1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mac G5, had a go and took pics.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fuzzyrabbit, 4 Sep 2003.

1. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

you forgot the poor availability of software, the difficulty of obtaining replacement parts from anyone but apple, and the shear dominance of the mac market by mac. When you look at it as a platform, they have more of a monopoly than microsoft!
    Why???? it works, is the most supported platform and has the most software written for it.
    to be honest I am looking forward to a time when their are no companies around like mac.
    Sorry to sound a bit nasty towards fuzzy, but I really think people are wrong to hate microsoft's ethics and then to support a company like apple mac.

2. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

I totally agree with you on this subject, and it's unfortunate that we're in the minority. Way too many people dislike Microsoft simply because everyone else does or because the media has put them across as a huge evil money-grabbing corporation. They're just trying to make a profit like anyone else and when you compare them to their main competition (Apple) then there's really little difference in the way they go about it.

It also infuriates me when people say they hate Microsoft all the time yet use Windows; then when you ask why they haven't moved to Linux/BSD etc they just reply with "nah, can't be arsed".

3. fuzzyrabbit

fuzzyrabbit What's a Dremel?

i have my reason to hate microsoft. It is fair to say that Be Inc's colapase is ms's fault of monolopy. However it is acknownledge that Be's case suit has won them 23 million. BeOS is my favouite OS so im still out watching the progress of OpenBeOS and some other alternatives like BeOS Max.

Oh yes, i think windows doesn't work, explain all this blue screen of death and all this driver problems which they claim is 25% of the reason why window is so unstable. Windows is too expensive for what it is, i demand to be paid for using tacky software, i disagree why we should not evolve becuase if there wasn't competition windows will always be crappy, so it should be right to have competition and microsoft's greed is not allowing competition with its dominating monolopy.

is that a fair thought?
    just wondering. :blah:

4. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

<RANT>

not really a fair thought in my opinion

love them or hate them or just dont know what to think, the world is a better place with MS that it is without

windows in my experience is 100% stable if you dont put loads of crap on it from dodgy sources, my system never crashes, unless it is from my own fault (ie too much overclock). most crashes in windows are as a result of poorly programmed software installed on it, not as a result of windows being poorly programmed.

if you dont like windows, dont use it, see how you get along without it. sure linux is fine, but try using all your programs on it.

people that dont like nike trainers (for example) dont go around bitching all the time about how nike is crap and they hate them and they with they would die, the just buy reebok trainers

i think windows is programmed very VERY well, and it is only reasonable to expect a few compatibility problems on an OS that is designed to be used on in INFINITE number of different configurations in every country around the world.

sure, OSX may be more stable, but that is because it is specifically designed for apple computers, there is no compatibility issues as every computer it runs is identical in architecture.

so instead of complaining about MS, just uninstall every single MS product you own and bin every piece of MS hardware you own and replace them with equivilents from other companies. and dont bother complaining because no one listens

in the end it is just a case of fanboy-ism, you will always have your people that run "the underdog's" hardware and software because they think it is cool and not because it makes sense, and there will always be people that spit on anyone running windows or using intel or nvidia, or using a x86 system.

it isnt big and it isnt clever, so sod off :p

</rant>

(this post was not aimed at anyone in particular, just at the general attitudes of some people i have come accross, not anyone on these boards though thank god)

Last edited: 11 Sep 2003
  5. Nedsbeds

here here :clap:

6. Mister_Tad

that felt good to get out of my system
    i need a cigarette :D

7. kanuslupus

kanuslupus Minimodder

Most crashes I hear about have more to do with Windows than other software. MS made huge improvements with NT and even more with 2000 (I've not used anything after 2000). MS's own patches and service packs even cause BSODs. Certainly 3rd party software can make Windows look worse than it is.

I've not been using MS since April of last year. I'm not missing anything. A disclaimer: I'm not a gamer, I don't use PhotoShop, and have no need for any Windows specific apps. Linux isn't for everyone.

I don't "go around", but whenever I get a chance, I do point out how horrible Nike is :D

Excellent advice.

I actually don't care about MS software that much. My main gripe with them is their business practices.

8. Mister_Tad

i dont necessarily agree with their business pratices either, but i can't fault their products (much)

sure there are the odd problems here and there which are actually problems with windows and not with 3rd party programs, but as i said, windows is designed to work on infinite numbers of different computer configurations, and it does for the most part.

i have used linux on a secondary system for a while and there were huge compatibility problems but it was stable, the reason for it being so stable was that nothing worked, so there was nothing that could cause the system to crash. linux gets away with its problems because due to its nature, people expect problems. IMO its far too much hassle to be a feasible operating system, although i do everything on my computer.

the beauty of windows is that you *can* do everything on it, whereas linux etc are really not very suitable for a lot of things.

i do actually use unix (through exceed) for a lot of my uni work but that is beside the point.

MS is a massive company with more money than a lot of countries for a good reason, because they have done the best at what they do. i would wonder how many *normal* people would have computers if their options were only of the unix variants.

note, I am neither steve ballmer nor bill gates :hehe:

although i wish there would be more competition in the operating system market. as i think that would really get them to sort out problems more quickly and efficiently. unfortunaltely there arent really any other operating systems which rival it for all-round usability. and dont say that it is all because the OEMs only use windows. if there were other operating sytems which truly did rival windows' usability and user-friendliness (keeping in mind that the average computer user thinks that a computer with 512mb memory can store more programs on it than 128mb of memory)

sure with us lot here things like linux et al are an option but for the vast majority of computer users windows is all there is

i think my point is that MS need someone to kick them up the backside because they dont have any competitors to worry about, and they need some

i had a point somewhere, but im not quite sure if i made it or not in the above post

Last edited: 12 Sep 2003
  9. MikeTitan

MikeTitan Ling Ling: 273 Battle Points

Few things. Might buy a Mac Laptop and a iPOD. Thats it. Im in love with the monitors and think they are uber sexy!!! I think that they are overpriced and underpreforming. But they are still in business, more power to them!! :thumb: :hehe: :hehe:

lindows and winux :thumb:

10. Fronzel

Fronzel What's a Dremel?

I'm not so fond of the Apple cases. I don't think they are really all that.

As far as Microsoft killing Be, their business practice of creating a company to sell to Apple wasn't exactly good long term planing. They would have killed themselves with or without Microsoft.

11. kanuslupus

kanuslupus Minimodder

Actually, it might not have been bad (from a shareholders point of view). The problem was the arrogance with which their CEO dealt with Apple.

By the way, now might be a good time to point out www.openbeos.org (name change in progress, waiting on non-profit status). Don't think they have a full system to download yet though. If I understand, you need BeOS installed so you can install openbeos parts. They aren't even in beta stages yet, though have made alot of progress.

12. fuzzyrabbit

yeh ive been testing open beos lately.

there are other comercial disturbution of BeOS out there but they arent that good, i think the best has to be BeOS Max Edition V3, out of the package nforce2 sound and network support. I can play quake 2 even but im still waiting for the geforce4 support but at the moment it aint that great on support.

i saw this awesome Beos radio broadcast software, was actually interested in using it to run a pirate radio station at skool..

beos will live :D

-fuzzy

13. NiHiLiST

I'm very glad I've found out about these BeOS links in here. I tried it way back when it was one of the early releases and was pretty impressed.

I might have to give it a try again sometime when OpenBeOS gets up to beta stage :)

14. ChillingSP

ChillingSP What's a Dremel?

:clap: :clap: :clap: That's a very very good point.

15. NiHiLiST

Plus in my experience OSX doesn't actually run that stably :sigh:

16. fuzzyrabbit

well actually, every computer doesn't run identical in architecture, there are different G3, G4 or G5, in dual CPU or different setup and there are a handful of different setups. Well the point is mac doesn't have control over the hardware it gets used in, but you can use a radeon 9800 pro in a G5 and that works, but the point is that the ones that are sold with macs, DO! work with Mac, unlike PCs where you need this and that and this and that to make it run the games.

Mac have a clear advantage of stablitiy wether it is caused by quality hardware and drivers or most hardware don't work with a mac, i don't know but as far as i know, mac is stable, it works, it is a luxury to use a mac system so accept it.

By the way if you were to have compatibility issues, then if you suck some unsupport graphcis card in a mac, im sure you'll get problems, so i prefer if the manufacture said the following will work nativily and wont bug you day up with blue screens, then im happy.

Do microsoft or you motherboard manufacture do that? i dont suppose you can play ut2003 right out of the box after you have installed windows with your 5900 ultras? or 9800 pro? huh? huh?

17. Nedsbeds

<childish insult>
    well at least you can play ut2k3 on the pc
    </childish insult>
    :hehe:

18. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

You can on the PC too

Neeeener neener! :hehe:

Anyway, I have both a mac and a pc. They both have their advantages and their disadvantages.

The PC is a highly tweakable [ and thereby easily made unstable or shady by an inexperienced user ] and upgradable, as well as generally more robust.

The G4/450 I have is perfect for web browsing, photoshop, and checking my email. As soon as the blaster worm and such things go around I just open Outlook on the mac and leave my PC off the net for awhile.

Don't get me wrong though, macs are upgradable. I'm currently modifying some furniture to hold both my mac and my pc with KVM hardware along with a switched USB hub so I can lug monitor, PC, mac, and accompanying peripherals for both along anywhere.

To be blunt, the PC is more of a tweaker's dream, and if you can tweak it to the basic level that I have [ aka stabe 24/7 ] then more power to you.

BUT

If you don't want to take the time tweaking and just want it to "WORK DAMNIT!" I say for for the apple side of the field.

19. Supercool

Supercool Gone.

Yes.

Must be something wrong with how you build your systems then, I don't need to tweak any of our computers to be stable 24/7, I just build them and they work :p :thumb:

20. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

no, buy a dell or some other decent pre-built PC :p