1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

G-gnome's Orac³ - Part 2

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by G-gnome, 1 Sep 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

I have no problem with that :)

Anyone is welcome to use any of my ideas for their own cases - that's the purpose of these forums to share the knowledge and the passion for modding. All I ask is, if anyone uses an idea of mine, that they give due credit should they publish or write their case up. It would be cool too if these people came back and posted their projects here so we could all benefit from anything they might come up with that builds on what I have done. Lets keep the ideas and inspiration flowing! :idea:

Mod on!:dremel:

Last edited: 6 Sep 2003
  2. sambo

sambo What's a Dremel?

whens the next update due m8 :D

3. m3t4tr0n

m3t4tr0n What's a Dremel?

patience is the most important thing when modding HQ. :yawn:

4. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

I'm sitting in a pool of drool atm AMAZING!:jawdrop:

5. Digitalblueshift

Digitalblueshift What's a Dremel?

I would check some of the pages of your original thread turned guide. some of the page titles are G-Nomes ORCA...

One tip I had for drilling plexi, is after the piolot hole put the drill in reverse instead, For my 1/16th inch plexi I have as a head for my box drum it worked a treat and didnt crack at all, as long as you made a fairly small step up.

6. m0nk3y

m0nk3y What's a Dremel?

g-gnome can i have sex with your case?

7. myke

myke What's a Dremel?

m0nk3y ... Please wait till he's finished with it! :D

8. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

and this, ladies and gentlemen, is why FUFME was invented
    :hehe: :blah: :worried:

9. bsodmike

bsodmike Banned

G-gnome, I'm looking for neon green plexi. I have an idea I can use in my case to spruce it up a tad...where did you get yours from???

Thanks, Mike

10. [H]ungry[H]ippo

[H]ungry[H]ippo What's a Dremel?

Everyone I know is talking about this case. Had to sign up to say its the best case mod I've EVER seen. Brilliant!

Any plans to take it on a road-trip around Oz when it's finished? I would pay to see it :clap:

11. JazzXP

JazzXP Eh! Steve

Shame there isn't another Big Day In coming up... I'd love to see this case in the flesh (plexi?) too.

12. Mhiran

Mhiran What's a Dremel?

Just to let you know, if you are using liquid latex, (your liquid electrical tape) it is not a great insulator a splotch on paper and an ohmmeter demonstrates only 150 kilohms of resistance!

Great project BTW!
    :jawdrop:

13. KniFenForK

KniFenForK Minimodder

:jawdrop: lost for words! :jawdrop: :thumb: :dremel:

14. Darkside

Darkside What's a Dremel?

The latex is for when m0nk3y wants his conjugals with it:lol: :lol: :lol:

Darkside

15. Dragen

Dragen What's a Dremel?

how much do you want for the case?

16. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Heh, I thought it wasn't very good stuff (though not for that reason - because it is hard to apply and sharp bits can poke thru it) - is why i covered the whole lot in the heat shrink mentioned. This was also the first, and last, time I have used it in the project (for the reasons mentioned).

I'll have to check the container but I'm not sure the stuff I have is liquid latex (this stuff seems more a plastic than a rubber)? Seems stupid to sell a product that is a liquid replacement for electrical tape that doesn't insulate? Thank's for the warning though - I'll definitely be avoiding use of it as an insulator now before I get a chance to test it.

EDIT - Went and checked - the stuff I have is definitely more for sealing and protecting than solid insulating - glad I used that heat shrink!

:)

Last edited: 9 Sep 2003
  17. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Hey Darkside, it is Acrylic after all - easily cleaned, so long as m0nk3y brings his own Novus polish ;)
    It's not finished yet and I don't plan on selling it when it is.

That being said, I have many more case mods planned after this one... ;)

18. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Thanks for pointing this out. I am aware of this (it was posted earlier and I replied) and it's nothing to do with me - Unfortunately when the thread got made a static page I lost all control of it (can't post, see comments, edit the bodgy smilies, put it into a decent font, etc) and the aforementioned error seems to have occured :blah: . I have re-written this thread into an article that should be up on BiT-Tech main site soon *cracks the whip over a stressed, sweating Macroman*. :D

That plexi tip is a good one, cheers! :clap: You may find it won't work as well with the thicker 1/8 or 1/4 inch - practically any drill will go through 1/16 no probs if you are careful, go slowly and use pilot holes (as, depending on the size of the bit, the point often comes through before the cutting edge hits the surface of the material). I did read of a technique where you drill a thick piece with a pilot hole first then drill halfway through, turn it over and drill back through from the other side? I am presuming this is what you mean and it seems to be a valid technique providing your drill bits don't 'grab' the material (my normal drills do) as the drill cutting edge hits the surface and tears/cracks it - chips and cracks don't always come from when the drill exits the back of your perspex.

I have the special plexi-point drills now and don't have to use pilot holes unless I want to make sure a row of holes lines up absolutely perfectly, when I'll use a 1-2mm bit and spend ages with the drill press getting the holes right on my marks. With the plexi drills I can even hand-hold the piece in one hand and use my cordless drill in the other and drill like a knife thru butter - perfectly clean holes.

As with anything - test it out a few times on a scrap piece before you go attacking the good stuff!

Last edited: 8 Sep 2003
  19. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Yeah, what he said ...

20. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Welcome to the forums [H]ungry[H]ippo! :)

No road trips but may go to a few of the bigger Sydney LANs at some stage. Like the username - reminds me of a game I had as a kid.

Cheers

:naughty:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.