1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

2. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Built into the brake levers. Push the whole lever in to shift one way, press the smaller lever behind the brake lever in to shift the other way.

3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

.... Oh, NOW I see it.

4. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

New bike, custom fitting done, wheels fitted, gears adjusted.

Old bike, new pads, break cables and cassette.

First race of the year next weekend

[​IMG]

5. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

If mods have an issue with this then please remove and let me know, I've linked to MP sales which are MTB related in the past so hope this isn't treading on any toes:

FS: Thule G2 921 Towball bike rack - http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=4068635

I'm changing car in the not too distant future so I'm moving to roof rack system as the towball is extra and I'm leasing :p (and tight lol)

6. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

I sold my Norco Bigfoot 2008 since I need the money to put toward a purchase for a vehicle.

Gonna miss it but I barely use it to be honest.

7. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

So I have been saving, looking and watching the current Whyte T-129 Line up like a hawk and it seems there could be a new one coming soon? is it a good idea to wait for the new model to see if the old ones shift down a bit in price? What do you guys think?

8. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

I ALWAYS buy N-1, let the nerds buy the latest gen and you reap the benefit! (Sound familiar?!)

9. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I signed in to a 134 km road cycling event. I have a full suspension bike with 26" wheels. Can you think of any suitable tyres with low rolling resistance? Most likely I will NOT be cycling on tarmac any time soon, so preferably dirt cheap.

10. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Panaracer XC pros are not bad, cheap an reliable. Which event is it?

11. Jipa

Umm. What? No need for MTB tyres this time. I'm happy with my current ones on dirt, but this is an asphalt event. http://www.pirkankierros.fi/pages/index.php/en_pp

[​IMG]

I think I'm looking for something like this. (Schwalbe big apple) Just anything that rolls and fits the wheels.

12. legoman

Oops sorry! totally mis read that my bad.

Options off the top of my head,
    Schwalbe Big apple - pretty comfy in the 2.1 roll well too
    Schwalbe Kojak - full slick very very quick
    Schwalbe big one - biggest slick they offer apparently roll OK but the diameter incurs drag
    Conti Grand Prix - again full slick if its like the road proof tough an hard wearing
    Maxxis Detonator - good semi slick pretty common commuter tyre

be loads of others

13. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Hi guys, do you mind if I ask for some basic buying advice?

I'm looking to get a fairly basic bike for commuting purposes - about 6 miles each way, almost entirely on fairly well-paved cycle paths. I've not owned a bike for years, so I've no clue whatsoever what to look for. Budget is £400 to £500 but as ever I'd prefer not to spend for the sake of it, so if there's no advantage to my use case in spending this much then something lower budget would be fine :D

Any recommendations as to what might be suitable for this sort of usage and budget? As I say, I'm completely clueless so go easy on me! :D

Thanks in advance
    Bawjaws

14. Jipa

Oh wow. Turns out I'm going to need more than new tyres - the rear hub has snapped. No wonder there were some strange noises and wobbliness yesterday.

15. legoman

Bawjaws, bike wise id say a hybrid will cover most bases, fast enough on paths but with a bit more tyre so you can scoot off onto slight offroad excursions, good place to start looking would be Decathlon or Go outdoors.

Jipa, may explain the noise you able to change the innards or is it going to be a while new hub?

Fun weekend for me rode with one of the local clubs to Cambridge an back so 90miles/146km in total good fun freezing cold start though, set me up nicely though for Tour of Cambridge this weekend which is only 80miles/129.07KM defiantly had plenty left in the tank afterwards.

16. Jipa

Whole new hub. Although I'm looking for new wheels as those ones are stock and are already showing their age. Turns out the second hand 26" 135x10 markets are quiet.

Damn.

17. legoman

Should be able to get hold of just a hub, any idea what hubs on there now?

18. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Thanks, man. I thought a hybrid would be the answer. Will check out the local Decathlon (and Halfords, which is in the same retail park). Any brands to recommend or avoid? I realise that my budget isn't going to get me a super-fancy bike but any pointers would be much appreciated.

19. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

I had a £300 Kona hybrid on the cycle to work scheme a year ago. Added my own bars, pedals, grips and tyres.
    Previously had the £1000 Boardman Hybrid Pro.
    No word of a lie, can tell absolutely no difference in quality.
    Did about 2500 miles on the Boardman and have done over 1500 on the Kona to date.
    Brilliant value bike.
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/kona-dew-hybrid-bike-2015

Also, I only changed the bits I said out of preference of riding position, not out of any issue with the parts the bike came with.
    Also, if you do go Halfrauds, have a ride around in the car park after they have 'set it up' to test the gears, brakes etc as they are generally complete muppets

20. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Nice one, thanks for that. I'd heard that Halfords weren't the best, and pretty much everyone I know who has bought a bike from there has taken it to a "proper" bike shop for a setup.