroy them all.

In the opening cinematics for Homeworld 2, which charts the journey from the first game, the narration says "pain and bloodshed would follow in their wake but the exiles would return to their home world Hiigara".

Personally I like the way they told the story but I can see why it might leave some people cold :)

8. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has them.

Wouldn't it be a boring world if all game reviews were handed to superfans of the specific genre? I'd far rather read the opinions of someone who found it hard to enjoy, and then to go elsewhere and read the musings of a fan, than just read a bunch of identikit reviews giving a game >80% because they were always going to.

Also Rick is the only games reviewer on Bit, so it was this or no review at all :D

9. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Kind of reading this as if you only played Homeworld 1, and not 2?

10. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Pretty sure I already asked but the post isn't here and I can't see where else I may have posted. :/

If if was going to get in to a new game with no previous experience from either's type, which should I choose?

1) Sins Of A Solar Empire - Rebellion or

2) Homeworld - Remastered Collection?

11. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

Sims 5 - 99%

Call of Duty Future Wossits - 99%

^ is what I want to see happen!
    :D

Half Life 3 - 1%

^ if it even comes out.

Does it matter if the reviewer has a pre formed opinion on the series/previous games? As long as they tell us they did and explain their reasons, surely it's then okay for them to proceed to critique the game as long as the editor checks the review is valid?

12. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Homeworld. I've ploughed plenty of hours in to both and find HW more satisfying - Sins doesn't have a campaign for a start, whilst HW has two rather good ones. At a high level, HW is tactics and Sins deals with strategy.

13. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Thanks Cei... Although having recently bought Sins for less than £5 I may give that a go until I can pick this up for at least under £10... Time to check those code markets again.

14. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

You people realise that it was a positive review, and bit-gamer uses the whole scale 1-100, right? Some review sites scoring is so warped, it beggars belief, to the extent that Candice Swanwpoel might score 9/10 but Ann Widdecombe would be a 6!

Just because it didn't get 112% doesn't change what that game means to you.

He was up front about his opinions about the original games and went on to give what I thought was a very honest review.

15. RickLane

RickLane Staff Lover of bit-tech

I think you read this review somewhat selectively. It's true that don't love Homeworld, but neither do I hate it, and in fact I admire a lot of what it does. In addition, I was reviewing the remaster as much as the original games, and it is, for the most part, a very good update regardless of how I feel about the games themselves, which I made pretty clear.

A critic can only be honest about how they feel. It's not their job to tell you what you want to hear, or only review art that they will probably like. Although yes, you wouldn't want someone who's expertise is rock exclusively reviewing classical albums, they might provide an interesting new perspective on a particular classical album. This is why I generally don't review strategy games, as they aren't my favourite genre. But there are strategy games that I find interesting, like Homeworld, and indeed strategy games that I love, like XCOM, Total War, and Crusader Kings II.

There are plenty of overwhelmingly positive reviews of Homeworld out there by people who love the game unconditionally. I have a (very slightly) different perspective of the game, and I thought it would be useful to offer that. It's ok to disagree with that, but to say that reviewers should only stick to what they like is very silly.

16. t5kcannon

t5kcannon Minimodder

Good reply.

The late great Roger Ebert took the view that a good film review should contain two views: One, the reviewer's own view and, two, how fans of the genre may like the film. For example, horror films are not for everyone, and some will avoid them. But for a film critic to avoid all horror films, or slate the ones that he reviews would be a travesty. A good critic should separate his own view, from the wider question of whether the work is with or without artistic merit. I believe the same applies to game reviews.

17. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

Spend hundreds of hours on the originals...I actually just bought this for a bit of nostlaga trip!

Loving it already : )

18. gosh

gosh Minimodder

i'll have to get this when it's a bit cheaper - already a good deal but not sure how far i'd replay hw1 when it comes to the really tight resource management and "salvaging" enemy ships that becomes slightly frustrating. i'd disagree the game (at least hw1) wasn't personal - third mission with the famous adagio for strings moment (which may have less impact if you know what happens these days) really struck a tone with me from the mechanical voice of the mothership, in a shocked tone, saying "everything's gone" to the counting off of the survivors. didn't like hw2's plot nearly as much but it was a more fun game to play.

damn shame cataclysm wasn't included, i'd say that was my favourite game of the series as it's ships had a lot more character and the enemy was frequently terrifying first time you played.

19. Deders

Deders Modder

The game has quite a few things that need working on:

1: There is no salvage key so you can't group salvage which makes things every fiddly.

2: There are no options to prioritise engine-power over fire-power like in the original, which means that...

3: Interceptors get blown up so quickly they are now pretty much useless.

4: Ships don't stay in formation when attacking, making formations pretty much useless.

The list goes on.

20. Isitari

Isitari Minimodder

Are they planning on fixing these or just leaving them? Could the community fix it as a worst case scenario?

Haven't bought this yet but loved the original so wanting to see how the remake goes :).

Tags: Add Tags