1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

But still based on Home Office data, no matter how many additional agencies it goes through.

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Yes but the Home Office can [and will] blame said agencies for any cockups rather than admit it was a cockup of their making...

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Exactly, and if this article in the Guardian is anything to go by they already get around 10% of judgments wrong, it basically turns into a blame game with Cifas saying it was a Home Office mistake and them saying it was Cifas.

4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I think we're very poor when it comes to knowing who is and is not in the country compared to other european countries. I don't think it should be for the banks to keep tabs though.

May says we've never felt truly comfortable in the EU - speak for yourself, not me.

Edit. Sort the EU nationals and the Brits in EU status first. Disgusting that that's still up in the air.

5. RedFlames

As is Northern Ireland

6. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

I'm sure they've found a way to "legally" screen everyone. I doubt Cifas' lists can extend to 70m current accounts in a country of 65m, including children

7. adidan

Above all else that needs to be rectified. How they can play about with the peace in NI outstounds me.

Complicated though, rumours of NI getting special status - well, if UK nationals in NI have special status I'd like it too as a UK national thank you very much.

Meanwhile in Europe the Spanish are smothering democracy on the Catalan referendum. I'd like to know what the EU's stance is.

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Last edited: 22 Sep 2017
  9. RedFlames

The bar was set low and yet she still somehow missed... 'She said nothing, and made a poor job of saying it' was the general consensus on twitter...

Meanwhile, Moody's downgrades UK's credit rating...

10. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I'd reckon she said two things:
    1: She has no plan
    2: She wants to fool us into believing some creative thinking from the EU will lead to a solution that will please the remainers, the leavers and the economy.

11. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

I’ve come to the conclusion if we are actually doing this we should just crash out and take the economic hit now, ie rip the plaster off.
    Typically British but this dithering about isn’t helping anything.

12. Nexxo

There is no such thing as "crashing out". It would end the UK economy, full stop. Airline flights would stop immediately. 44% of imports and exports of goods would stop immediately. Financial services would stop immediately --including private pension payments to UK nationals living in the EU. Like, one second past midnight. "Crashing out" or "walking away" is a fantasy. It's no more possible than levitating a brick with your mind.

It's pure asshole bravado. Like punching your boss in the face and walking out of your job, only to find yourself defaulting on your mortgage, unable to pay your bills, in the dock for assault and pretty much having killed your career.

The UK government knows this full well. That is why Theresa May has just stalled Brexit by two more years and made the first concessions of many to follow.

Last edited: 23 Sep 2017
  13. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

There is also no "creative thinking" from the EU that will ride in on a dragon to slay the beast we unleashed (almost funny if it wasn't just sad that she ignores that it isn't the EUs duty to do the creative thinking in the first place as the UK is leaving the EU, not the EU leaving the UK), so maybe the beast will have to bite us to give us a kick in lower back to work out a plan.

14. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Eh its what people voted for I say give it to them, it will shut up the brexiters then.

Saying that it would amuse me if the Eu decided to say no to a transitional deal.

15. RedFlames

If only, they'll lash out at everyone and anyone rather than admit they ****ed up... It's the EU's fault for not giving us a deal... it's the remain camp's fault for not being happy about the economic rogering they're about to receive... the Govt's fault because their red white and blue brexit was the wrong shade of red white and blue...

The brexiters will likely never shut up... Most of them have already been at it for 40+ years, no signs they're going to stop now...

16. Nexxo

The UK's "creative" and "ambitious" thinking will consist of a bunch of half-assed impossible ideas, and when the EU rejects them as half-assed and impossible, it will be accused of not being "creative" and "ambitious" enough.

I'll go back to work on Monday and tell the oncologists I work with that they can cure cancer, they're just not being creative and ambitious enough.

17. adidan

Anybody got any bright ideas of a way out of this farce?

18. RedFlames

Break it to the electorate with a puppy?

[​IMG]

adidan and Nexxo like this.
  19. Nexxo

Without making (even more of) a mockery of the democratic process and causing (even more of) a constitutional crisis? No. Even if the leaders of the Leave campaign confess publicly that what they promised simply cannot be delivered and it's all a bad idea and let's forget about it, people will insist that they carry on because they voted, and now they want to have it their way.

For the electorate this is not about the EU anymore. This is about their having had their democratic say, and now the government has to listen, and that's that. If Brexit is going to destroy the economy, well that's the government's problem to sort out. In fact, the harder and more messy it becomes; the more the government squirms and struggles, the more people want it to happen. Why do you think people voted the way they did in the GE? This is the electorate's ultimate revenge on the politicians: they promised one unicorn too many, and now the people want their ****ing unicorn. And they'll smash the country in a fit of pique if necessary, and then it will be all the government's fault.

This whole Brexit drama? It's the ****ing most exciting thing that has ever happened in most people's boring, empty and meaningless lives. It's like The Only Way is Brexit, and they get to live the show as the main characters. All the outrage, the two-minute-hate of anything EU, the cries of betrayal, it's crack cocaine for the masses. They've never felt so like they matter.

So no matter what the government does: stay, leave, crash out, get the most fantastic cake-and-eat it deal ever; it will not be good enough. Next GE it will vote for Labour just on principle. Just to **** the government over again. Or perhaps Lib Dem. Or UKIP. Whatever causes the most trouble.

So that's where we are. Ain't democracy grand?

Last edited: 23 Sep 2017
  20. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Look at the Florence speech, she didn't even make an excuse for not revealing her plan as she did in the past (making it rather obvious she doesn't have one), but simultaneously put the responsibility to solve the problem squarely on the EU.
    So she is already trying to trick us into exactly that.