1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Whoops, that post should have gone in Latest Purchases.... :D

A reassuring amount.

They're reinforced with an aramid fibre (aka kevlar) lining and have pockets for knee armour. The jeans I've just ordered aren't fully lined - they only have aramid lining in key impact points, fully lined jeans have reinforcement all the way down to the shins - so I might send them back. Regular denim wouldn't stand a chance in a 30/40mph+ accident, to say nothing of the lack of knee armour.

2. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yeah, when you said kevlar trousers I assumed they'd be similar to kevlar sidewalls on bike tyres - a weave in the fabric itself. I certainly wouldn't want to be relying on denim alone to save my skin (literally) on a bike.

This also probably explains why I saw a guy this afternoon riding his bike whilst wearing jeans - the same guy is often seen on his bike wearing full leathers, but it's a bit hot just now for that get up. I now assume that he was wearing reinforced jeans (or was feeling very brave) :D

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

The two times I've had bad accidents on bikes (motor and BMX) I had nothing on but a pair of shorts. And bugger me, I paid the price for it. Wrap up kids :)

Byron C likes this.
  4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Fastest I've ever ridden one of my bicycles was around 38mph and it was bloody terrifying. I was wearing a polo shirt, bib shorts, and a bicycle helmet, none of which would have done anything to stop my skin from being shredded if I had wiped out. I didn't realise I was going that fast until I checked Strava much later...!

I wore regular "normal" jeans on my motorbike maybe three times, and one of those was my CBT. I soon realised how stupid it was. It might only be a 125cc engine but I'm still regularly travelling at 50/60+mph. Won't get on it without proper gear - helmet, jacket, trousers, boots.

Not quite weaved into the fabric, it's usually a lining that's stitched to the inside of the denim. Which is what separates quality jeans from the £30 Aldi jobbies: how well that stitching and fabric will hold the important stuff in place in an accident.

5. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

A few days ago there was an electricity shortage and a power spike killed our brand new printer (which wasn't plugged on a decent powerbar *facepalm). The manufacturer's customer service sent us a new printer right away, they added an extra 6 months warranty and didn't ask that we send back the dead printer.

6. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

My car is definitely dead, but It does look like I'm going to recoup almost all of the costs of repairs thus far when I sell it, so at least I'm not having to dump more money in to get rid of it, the extra funds will simplify finding a new car to run around in, even if I can't get quite what I'd like to.

7. Vault-Tec

After about thirty attempts to contact the manager @ BT I finally got through about 15 mins ago. She explained to me what happened. Basically Plusnet have put a cease on the line, so the order I placed with BT could not go through. Once that happens BT charge you £164.99 for connection, internet set up and then £43 for a month. Wow.

Any way, that is not what he assured me when he called me. As such BT have placed me a new order for a line takeover. It won't happen until the 18th (was the 8th) but it doesn't matter one jot because I am getting BTFON for free and getting 58mb fibre too. God bless living about 50ft from the Openreach box !

So yeah, they also dropped the £34.99 charge to £9.99. Not bad that, a £150 odd saving ! Got my new phone number through email today too, so everything is right in the world lol. Won't have a phone for ten days, but will put some credit on Skype or something like that. That'll do, I only phone the old dear every other day to make sure she's OK.

8. Vault-Tec

Man alive. I'm not a very shy person and I usually come across as very confident. But the woman who just signed me up for my new bank account was so pretty and smelt so nice that I couldn't even look at her. One of those women who are so stunningly beautiful that you actually feel embarrassed and ashamed to be sat near her lmao. Doesn't happen very often that !

So yeah, finally got my second bank account. So now it's brown in the back, yellow in the front, and I know whether I am coming or going :D

9. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I am so rubbish at applying silicon but the bottom of the shower was looking ropey so i thought I cannot put off the job of renewing it.
    Thought I would try to do it right so where to turn Youtube for videos.
    Bought the necessary kit for the job.
    • 1 x Vitrex Sealant Remover & Profile Kit
    • 1 x No Nonsense Sanitary Silicone White 310ml
    • 1 x Eurocel Masking Tape 25mm x 50m (60542
    • 1 x No Nonsense Sealant Remover 100ml
    Removed shower door and proceeded and everything was going well until rather than the tool to smooth the silicon in place I used changed to a wet finger though forgetting that I had just wiped some excess away, yuk.
    The use of masking tape for the joint is definitely the way to go as it looks really neat as oppose to my usual messy efforts.
    Job done.

10. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Wrist injury diagnosed as good old tendentious, the guy I saw previously seemed pretty cool and listening to what I want to get back to fitness wise rather than telling me not to do things.

Guest-23315 likes this.
  11. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Replaced my duff wing mirror with the new one

Garage quoted £250

I did it, grand total spend, £26 :cooldude:

Kronos, Guest-23315 and Vault-Tec like this.
  12. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Finally got booked onto a Certified Scrum Master course :)

Kronos likes this.
  13. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

A scrum master is the facilitator for an agile development team. Scrum is a methodology that allows a team to self-organize and make changes quickly, in accordance with agile principles. The scrum master manages the process for how information is exchanged.

I for one am none the wiser but congrats anyway, I think.:grin::grin::grin:

14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Does this help?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MadGinga and Byron C like this.
  15. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Errr no.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

16. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

What's making my life awesome right now?
    Believe it or not, getting a divorce. Everything is 100 percent civil, we're talking better than we have in years, and I've finally decided to transition fully. Save snide comments, if I'm willing to do it in small town Alabama any rudeness just bounces right off.

17. Vault-Tec

Riff is working again !

[​IMG]

Yay !

18. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

After all the stress in the past couple of weeks over my car and all the crap with replacing it; It went on the back of a lorry today, I got a tidy sum for it, and I'm collecting my new motor tomorrow.

I'll drop a photo or two in the latest purchases thread once I've got it home, if the conditions are good enough to take photos.

I also noticed that the General section is tagged with "Cheesecake sale now on!" which is just a cherry on top of today!

19. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

That's been there for ages :thumb: :grin:

20. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

my theatre PC decided that it was time for the mobo to take a steaming dump, and wipe itself with the boot drive ... this was my old gaming rig, which had been o/c'ed 24/7 for about 8 years lol.
    so, upgrades time, albeit on a tight budget.

picked up a fx-8350, cheap asus am3+ board, 8gb of DDR3, and a 120gb ssd to boot from for well under $300. i reused the case, PSU, and video card, as i really don't need much horsepower there.
    since i have a chromecast ultra on the TV, all i really need a HTPC for is to access my library of media, which is on the other PC. all the youtubing and netflixing happens from the phone.