Build Advice getting a new rig advice wanted pls

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dreamcometru, 26 Oct 2017.

1. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Be ballsy, man. It's not always a bad thing! :D :D

Vault-Tec likes this.
  2. Dreamcometru

Dreamcometru Minimodder

this box.co.uk website seems to be really good value for money as far as i can tell.

what do you guys think of this ?

sure it comes without the monitor in my build but then it ships with windows 10 so the price difference is 30-50 quid really.

im just hoping in the black friday sales this mode will be a bit cheaper.

phoned them to enquire about it the psu is a 750W coolermaster but i forgot to ask the rating :( also the ram runs at 2666mhz.

really tempted to save myself all the faff of having to buy a usb memory stick download windows exe then boot the computer with that then phone microsoft and sort out a new key for windows 10 when the prce is essentially the same.

what do you think?

3. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

if you have your MS account digitally linked you soundnt need to call them for reactivation.

4. Dreamcometru

Dreamcometru Minimodder

Can you talk me through the process?

I’ve ordered a usb memory stick and I’m gonna use that to load windows 10 onto the ssd

Where do I go from there?

Will it allow me to get into windows to provide my account details and ‘unlock’ windows 10?

5. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Install Windows, login with your details and see if it activates. If Not, follow onscreen instructions. Simples.

6. Dreamcometru

Dreamcometru Minimodder

thanks man.

i made a few final tweaks to the build please let me know what you think.

i changed from the antec p8 when i read a few reviews saying that the thermals on that case were not great.

i hope the new case is a better choice?

another question about the thermaltake case - should i get another 120mm fan as its only supplied with one? i was thinking maybe one fan at the bottom of the case to push the air up and into the exhaust fan? is that a good idea? if so which fan should i get? please bear in mind that i dont want to spend more than 5 or 10 pounds on a fan.

many thanks in advance

7. Dreamcometru

Dreamcometru Minimodder

guys pls halp.

i realise your prolly bored of my whining but i need some advice pls im just a noob.

i was reading the notes on the strix mobo and came across this quote

"*3 Due to AMD Ryzen™ Processor limitation, More than DDR4-2666 is supported by one DIMM per channel only"

what does that mean?

i looked it up on google but the answers i found here were too technical for me can sum1 dumb it down pls?

in that link i posted someone also says the worst ram to get is the 3ghz ram. Is that true? i have ordered 3ghz ram...

pls halp.

8. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

It means every RAM stick needs to have memory chips on both sides. Unless you got 4GB sticks, I doubt there's anything to worry about. Even for 4GB I don't think so either.

Having 3000mhz RAM isn't the "worst." Ryzen simply works better with higher speeds and lower timings, which usually means Samsung memory chips. Some 3000mhz RAM run Hynix memory chips with have a CAS latency of 16 while the Samsungs have CL15 and CL14.

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

You can use Ram rated for 3000, but you won't run it at its rated speed due to the available multipliers.
    2933 or 3200 will be the closest choices.
    Running 3000 Ram at 2933 will work just fine (been doing that myself since Ryzen came out), 3200 you can certainly try, but a pretty good chance it won't work without crap timings or excessive voltage.