1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Atlas - 18L ATX OC Machine

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by rogergamer, 13 Oct 2015.

1. rogergamer

rogergamer What's a Dremel?

I increased the height by 40mm, the thickness of the card wasn’t the issue so an extruded panel wouldn’t help. The problem was I forgot to take the graphics card power connectors into account and they wouldn’t fit with the psu so close to them.

Edit:
    I could try extruding just the PSU, not sure if it would look good though

Last edited: 5 Nov 2015
  2. rogergamer

[​IMG]
    With the motherboard away, I decided to plan out the airflow of the case. I can either have the CPU cooler fan and the GPU cooler fans act as intakes through a vented front panel with a few case fans as exhausts, or have a solid panel and more case fans for both intakes and exhausts. Any suggestions are welcome!

P.S. If I end up venting the front panel it's not gonna look like that

Edit:
    before my MB broke down I tested my 980 ti Amp! Omega and it boosted past 1500mhz easily just by raising the power limit alone in afterburner without any voltage changes or bios mods. ASIC 69% too!

Last edited: 7 Nov 2015
  3. rogergamer

[​IMG]

Just took the monster graphics card apart to prep for painting, thinking of going either a full stealth matte black or a matte black and white look. The middle part is plastic and the shroad is steel (I think) so I would need to buy two different types of paint.

Any color suggestions? (but I guess there isn't much of a choice between black and white...)

Edit: probably a bad picture, the first panel is grey and the second panel is a glossy "carbon fiber"

Edit: [​IMG]
    Professional picture for more accurate colors

Last edited: 8 Nov 2015
  4. rogergamer

[​IMG]
    I used plastidip to make the innder plastic shell matte black and it already looks better than the original glossy carbon fiber pattern, when I settle on definite colors I will use something more permanent than plastidip

[​IMG]
    here is a mockup done with the help of /u/blghns from reddit! big thanks to his PS skills because I suck at it. Is the white and black too much? invert? all black? all white? silver?

Last edited: 9 Nov 2015
  5. rogergamer

[​IMG]
    Drew the panel that would be on top, housing 2x92mm exhaust fans and the PSU exhaust

While doing this I realized I couldn't fit the fans I wanted to buy which were 38mm thick, I would either need to extrude the top of the case (and might as well get 120mm fans) or get slimmer 25mm thick fans... you win some you lose some :/

Edit: going to try and compress future updates and make each update count more, I'm posting everyday mostly because I can't contain my excitement haha :/

Edit: Sanding down the metal shroud, might even keep the bare metal look, if not it's primed for painting anyway!

Last edited: 10 Nov 2015
  6. rogergamer

I continued to work on panel designs while my MB is in RMA, and I sketched out quite a few designs for the fan grills, though I haven't quite found the one, here are a few of them: (though I might just go back to basics with stripes haha)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also mocked up the whole case sans some of the vents for the above reason

[​IMG]

Last edited: 13 Nov 2015
  7. rogergamer

[​IMG]

stripped the paint off and did some light sanding. The metal (steel? aluminum?) itself shows some discoloration so I will probably paint it. As a side note, don't use paint stripper aerosols when it's windy, I burned my own hand chemically that way and spent the rest of the day wondering if I burned myself anywhere else :/

8. rogergamer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It fits! Kind of.... replaced the CPU fan with a thicker 140XP from phanteks, similar temps but noticably quieter operation, yes it is secured by cable ties for now... The PCIE cable from li-heat also arrived but it was a tad too long and is currently causing the GPU to bulge a few mm out of the case bounds, already ordered a shorter one to fix that

[​IMG]
    penta-fans also arrived, not sure if I'm going to use them all though

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    industrial fans because more cool, more power. These are delta AFC0912 fans, 92mm x 25mm. Will be like jet engines when cranked up, but I probably won't set the fan curves that high anyway (they are PWM) In case you're wondering, these fans crank out a bit over 102CFM and 13mm H2O @ 100% PWM and 53dB-A, imagine 5 of them maxing out.... At almost 5000RPM yes they will mangle your fingers :/

White spray paint arrived today, so I will be painting the GPU shroud soon! This is really coming out to be a black and white build inside of a stealth black build, but I'm enjoying it!

Last edited: 24 Nov 2015
  9. rogergamer

[​IMG]
    after much toil, I'm finally done painting this thing. had to strip the paint down at one point because there was some spots were outrageously uneven and I got my fingerprints on the paint because I was too impatient.

The middle black part was sanded down instead of painted, went from 60 to 1000 grit then cleaned it up with a bit of magic eraser, there are still slight scratches but I didn't want to sand it down more as it was getting a bit reflective and I'm really going for a matte finish.

[​IMG]
    the fans and the IO are all fitted in with temporary brackets that will be replaced by panels. Unfortunately when broke my anti vandal switch when I was soldering... so going to have to get a new one. I also ordered the wrong length PCIE cable so as of now I'm still using the same 250mm cable that's too long (made sure I ordered the 200mm one this time).

As of now I'm pretty happy with the look, but unfortunately I don't have much time to work on the panels :/ but they will come!

10. rogergamer

This build might stay quiet for a while. I will probably be taking a course in 3D design next year which should help me better produce the designs for this rig. By then I might slap a pascal GPU in there too! But as of now everything works so I'm probably just going to leave them like so for now... update ETA 6 months!

Last edited: 3 Sep 2016