1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows The Windows 10 Thread

Discussion in 'Software' started by impar, 30 Sep 2014.

1. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

Go to settings>update&security>windows update>advanced options

go to get insider builds lower down, still on the insider program for testing? (remember the insider program continues as a test bed for later builds)

2. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

After some teething issues earlier this morning, mainly the upgrade not downloading, then downloading but not going informing me it had finished and thus ready to install. Everything has gone swimmingly.

Though I had a nVidia driver issues after installation was complete. I have just done the upgrade, rather than a clean install. I have all my data backed up and am willing to do a clean install if needed.

In regards drivers I checked if there where updates nothing new is listed, all drivers are from about March this year.

3. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

Yes I am still on insider builds but I thought you were still meant to have a valid licence, otherwise it's just FREE!?

4. aramil

no they (when ready & after all these OS upgrades are done and sorted) will move you on to the next test builds/updates (as windows is now a rolling OS)

As they said when they released insider builds you can at general release either stay on release (by upgrading to insider from a valid OS and opt out/reinstall), or continue to stay on the insider program and continue to test the next steps of windows 10.

5. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Though it's probably already known, I didnt like the search box on the task bar.

Quick google and you can remove it.

[​IMG]

6. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Well I tried the guide on forcing the update but nothing happens. And the little get Windows 10 icon is now gone! I don't think I'll be getting a free Windows 10 now lol

7. aramil

just download it here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

pick the correct version :thumb:

8. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

It's a good thing I have a 1.75L bottle of Johnny Walker Black, as today has been one hell of a go.

I have 3 boxes that have been running insider builds and now I'm stuck reinstalling 7/8.1, updating and finding out that the USB option doesn't create something UEFI compatible and having to re-download the iso to use with rufus. To cap things off, I accidentally used an enterprise eval ISO instead of the pro version and had to start over again on my one 8.1 laptop :duh:

Nevermind that I need to get the new keys and do proper clean installs now :miffed:

9. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

The media creator gives back some useful error messages :wallbash:

[​IMG]

Last edited: 30 Jul 2015
  10. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

2 folders are created at the root of your windows drive (one hidden). Try deleting both and give it another go.

11. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

Spent last night installing on my work system and i do like the new look, but i would like to shrink the amount of room search takes up on the taskbar :(

12. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Was looking for this, cheers :)

13. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

The order (and price) of builds are :
    Internal MS builds (you can't get these unless you work at MS).
    Fast insider builds (free) - first line of testing. Could break things.
    Slow insider builds (free) - second line of testing. Hopefully no breaking things makes this far, but it could happen.
    Windows 10 (paid/free upgrade) - home users; no breaking things should ever make this far.
    Windows 10 Pro/Enterprise (paid/free upgrade) - can delay updates.

If you stay on Insider builds, your licence will be valid. Leave the insider builds, and your Windows will deactivate.

14. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

Kaspersky still not supported

15. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I remember having no end of troubles with Kaspersky when going from XP to Windows 7. Is it a Microsoft thing or a Kaspersky thing, I wonder?

16. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

I like the little message icon giving me warnings that there are programs slowing start up.

Top one is OneDrive that comes preinstalled :rock:

17. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

Thanks for clearing that up :) That is what I thought.

But it does mean Windows in some shape or another is now completely free! Ok I realise that developer builds aren't a polished version, but from what i've been using for the last 3 or 4 months they have been perfectly stable.

I've been running it on 6 machines in the house without any issues.

18. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Well, it installed on my Surface 3 without a hitch. Let's see what it looks like...

[​IMG]

This is so much better! Every aspect oozes refinement. Terry Myerson = god.

Nope, it's switched off by default in the settings, but works fine with me.

Another neat feature: you can set it to switch between desktop mode and tablet mode automatically. when I fold out/back the keyboard, it switches fluidly. Which is nice.

Really liking Edge.

19. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

So am I actually. Not sure if i'd take it over Chrome yet, but it's actually a pretty decent explorer. People saying "it's just another internet Explorer, we'll never use it" are wrong here I think. It's quick and well refined.

20. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

My only issue with Edge is the current lack of extension support. Once they add that I can't see me using a different browser.