1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Pc failing to power up properly

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Leesy1, 4 Jul 2015.

1. Leesy1

Leesy1 What's a Dremel?

Hey all. I purchased a MSI 980 ti and received it yesterday. I have just put it into my pc and hooked up the 2*8pin power connectors. (It has replaced my 680 evga card). On power up everything powers on for 2 seconds and then turns off.... The worst part is I have put my 680 back and now that does the same thing

There is a motherboard power led which is green showing it has power. Then there is a Cpu led on the board (Asus p8z77-v pro). This briefly lights up red when the power turns on for 2 seconds.

I'm very careful when putting parts into my pc. I use an anti static band etc. The only thing that happened was a drop of sweat (gross I know) fell onto the motherboard. I used a small towel to dab it off. (All power was off when I was doing this). Surely that couldn't of busted the board or cpu?

Any ideas would be great,

Thank you, Lee

2. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

What psu do you have? MAke sure the GPU is seated correctly, if in doubt remove it and reinstall it.

3. Leesy1

Leesy1 What's a Dremel?

I have had two gpus in there. They both power up for 2/3 seconds along with the corsair cpu cooler. There deffo seated correctly.

I have a corsair 850 hx or ax. One of them :).

4. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I've had this symptom twice in the past, and there have been two reasons for it:

1) something is causing a short on the motherboard (sweat could do it, seriously!)

2) the CPU is dead

I hope that it's 1), which is relatively easy to remedy. Have you tried the age-old solution of removing all ram modules except just one? And what about removing the MB battery to reset CMOS?

5. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

It could also be an incompatibility with the GPU and the motherboard.

The CPU dying is incredibly unlikely, they are genuinely extremely difficult to break. Trust me, they aren't that fragile.

Can you put your old 680 back in to see if the rig boots? Have you tried using another PCI-E lane?

6. Leesy1

Leesy1 What's a Dremel?

I'll look into the ram/cmos Lenny.

I have put the 680 back in and have the same problem. I'm leaning towards motherboard or cpu issue. I don't think the gpu is incompatible as I had a 980 work in it last Xmas but decided to return it and wait for the Ti or equivilent. I had to upgrade the bios. It all worked fine.

I really am beginning to think that bit of sweat has buggered it which is crazy.

7. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I would take it all out of the case and place on a cardboard box and see if it will boot up outside of the case, if not then likely the mobo

8. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Try a different power connection from the PSU to the GPU for starters. In my experience the AX850 is trash. Been through three RMA/Replacements with mine and it looks like a fourth is on the horizon!

9. Leesy1

Leesy1 What's a Dremel?

I took the CMOS battery out and put it back in and no luck. In fact it won't even power on at all now. I do have a Corsair AX850 Bloggins. I think i'll ring Scan tomorrow as it's one of there systems. It's out of warranty though. According to there site I can pay to get it fixed though.

10. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

The AX units have a 7 year warranty so I don't think SCAN will be out of pocket getting this replaced!

Plead to their better nature! :thumb:

My faulty AX units had the same sort of problems until they refused to turn on ever again.

11. Leesy1

Leesy1 What's a Dremel?

Ah, i'll mention it to them. I'll see what they say tomorrow :).

Thank you all for all the help .

12. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

No probs = that's what BT is for! :thumb: