1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my custom Home Theatre PC: feedback requested

Discussion in 'Modding' started by crapito, 9 Oct 2003.

?

so what do you think?

1. excellent! can i buy it?!?!?!

4 vote(s)
    3.3%
  2. good job

36 vote(s)
    29.3%
  3. average

54 vote(s)
    43.9%
  4. my mom could do better...

29 vote(s)
    23.6%
  1. crapito

crapito What's a Dremel?

My HTPC webpage with pictures and additional info
    *edit: see the pics posted below*

about 2 months ago, i finished building my own custom Home Theatre PC. i'd like to get some opinions as to quality, value, how much you like it, the "wow!" factor, etc... if my HTPC is considered a success, i may build more and sell 'em (i already build and sell PCs to friends). btw: this is my first attempt at a clear Lexan case, so it isn't perfect, but noone who has seen it in person has ever called me on it. :)

here is the part list:
    motherboard: MSI K7N2-ISLR
    CPU: AthlonXP 1700+ (overclocked to 160x10.5=1680 ~2100 level)
    cooler: Volcano 9 w/cool mod
    RAM: 256mb PC2100 (overclocked to Mhz)
    HDD: Maxtor 80gb 7200rpm 2mb cache
    video: onboard (~GF4mx420 level)
    LAN: onboard nVidia 10/100
    DVD/CDRW: Lite-On 48x24x48x16
    power supply: Enlight 300w
    case: custom made clear Lexan

total cost to build: ~$525 according to prices @ Newegg as of 9/27 (the last time i checked)

it's plenty fast for a HTPC as it runs Q3A, GTA:VC and other games fine @ 800x600, which is what my 27" Sony XBR TV likes best. it has SVHS, composite, and analog computer video outputs; digital and analog sound outputs; firewire, USB2, RAID, SATA, etc... i can handle a better, faster video card as it has an AGP slot, but the case would have to be modified as i didn't see the need for any better video than onboard due to its role as a HTPC. also, the 2 120mm fans keep it nice and cool w/o a lot of noise. i use a Logitech cordless keyboard and mouse for the input.

i am thinking about selling this, either here or on Ebay, but i'd have to get at least $100 over my cost to build in order to make it worth while to make such a computer. i put about 20 hours into design and physically making the case, so i'd want to get something for my efforts.

anyway, let me know what you think, and thanks for looking...

Last edited: 9 Oct 2003
  2. Solarius

Solarius What's a Dremel?

Link isn't workin.

3. crapito

crapito What's a Dremel?

hmm... anyone know of a good free host for some pics and a little text? my Geocities site went over quota in about 10 minutes... :)

4. Digitalblueshift

Digitalblueshift What's a Dremel?

it appears you have been bit-teched....

5. Shogun

Shogun Banned

6. crapito

crapito What's a Dremel?

here are the pics, thanks to Shogun :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Solarius

Solarius What's a Dremel?

Nice job!

Looks like you have a couple of rough edges though. I bet that if you sand those out.. maybe smoke the plexi a bit, add some appropriate lighting, you'd have a hot mover there. As it is now, buying a Tivo and a DVD player would be cheaper then what you're asking.

If you're against smoking the glass.. then maybe painting the drive cover, and sheathing the wires would work. I guess it just depends on your buyers taste. Right now it looks more like a function over form which is where the DVD/Tivo argument comes in.

Still, very nice though. Planning on making my own as soon as I get my "lab" setup.. ;)

"Make it look cool and they will spend... " :)

8. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

any pics of that lit up

9. best49erfan

best49erfan What's a Dremel?

how about a full front shot also.

10. daniel_owen_uk

daniel_owen_uk What's a Dremel?

Nice job I would have given it an excellent but for the lack of cable tidyness :D

11. death_star

death_star What's a Dremel?

ditto

12. Twernmilt

Twernmilt What's a Dremel?

yea, just sleave those cables and it will look better than it does already, which is nice.

13. Sportbilly

Sportbilly What's a Dremel?

I'm with them ^

Why have a completely transparent case if the inside looks messy. Sleeve those wires, and carry over the theme on the outside of the case to the inside and It'll look 100 percent better.

I see you removed the original PSU cover, I'd either put it back on, or remove the remaining flap that sticks into the inside of the case, cause it looks unfinished.

And ditto on the rough edges too. You can sand 'em back and polish them with a buffing wheel...

It's Nice, but some more attention to detail will make it Very Nice :D

14. NissanFrontier

NissanFrontier What's a Dremel?

Nice Job but they are a few problems that may keep it from getting alot of money for it. I'm like everyone else some cable management would make it look really nice. Also they are a few edges that look like you cut them with a jigsaw and did not clamp it down or hold it when you cut it because the edge a rough. I used to have the same problem but I got a dremel and the multi-purpose cutting attachment and I cut it across with that leaving about 1/4 inch and then I take a metal yardstick to make sure I keep it straight then I take the sanding bit and sand it then take fine sandpaper and sand it and it makes really nice straight smooth edges. Also the way you connected the pieces to each other it's fine but for a cleaner and also less chance of cracking it I would use this glue (sorry can't remember the name) or use acrylic L brackets That would give you a smoother finish. Other then these few problems I think it looks awesome. I'm not the biggest modder but I'm just telling what I would look at if I was buying it. Thats just my 2 Cents.

15. STellY

STellY What's a Dremel?

very nice....

im with the ppl that say sleeve those wieres and hide a few.... cut em shorter to not have excess... or do summin with em... its a must with a clear case...

also like said earlier... those cuts could have been a bit neater as well but it doesnt look too bad...

and then last criticism note: you might wanna do summin with that DVD Drive... that greyish metalic color isnt too nice is it??

other than that man... its not lookin too bad :)

16. Stanmanfoo

Stanmanfoo What's a Dremel?

messy cables rock!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is my computer, cables flying all over the place! Makes it look really nice because of all the UV reactive stuff.

Nice work on the HTPC

17. Twernmilt

Twernmilt What's a Dremel?

i just notices the psu, whyd you take the cover off? cooling?

18. crapito

crapito What's a Dremel?

i took the cover off for the same reason i didn't "tidy up" the cables: i like the messy/chaotic/raw look. :naughty: apparently, though, only Stanmanfoo and i are into it...

ok... i suppose i will do some more work to it. i figure i did about 90-95% of the work, with sanding, cabling, etc being the finishing touches that i haven't completed yet. function is more important to me than form, which is why i skimped on the little details, including doing something about the DVD/CDRW drive case cause it was more work (at the time) than i wanted to invest. but... you guys are right: it's half-assed and i need to improve it.

thanks so much for the feedback; i really appreciate it.

pranks7er: i will take a pic with the light on an post it in a moment (i just got home from work).

best49erfan: i'll get you a full frontal shot too.

19. Stanmanfoo

Stanmanfoo What's a Dremel?

Got that right! :hehe:

The issue of fixing all the little perfectionistic things: not all of us have as much time as G-gnome, for example, where we can spend an incredible amount of time fixing every last detail. If you do spend some more time on it, you'll get a super-nice totally professional looking product, though. Either way, very nice job on your PC, mate! :clap:

20. crapito

crapito What's a Dremel?

thanks, Stanmanfoo. G-gnome's ORAC is the BEST computer case mod i've ever seen, and it should be, based upon the amount of time, money and effort that's gone into it.

anyway, here are my new pics...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the lighting isn't too special, but it adds a nice ambiance to the tv room, which was the whole point...