1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding High focus white LED's?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Randomboy, 16 Oct 2003.

1. Randomboy

Randomboy What's a Dremel?

I'm in need of some very highly focused LED's. The less off axis light transmission the better. I dont know quite a whole lot about LED's, but I think theres a "viewing angle" rating :p

Basically the LED will be at the base of a 1" (3/4" ID, 1" OD) hollow acrylic rod, with a piece of 3/4" rod as a stopper in the bottom (and top as well, as this will be for water transmission in a WC'ing setup :D :D), and I plan on putting at least one super bright LED at the bottom, shining up to illuminate the column of water. I just want to avoid being able to see the source of light when viewed directly from the side.

Thanks!

2. Dogg

Dogg What's a Dremel?

i dunno about any really fine beamed LEDs.. but maybe you could rig a type of lens on it to sharpen the beam?

3. linear

linear Minimodder

15 to 20 degrees is a typical beam spread on a high brightness LED. 10 degree ones are available, but you're gonna pay a lot more. I'd try a stock one, I bet you'll be pretty happy.

Of course, nothing beats a Luxeon Star/O:

[​IMG]

That's a piece of 1" acrylic rod end lit by a Luxeon Star/O. There is no substitute. :rock:

4. Dogg

Dogg What's a Dremel?

yeah, the stars are awesome.. a lot of money tho :sigh:

5. Astrum

Astrum Dare to dream.

I never knew you owned a lightsaber linear :p

10 degrees is the smallest I've found... Actually its about 12.5 degrees. They are rather pricey though...

6. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

Randomboy, as Linear says, just try a regular LED. The viewing angle is quite small anyway.

7. Randomboy

Ok, I didnt know one way or the other, but now I know :) I'll be doing that then. Hmmm, now just lotsa mcd :)

And ouch....... it'd cost me 60 bucks to do luxeon stars under each rod :p Regular LED's it is! :clap:

8. Randomboy

Decided my case was gonna be smoked *gray tinted acrylic* with mostly blue accents everywhere........... :) Just ordered 35 4000mcd blues and 10 8000mcd whites from lsdiodes.com :) and the appropriate # of resistors as well :) I think I'll be making my own Luxeon stars, or cheap imitations anyways. I'm not gonna have everything lit up, but the things that WILL be lit up, are gonna be LIT UP :) mwahahahhahahhah

mwahahhahahha
    mwhwhahhahahaha

Cheers!

9. Wolfe

Wolfe What's a Dremel?

you can file the plastic dome off the housing of most leds, you just have to be careful you dont hit the element. It is a pain in the a$$ tho.

You have to polish them too, but you get a less diffused beam.

10. Randomboy

No wolfe, I WANT very focused beams, at least for my 16" long pices of 1" hollow acrylic that will have water flowing through them :)

I replaced a few LED's in my brothers alarm keychain, went from this tiny little 1-2mm red LED to a nice 5mm blue one, I've dealt with filing them down before, I'll be fine.

Went and picked up some PCB tonite, I'll have 3/4" circles worth of PCB to put under my rods, thinking I'll be able to fit at least 4 LED's per piece of board :)

11. OtakuHawk

OtakuHawk What's a Dremel?

Linear, what's teh linkage to them Luxeon Star LEDs????

I think I just found my new lightsaber. :D

12. Theo

Theo What's a Dremel?

13. Wolfe

Wolfe What's a Dremel?

less difused = more focused

14. Randomboy

I r no speek teh engrish :p Thanks :) That may actually come in handy, seeing as with flat tops I'll be able to butt them directly against the base.

15. apoogod

apoogod trix arent just for kids

What resistor did you use on that linear? Also is that a 5v line?