1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mac G5, had a go and took pics.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fuzzyrabbit, 4 Sep 2003.

1. fuzzyrabbit

fuzzyrabbit What's a Dremel?

Well First time myself have ever been anywhere close to a G5 after drooling around apple.com all morning for the pass few months
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyhow, it looks alot better than in the pictures on the net. the design is awesome IMO, the fan was shuts off sometimes, which i think was some thermal control over it. Couldn't say much. That computer had nothing really on it. So just the usual click around and asked how much, then the guy said not selling yet.

The fans are so nicely packed, the ventilation is excellect. I am thinking of that idea of having fan ducts and from the front of the compuoter than out at the back of the computer.

and right now im choosing a face to go with my message. so... i guess :lol: will do

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

and another plus, its 400,000 times faster than any other workstation and had 1000x the power of an 8 way itanium2 system. (ok maybe im exaggerating, but so do they so im allowed to :D )

it is nice looking but i have lost a lot of respect for apple recently with the G5 malarky, claiming the "first desktop 64bit processor" when opteron workstations had been out for a month or 2, and all this crap about how its SOOOOOO much faster than dual xeons, or dual opterons or a fast P4.
    i used to adore apples and i came *this close* to buying a 12" powerbook G4 a few months ago but i dont really fancy them any more.

still looks nice though, which is good
    is that a window on the side or is the panel just off, you should have chucked something in there and ran :lol:

3. fuzzyrabbit

fuzzyrabbit What's a Dremel?

it was some plastic, and i actually went and touched it hence the please do not touch sign.

Its not that powerful by the way. They only really keep up with athlon 2200 so dont worry, far behind the world. I guess maybe the software is optimised for macs like software that is heavily optimised for P4 which makes it shine on benchmarks. Stupid iSSE2, why AMD invent something compatible like iSSE2 on the athlons :/

Anyway, i was wondering if anyone seen them or i just happen to see something new. I was toddling on the streets of hong kong.. then poped in and checked it out.

I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed that computer, wont mind if you bundled a pair of 23 inch tft monitor with it too :p

by the way, is it me or you have some insane computer with lots of uber fast storage and memory bandwidth. How much mem bandwidth do you get on sandra?

4. Mister_Tad

i was being sarcastic about how fast they are, apple would have you think that they are supercomputers with their recent ad campaign (in the us anyway, dunno about anywhere else)

im a bit of a storage fanatic, hence the fanatical storage :D
    i went scsi 2 years ago with a 10k drive and loved it, so i have never turned back. and then the obligitory 280GB of maxtor DM+9s and then another 120GB of slower storage. and then a couple of raptors in a raid0 is next on my list, unless i get the urge for 2 atlas 10kIVs or fujitsu MAPs. mmmmmmmmm storage

as for memory bandwidth, i get lots, dont know an exact number in sandra but with an 1100MHz bus its bound to be lots :thumb:

it's not insane, just thorough :rolleyes:

5. Supercool

Supercool Gone.

Just me who thinks that `thing` looks f-ugly?, the LCD's look pretty poo too.

Imagine what a b*stard it will be to clean with all those holes in it.

6. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

The only time I can believe that's the fastest personal computer in the world is if they ship it to you on Concorde.

7. Mister_Tad

awesome screens though
    maybe not the best screen, but they look puuuurdy

8. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

Macs might not be the fastest machines around, they might cost too much and have crap mice with them, but you really can't fault their design sense and screen quality :baby:

9. Kermet

Kermet [custom title]

They are being advertised in the UK as 'the worlds most powerful desktop computer' or something along those lines...

10. Mister_Tad

im willing to wager that my rig would be faster than a G5
    let alone the beasty dual xeons and opterons out there

pah, ill never eat an apple again

fastest desktop computer my rectum

what do they consider 'most powerful' i wonder
    MacMark Pro 2003 = 15k MacMarks :rock:
    is that based on flops or tsops or what?

11. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

it's seriously just you

:eeek: :rock:

btw i just yoinked ur sig format tad, dont be mad

Last edited: 5 Sep 2003
  12. Mister_Tad

hmm, that was MY sig
    *grumble grumble*

i dont mind, at least you dont have the same rig, then i may be annoyed :D

i thought it was quite a nice touch to draw a little extra attention to the "ooooh" bits in my system :thumb:

13. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

indeed. you got me beat on storage :(

< / off topic >

14. Alekin

Alekin Minimodder

I have never used one but im sure id swap that beauty for the little piece of poop i have now... *sorry little duron but it would whip ur ass, o and it looks better than the box ur in too.

Alex

15. kanuslupus

kanuslupus Minimodder

Now that I'm free of MS, I'm actually very interested in trying out something like this. I'll wait a while to see how they boost the performance. Honestly, for a new product, being on par with an Athlon 2200 isn't bad. If they can get some more chips out with more MHz, it could be a nice box.

As for design, I'm not sure Apple is all that good at it. Sure, they do things others don't, but that doesn't make it good. For example, the original iMac and the current iMac. IMO, both are ugly. I liked the G4 case (predecessor to the G5 if there was more than 1). The current case for the G5 looks awful though. I haven't seen it in person, but these pictures make it look worse than the Apple pictures. I did like the Cube case. Wouldn't mind having a replica of sorts.

I'll probably wait for an Xserve G5 before I make any decisions. I'm also curious to see how the G5 laptops turn out.

16. NiHiLiST

I'm not keen on the iMac designs, but you have to admit that they do have a flair, even if it doesn't always come through. The G4, as you said, is gorgeous. Personally I think the G5's pretty sexy as well; though I think a lot of us won't like it because we're used to such nice looking alu cases already?

The nice silver laptops are fantastic looking too if you ask me.

17. Mister_Tad

i dont understand how the 17" powerbook is 7lbs and actually almost portable whereas the best x86 effort for 17" laptops is 12lbs and most definitely bigger than a bread box

rathey sexeh laptops though, with the glowy apple and whatnot

18. Liquid K9

Liquid K9 Human programmer.. heh

Apple, IMO, have the most beautiful flat screen monitors in existence:

I was at a local pc store contemplating on buying a replacement pc instead of a laptop - I saw a beautiful Apple monitor beside a sign saying €1499 or somesuch for a computer (had specs n' all). Later I found out that the monitor alone was €2500! :eeek: I nearly wet myself when the girl told me... thats more money than I put in my entire computer - and they want me to pay that for a monitor? (It was a widescreen jobbie, so I guess I was being wishful to get it w/ a mac under €2k).

The probleme with Apple is that their just like sony:

Design before function
    Function before value
    value before compatability
    compatability before common sense
    common sense when no-ones looking.

19. NiHiLiST

Couldn't have put it better myself :) It's so very true that Apple and Sony have such similar ways of approaching products it's scary.

20. Supercool

Supercool Gone.

:eeek: don't say that..... I'll have to sell all my sony stuff now :waah: