1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage fastest possible Hdd

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dave_c, 23 Oct 2016.

1. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

Im looking for a new hard drive for my PC Ive been looking at these two:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/500...g-mgx-3d-v-nand-read-540mb-s-write-500mb-s-97

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/500...nd-512mb-cache-read-540mb-s-write-520mb-s-98k

But was wondering if there was anything better out there? I going to be used as my software and windows drive. replacing my Samsung 840 256Gb SSD (which will then be used purely for my games and as a scratch disk.)

My budget is £200 but i could probably stretch this out a little more if need be.

Any suggestions?

Appreciated.

2. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

4. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

Im not familiar with NVMe. Appreciate you pointing it out. Curious as to why everyone isnt using these. (I've been out of the loop for a while)

5. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

There are a few reasons, but cost is probably the main one. A similarly sized SATA SSD is just over £100, that is the cheapest NVMe drive and it's a shade under £200. For that money you'd get a 1TB SATA SSD and have change to spare.

Compatability is probably the second biggest factor. You need a PCIE 3 x4 M2 slot to take full advantage of the speeds on offer. If you've only got a PCIE 2 M2 slot you may as well stick with a SATA drive.

6. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

Good to know, Im fairly sure I have 4 PCIE 3.0 slots so i think im good. Im only using one of them for my GTX 970 so should have 3 going begging :)

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

He means your M.2 slot needs to be rated PCIE 3 X4 - you don't need to use your actual PCIE slots for it.

For the record, your MSI X99S Gaming 7 motherboard does have a Gen 3 x4 M.2 slot. :thumb:

8. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

Ah i see. Sorry for the density. good to know. as i just ordered it.

I seem to recall poking the M.2 slot when i first got the MB and thinking "what the **** is this?" :D