1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel announces Optane modules for desktops

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 28 Mar 2017.

1. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Sounds a bit like narcissistic personality disorder to me...

2. silk186

silk186 Derp

I'm pretty confused by where intel is trying to market Intel Optane Memory.
    This is the marketing on the intel site. Another site said that it targets "e-sports".
    Both of these imply that it would benifit a system with an M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD.
    Either that or I'm reading it wrong and they think gamers have their OS on SSD and games on HDD.

[​IMG]

This is the graph
    [​IMG]

3. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Damn. Ninja'd by Tad. I just came to call him Derek McNoData :hehe:

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Fun fact: extreme asceticism is considered one of the four Millon subtypes of self-defeating personality disorder.

Just sayin', like.

5. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Is it just me, or would this be perfect for a NAS box to speed up things?

6. jinq-sea

Comparing hard drives with houses? What a daft analogy. An office that generates many TB of data can exist in a one-man premises if necessary. Did you once lose a huge amount of data once and now hate data as a result? I'm very confused by your hatred for it!

7. jinq-sea

So why do you care so much if others have lots of data? Maybe people have collections of photographs and relatives that are no longer in this mortal realm. If they run out of space owing to other data (perhaps photos of a grandchild) being generated, it appears that you are advocating deleting the 'old' data instead of buying a larger storage device. It's nonsense.

Additionally, games have got larger because resolutions are higher, graphical quality is higher, blah blah. It's called progress. My first PC didn't have a hard drive, and I couldn't install Windows 10 on it. It doesn't mean that my current PC is worse than my first PC. In fact, my current PC does considerably more than my first PC, is quieter, faster, and actually doesn't have a hard drive either. It's got solid state storage, and it's brilliant. It's because of the march of technology that it exists. It's the way of the world.

Tell you what though, you leave people to keep their data as they please and I'm sure they'll leave you to keep your data as you please.

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

In theory yes, but most of them won't support it, like for example the Qnap ones with M.2 ports are based on too old cpu / mobo combos for it.

Of course given the massive premiums that a decent NAS costs (especially once you consider just how big you need to go to allow for proper redundancy) you are better off just building one yourself which removes that restriction.

9. jinq-sea

Get back under your bridge and go back to deleting your unnecessary data and I'll go back to playing Forza Horizon 3 in 4k and enjoying every minute of it. I couldn't give two sh1ts if the installation is four or ten or a hundred times bigger than it could have been, would have been, or was a week last Wednesday. I enjoy it. Other people (and me actually) enjoy keeping data that means something. We also enjoy life, doing things, shopping for bigger, faster storage, faster graphics cards, bigger monitors, upgrades that others see as pointless.

Live and let live, and don't try to enforce your controlling attitude on others. And don't wander off from your original point when you don't like what someone says. This is bit-tech. The spiritual home of excess and overkill.

10. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

Isn't Micron the same company that had to release firmware updates to partner built NVidia 1070 cards because it didn't perform at the same specs as the Samsung memory chips?