1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows The Windows 10 Thread

Discussion in 'Software' started by impar, 30 Sep 2014.

1. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Well spent more time yesterday well last night on my M-ITX rig and still cannot get it to activate, got to take my mum to the doctors this morning and then when I get back I am going to get my main pc sorted whilst working on my, little pc and try to get that sorted.

2. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

Tried a couple of times with the upgrade tool to no avail, first time getting an APPLY_IMAGE error. Will try again tonight but not quite the seamless experience I was hoping for.

3. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Had to reinstall Windows 8 with my proper license in order to upgrade and get a proper Windows 10 license but had no problems. All in all, it took about 30-45 mins or so from start to finish.

4. [PUNK] crompers

I wouldn't say being forced to reinstall your original OS is having no problems tbh. Were you getting the same error?

5. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

I was previously using an Insider build of Windows 10, hence the reinstall. Didn't have any errors during the upgrade process.

6. [PUNK] crompers

There is a thread on Reddit and Tenforums, people trying different methods with varying degrees of success. I pretty techy and I'm used to fiddling with things to get them to work (especially with windows) but if this was my mum she'd just give up and never look at it again.

7. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I had an issue where I ran out of available memory. Whilst in a game, and also seemed to be sitting on around 60% usage even when sitting on my desktop.

I decided a clean install was needed, now heres the kicker I can't activate Windows 10 also my Windows 7 disk seemed to be damaged as it wont allow me to reinstall Win7, make a iso or bootable flash drive.

Seems I need to download a iso from elsewhere. le sigh.

8. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Just grabbed the ISO and then read Ill have to do an in place upgrade on the machine in question first. :(

First up is my NUC, then I'll start looking at the devices around the house. Wife actually wants the upgrade on her AIO where as normally she doesnt ever want to upgrade.

One question, do I need a unique Passport account per machine? As wife doesnt have one and I have multiple machines of my own that I would want to update.

9. DraigUK

DraigUK Minimodder

Installed from Win 7 no issues, only thing required for me was to install NVidia drivers. So far so good.
    I might actually grow to like it.
    Not so sure on the new browser but it is ok I guess.
    Will need a few days to adjust but so far I reluctantly admit to liking it.

10. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Pretty sure the license is linked to the machine, rather than a Microsoft account. I upgraded from a Windows 8 install using a local account and Windows 10 activated fine.

11. Steelez

Steelez Minimodder

Had nothing but trouble getting this to upgrade this morning.

First I had errors running the updates, did a bit of research, cleared out all of the downloaded files and ran the update again. It downloaded the files fine this time and started the install, crashed part way through (after downloading some drivers it seems) and then reset me back to windows 7. Tried it again and got more errors, finally downloading again now but it's really slow. 3 hours and it's now at 34% complete. I imagine the servers are getting hammered or something as first thing this morning it took less than an hour to fully download.

12. Zehetmayr

Zehetmayr Minimodder

I'm suffering from the same "Apply Image' issue. Also seen the same error but during the 'Install Updates' operation as well. Occurs straight after a reboot, following the 'copying files' part of the upgrade process.

There doesn't seem to be a straight answer at the moment, but here are the things I've seen listed on Reddit, Tenforums, etcetc.

1. Remove static ip and alternative dns settings, leaving network settings on auto
    2. Unplug all USB devices (I'm going to remove my keyboard as well as its on an extended cable)
    3. Remove any USB drivers that aren't vital (like Xbox 360 controller driver)
    4. Disable UEFI boot

Going to try all these first, if that fails, will take a look at the logs to see if that highlights a registry issue.

Tonight is going to be fun... let me know if you make any progress.

Cheers.

13. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Same here. My main problem during the update process was to remember to select Windows in my GRUB menu each time, before it timed out & booted into Ubuntu.

(No installed programs were lost during the upgrading of this PC) :clap:

14. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

Well an odd thing happened, I purged all the licensing cache, uninstalled the key, reinstalled all of the licencing files reinserted the key (SLMGR /IPK). Was having none of it returned a 'non core editon of windows' error. Tried phone activation, activation code was invalid. Turned the whole thing off, went down the pub. Fired it up this morning 'Windows is activated' what the ****.

15. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

I've got home premium and get absolute no joy with the 10 upgrade.. Tried for weeks and no joy.

16. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Not something I can test for but apparently there's a fix for ^^this^^
    http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-07/30/windows-10-something-happened-error

17. matthewrblack

matthewrblack What's a Dremel?

Same problem for me. Just trying the update for the third time.

Edit... Got to 31% Then got bsod clock_watchdog_timeout

Last edited: 30 Jul 2015
  18. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I read that W10 sends any previous key it finds during the upgrade, together with your BIOS serial number to MS servers as a hash to create your W10 key, which then REMAINS on MS servers.
    It can be extracted for writing on your burnt DVD with "Magic Jelly Bean's Keyfinder". :thumb:

19. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I'm guessing that as Windows 10 is very similar to 8.x that maybe this could be what's causing the problem with the APPLY_IMAGE error?

20. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Enjoying this so far, no problems other than not recognizing my sound card but not a big deal

I have noticed that if you own Minecraft on the xbox one you can get it on PC for £7.49 ish through the xbox app which i though was a fair deal.