1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Graphics card performing way under par [solved]

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by specofdust, 28 Oct 2017.

1. specofdust

specofdust Banned

So, my system is as follows (don't laugh, it's old)

Intel i5-750 overclocked to 3.3 Ghz
    MSI P55-GD65
    8GB of some random RAM
    AMD R9 280 - not overclocked.
    Windows 10
    Corsair RM750 PSU
    1080p monitor

Running userbenchmark.com benches, my graphics card is showing as performing in the 0th percentile of comparative tests with my graphics card - so something ain't right, I'd say. On top of that, I'm running BF4 at 1080p in low and am only getting about 30-40 fps. I'd expect based on past experience and based on what the internet says to be getting that with everything set to ultra.

I know userbenchmark is probably trash, but that's enough of a difference to be investigated. I'm running the official 17.10.2 drivers, and I've installed MSI afterburner to check - things look normal, nothing out of the ordinary, minimal GPU usage while idling (so not being mined), steady 35/36C on the GPU at ambient. Full speed ahead (100%) on gaming.

I only recently got this PC back online as I'd moved around for a bit and so hadn't been using it. I've checked that the ancillary power cables are seated right and they are.

Going by MSI Afterburner my GPU is running as normal, 940 mhz core / 1250 mhz RAM. Furmark reports that it's running in the 500 / 150 low power state, but I don't know whether to trust that or not.

I've reinstalled drivers, but beyond that am not sure what to do. If it's required I'll buy a 1060 and just get back to business, but my gut is telling me that there's something wrong here. Anyone have any experience with similar, or any advice on how to fix?

Cheers,

Spec

2. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

I wouldn't laugh at that PC, it's better than mine in some respects...

My first thoughts are to get a bit more benchmarking in other than BF4, do you have any other games that you can check the speed on? it may be that particular game might need reinstalling.

Also, what temperatures does Afterburner indicate when you are gaming? Less than around 90 degrees would be fine, over 90 - 100 degrees and I'd think that it might be throttling even if the speed says otherwise.

If the PC has been moved around it's probably worthwhile to take everything out the motherboard and reseat them, including the memory.

3. Neilc

Neilc Minimodder

its Does sound slightly odd - To me it sounds like a Graphics card issue

I would second blackerthanblack's suggestion about the Temps, that could definitely be the cause.

Couple of things to check of the top of my head:

- Graphic fans are spinning up?
    - Check windows power settings are not set to low
    - Do you have any spare PCI power feeds available from the PSU and maybe try different power cables if you have any spare

4. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Thanks dudes, I'll check temps and reseat everything when I get a chance. Graphics fans are working fine. Power settings are customised to everything being max. I will also try the spare PCI power feed though as that seems like another plausible solution.

5. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Fixed it (after a lot of trial and error). I uninstalled MSI afterburner and installed Sapphire TRIXX instead. I uninstalled the drivers I'd rolled back to, cleaned the system of any drivers again, and installed the latest beta drivers. The GPU is now running at 950 Mhz just fine, and I'm back to BF4 on maximum @ 60 FPS rather than minimum @ 35. Happy days!

Otis1337 likes this.
  6. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

Great, thanks for letting us know you got it sorted.
    Probably not related, but I've noticed my Afterburner reporting temps about 6 - 10 degrees higher than normal, usually for a little while, then going back to normal after a restart. I thought it might be because I undervolt my GPU, but maybe it's time for me to reinstall stuff as well.

7. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Windows 10 was involved in my issues somehow too, as my graphics drivers and MSI afterburner didn't autoupdate. When I got the PC out of storage Win 10 did it's eleventy million updates and that was somehow the source of the issue. While in general I'm a fan of windows 10, it does get entirely too automatically involved in gaming, you can't even turn gaming mode off anymore, and it gimped my Logitech Proteus 502 in games.