1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Self balancing Boards now ''illegal'' to use in public

Discussion in 'General' started by lilgoth89, 12 Oct 2015.

1. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Okay, so maybe I got carried away with 'murder', but.

People die using bathtubs too, should we ban those? Because I don't want to smell that world.

As for your electricity bill? Okay sure, I've not read your post lately. But you have alluded to how bad for the world cars are, and not just in road-deaths.

Okay, tell you what, if you want to find me a pit garage for permanent rent at Goodwood, Silverstone, Brands Hatch, Donnington, and so on, then please do. Yes they have vehicle storage facilities, but they are not for permanent rent - Or at least not by us mere mortals.

I've also only just seen your edit earlier on about WRC/companies/etc - A lot of the amateur sports require cars competing in their events to be taxed and MOT'd as they're driven between stages on public roadways. Or so I understand it, anyway.

As for the Focus RS for lease - Good luck with that panning out. 11,500 (if you count the RS500 run) made, 4,000~ made it to the UK, a number of them have been crashed, and there don't seem to be many for sale at any one time. Although there's a bit of a surge in sales now the Mk3 is heading towards launching. I can see about 19 for sale presently, across RS-Direct and private ads on the RSOC.

Audi RS, not specifically rally - In fact, I don't recall the last time I saw a rally Audi. IIRC, RS for them is RennSport (Racing Sport). Their RS and S ranges, as far as I know, are not limited production items - Like the BMW M ranges - And often cross multiple models inside the brand, so attainability for leases is much higher.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Isn't Google great? Here's a Guardian piece covering mortality statistics from 2010. Number of deaths by accidental drowning in a bathtub: 29. The same year, there were 1,850 deaths from road incidents. Now, if we could reduce *one* of those numbers by, say, 30-50 per cent, which would be best to target, eh?
    I haven't alluded to it, I've said it outright. So have others: "Road transport is one of the biggest sources of pollution in the UK, contributing to poor air quality, noise disturbance, congestion and climate change. Of the 34 million vehicles on our roads, 28 million are cars."
    But they could be, right? If there was a demand - caused by, oh, I don't know, making cars owned by enthusiasts illegal for use on public roads?
    Again, correct me if I'm wrong but they don't have to be driven between stages on public roadways - they could be transported on a car transporter.
    You said lease companies don't deal in RS-badged models; I found two in the first page of a Google search for "lease rs car".

Did you see the bit where I pointed out that your 'road tax' (VED) doesn't have anything to do with the roads? Hasn't done since 1937; road creation and maintenance is paid for out of general taxation, not VED. The same percentage of my tax goes on the roads as yours, and I don't even have a car!

3. liratheal

I'm not splitting your post up because I'm lazy, so instead, numbers!

1: Accidental drownings. Definitely.

2: I said alluded because I couldn't be arsed to go back and cite post it was that you'd said something like it.

3: See where I mentioned "NIMBY-ism" or planning permission? People tend to object to hundreds of garages or new race tracks being built.

4: Who's going to pay for that transport? Government? The driver/team? I'm sure they'll happily shoulder that burden. Oh, wait, no, I think it's already pretty expensive and they'd just stop doing it all together.

5: Finding someone who says they can do something isn't the same as finding someone who can actually do that something - And I must admit, I didn't realise when we first started this exchange that you were quite so car-Luddite-y that you wouldn't spot "Focus RS Mk1" in my signature, and should have expressly said "Ford RS", but there we are - I also explained the difference between the two models (And brands use of 'RS'!) you linked.

6: I did not, but paying VED (Or road tax as it's equally commonly known! The destination of the funds is irrelevant, you're being a pedant for pedantry's sake - I can't drive on the road without paying it) and being told no private cars on the road is not exactly a fun concept. Telling me to "Get a car with a smaller engine or an electric car" doesn't really help people who own classic cars, does it. Tell people who keep their cars standard for their own pleasure "Put an electric engine/smaller engine in, or pay to not be allowed to use it", pretty sure you'll get a punch in the teeth. I think the long and the short of this is, you see cars as a point-a to point-b tool and nothing else, so you don't seem to understand (And never will) what performance car enthusiasm is all about. Still, I've got nothing better to do than wind people up on the internet today.

legoman likes this.
  4. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Banning things is a lazy way of dealing with problems I think.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Well, that's rather silly, isn't it?

Didn't I just point out that we already have garages and race tracks?
    I know for a fact that WRC teams already have trucks they use to transport their cars, so now you're just being silly again.
    I'm not as car-Luddite-y as you think: I used to write Expert Reviews' vehicle coverage. I've written about everything from Wankel engines to the Semi-Autonomous Road Trains for the Environment (SARTRE) project. Now you, on the other hand, appear to be ignoring that your signature has a "Focus RS" in it, and the first link I gave you was to lease a... wait for it... Focus RS. Which you said was impossible.
    For you it isn't, no. For me, I think it's great. There's the difference in perspective.
    Nor did the handgun ban help people with classic handguns. We still banned 'em, though.
    My, are all car owners this violent? No wonder you think 1,850 road deaths is a fair price to pay for the World Rally Championship being able to use a short bit of public road between stages(!)
    I understand completely what performance car enthusiasm is all about - as I say, I've written about it, including coverage of the Goodwood Festival of Speed. What you don't seem to understand is that I don't believe that performance car enthusiasm is worth 1,850 deaths a year. You do.

It's all moot, anyway: there is somewhere between zero and no chance that any government in the UK would ban private ownership of motor vehicles. (Although other nations are experimenting with partial bans to deal with pollution, congestion, and accidents.)

6. theshadow2001

And you without a car or license. Talk about putting the expert in Expert Reviews.:rolleyes:

7. Gareth Halfacree

I also don't own a discrete graphics card; would you like me to stop writing articles about new graphics cards?

(Actually, that's a lie: there's a GeForce 9800 in a box somewhere around here. Perhaps I should have said I don't *use* a discrete graphics card.)

Last edited: 14 Oct 2015
  8. ashchap

ashchap Minimodder

Shared spaces have actually been shown work well in certain areas (usually town centres) and significantly reduce the number of accidents. They are becoming more and more common all over the world.

9. theshadow2001

So you've never owned a discrete GPU or put one in a computer, tested one? used one?

10. liratheal

1: Not really.

2: Yes, but new structures on existing grounds still require planning permission if they are not covered by existing planning permissions granted by the local council - Which can be opposed by the residents of that particular area when they are notified that planning permission has been applied for - And can, and often does, get blocked for any number of reasons. One of our customers is a car tuners/builders, they applied for planning permission to add six new storage garages and it took years to get approval because a neighbour (Who is about half a mile down the road) whinged at the council - Who like the resident more than the business apparently.

3: I believe I mentioned amateur and non-WRC too - There are quite a few non-WRC rallys in the UK.

4: Mine's a Mk1, the one you linked is a Mk2, and I very much doubt that leasing agent actually has that car. Checked with a couple of the RSOC chaps who know the Mk2 better than me, and they're not aware of any leasing firms that actually have the facilities to follow through on a Mk2 RS lease.

5: In that case, maybe they should introduce a tax related to gun ownership and tell you you can't use them anyway. tbfh, as much as I love guns I don't see why private citizens need them here anyway. Maybe they should be banned except for company owned hunting rifles.

6: Again: Cars > Handguns in pretty much every feasible level of practicality. Unless you're advocating the shooting of school run drivers, in which case I'm all for that.

7: No, they're not, but I suspect that you try bringing this up in person to a choice few and you'll get a punch.

8: Well, I think we could stand to take peoples license away permanently if they decide to drive under the influence of drugs/alcohol ever, rather than the "Oh you're a repeat offender" nonsense there currently is. Hell, I think speeding should be far more severely punished too. I don't think, if you lose your license for your conduct on the road, you should be allowed to have it back ever again, but there we are.

9: It really is, but I've got another 3.5 hours at work and this is passing the time quite well.

11. Gareth Halfacree

Dude, the quote you're replying to *literally* says I own a GeForce 9800.

Thinking back to recent news stories I've written here, I have never owned, used, or tested: an iMac, any graphics card newer than the GeForce 9800, a quantum computer, a carbon nanotube transistor, ReRAM, memristors, 3D XPoint memory, Windows Phone 10, an iPad Pro, a Surface Pro 4...

Oh, and to bring the point somewhat to bear: I have driven, you know. Never said I hadn't. I've just never owned a car or a driving licence - well, I did have a provisional when I was 17, but that's long expired now.

Yes really.
    Again, we already have garages and racetracks. They're built. Job done.
    And none of them can afford transportation for their precious rally vehicles? Wonder what other corners they're cutting - like safety...
    May I quote you directly here? You said "no, leasing firms don't deal in RS models," and I found two leasing firms that do. Now you're saying "leasing firms don't deal in this one, very specific RS model", which is an entirely different argument. You might want to stop moving the goalposts there, chap.
    They do: you have to pay a fee to have a firearms certificate, without which you can't own a firearm, and as I've already said you can't use 'em in public regardless of having said certificate. Bit of a poor example there, chap.
    Yeah, I could get behind that - I mean, obviously a farmer's shotgun would have to be classed as 'company owned,' but your argument makes sense. Given the disparity between gun deaths and car deaths, though, let's concentrate our efforts on the area that'll have the biggest impact first, though, eh?
    I did once suggest to the wife, after having nearly been knocked down for the Nth time by somebody running a red, that red light cameras should be replaced with red light Gatling guns. Plus, y'know, some kind of sweeper system like clears up the pins in a bowling ally to get rid of the wreckage afterward.
    Again with the violence! Is it years of leaded petrol taking its toll on the synapses?
    Those all sound like wonderful ideas to me!
    You're not foruming and driving, are you!? :eeek: :p

12. theshadow2001

Well then, given your history in IT and the fact that you actually have used the technology and the fact that you apu has a graphics chip inside it, I say yes keep writing about GPUs :thumb:

13. Gareth Halfacree

And these? "Thinking back to recent news stories I've written here, I have never owned, used, or tested: an iMac, any graphics card newer than the GeForce 9800, a quantum computer, a carbon nanotube transistor, ReRAM, memristors, 3D XPoint memory, Windows Phone 10, an iPad Pro, a Surface Pro 4..."

EDIT: Or a Phil Rogers. I can hereby confirm that at no time have I ever used, owned, tested, or installed a Phil Rogers of any variety.

14. liratheal

1: Yes, but none of them have hundreds, or thousands, of garages required to house the numerous enthusiast cars found around the country - They'd need to expand rather dramatically for that to be the case. Hence the need for planning permission! Or should there only be, what, ~300 (assuming there's 40 garages at Silverstone, thus also 40 at other major race tracks) performance cars in the UK at any one time?

2: They have other regulations too (Shock horror!) regarding safety, the road-legality of the vehicle is a separate thing entirely (See: msauk.org)

3: You can quote directly all you please! However, I thought we covered that. RS isn't a term that applies to all car manufacturers (I'd have thought, if you're covering car events, you'd know that at least..), admittedly I did "change the goal posts" by revising my point to mean Ford RS, not Audi RS (which, generally, are not limited number productions unlike the Ford RS models).

4: I was not aware the firearms certificates were annual fee things. Naively, I assumed once you'd paid through the rectum the first time around that was it bar club membership fees.

5: Fantastic, farmers can have shotguns and the rest are going in the bin.

6: That actually sounds pretty nifty. Maybe we go for amber instead, though, I hate that.

7: Dunno, ask the older classic car owners.

8: Duh. When else am I meant to post **** on forums about a topic that's totally moot?

15. theshadow2001

Sure, but you have a history with computers and technology both as a hobby and professionally, the computer history museum, a personal collection of vintage computers(or at least you had one), used I'm assuming many kinds of operating systems, wrote a book on computers (maybe more than one) and are generally well versed and interested in technology. Which makes you a suitable candidate to write about technology.

If someone from a car mag came to write about computers having thought about buying one once when he was 17 and saw saw people use them a lot but hires someone to use one on his behalf whenever he needs some computing done, but really thinks they should be banned because people should get out more or whatever, then I would scoff just as equally.

I just think a writer should have a reasonable grounding on the area on which they are writing. They don't need to be expert, but a reasonable grounding. Is that an unreasonable thing to expect?

16. Gareth Halfacree

Sounds fair to me. Although I'm assuming here that there are only 301 performance cars in the UK at present. What? You assumed there were 40 garages at each race track - I thought pulling numbers out of the air was what we were doing now?
    You still haven't addressed whether they could afford a truck. Even one owned by the track at which they race.
    I am aware that RS isn't a term that applies to all car manufacturers, but both Ford and Audi make sport-inspired vehicles they term "RS" and both are (claimed to be) available from leasing companies, something you originally stated was not the case. Let's boil this down to brass tacks: did I provide a link to a leasing company advertising business and personal leasing of a Ford Focus RS, or did I not?
    It's not annual - I wrote that by mistake and edited it out: your £88 firearms certificate fee is good for a five-year licence, although you have to pay again to make any modifications (such as buying a new rifle, or changing one rifle for another of a different type.)
    I'll go with that if you'll go with professional drivers having vehicles and everything else going to the scrappers. Deal?
    The amber version could be a warning - like, I dunno, a paintball gun that writes "TOSSER" on the bonnet of the car?
    I'd rather not - from what you're saying, I risk anything from a punch to being "hung, drawn and quartered."
    TREEEEEE!
    For news postings, yes, I'd say so. If I had been reviewing cars, you'd have a point - but it doesn't take a motorsport engineer to be able to write 200 words listing the features and pricing of Mercedes' new SLK - especially when Mercedes was kind enough to send across an incredibly detailed press kit about it.

17. alf-

alf- Minimodder

Maybe I'm a bit lost, but are we arguing about banning private ownership totally? or merely only for enthusiastic reasons?

18. Gareth Halfacree

The original point, which has been totally lost and which was completely outside the thread topic anyway, was my desire to see private ownership of motor vehicles abolished, with the only motor vehicles on the road being those driven by professionals. A utopian paradise free from traffic jams, with drastically lower pollution, and far fewer deaths, which, sadly, will never come to pass.

There was also the caveat about it only happening when the nation had a much improved public transport network. That bit was important.

19. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Was lost about a dozen posts or so ago. Now what was the original thread about?

20. liratheal

1: Best get in on the ground floor and get my garden classified as a race track and lease out garage space.

2: Two or three blokes? Dunno. I don't personally know ever amateur and semi-professional rally driver/team. Rally stages are all over the place, often through woodland, not really a "track" as such. You'd need to truck it from storage to stage every event.

3: You did link to that, I guess, but there we are. If I wasn't at work I'd call and find out if it's actually available.

4: Didn't see the edit.

5: I can't see it affecting me any way, to be honest.

6: I'm still thinking that's too tame. Paintballs wipe off, after all.

7: As you do in every day life!

8: Pff. Trees. It's the kids backpacks getting caught up on your driveshaft you need to worry about.