1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Know something we dont?

2. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Among the best film scanners you can get under 500$, I’ve been using it for a year and I get “Wowed” every tine I use it. The scanning time is nothing to write songs about but the image quality is impressive, more than what you’d expect from a 13 years old device you can get on ebay for 70/80$. IMHO You can't go wrong with either Dimage IV or Dimage III.

Note: The these old scanners are sensitive to USB timing on faster computers. If it hang or if your OS doesn’t detect it, get a new usb cable, preferably a short one.

Ps: Don’t lose this sweet soft release button, they’re like gold dust. :D

Pliqu3011 likes this.
  3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Well, the Met Office have just issued a warning of yellow snow for Friday/Saturday...

4. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Don't be a naughty eskimo.

5. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Joys of being a soft southerner I get none of that white/yellow stuff down here never gets blinking cold enough anymore here.

6. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Last edited: 2 Jan 2018
  7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Hyvä itsenäisyyspäivä for tomorrow.

8. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

New ceiling light for the studio renovation as well as 2 chrome single plugs and light switch

[​IMG]

9. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Not a direct purchase, but off the back of one, this arrived in the post today.

[​IMG]

The hoes will be all over me when I flash this puppy at Legoland in a few weeks :lol:

10. Mister_Tad

A big 'ol box of toys...

[​IMG]

One of my wife's students got in touch with Nottingham council and discovered that there are ~600 kids in shelters in Nottingham alone, who are at the mercy of charitable donation as to whether or not they have something to open come Christmas morning. This got me right in the feels as whilst we've always done donations for kids and other faceless charities in faraway places, we kind of forget there's a need right on the doorstep. Worth thinking about with your next <insert gadget here> purchase that gets posted here - how about spending a few quid extra on some toys and drop them off at your local shelters.

Now to resume your originally scheduled programming...

Byron C, Gunsmith, Pliqu3011 and 4 others like this.
  11. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

That's a great move, more of that all round; remembering local needs is important.
    We went to an annual gathering at a neighbour's last weekend and their entry requirement is to bring a suitable gift for a child at a local shelter - which we're always happy to do.
    Also told that a good tip is to include something for a mid or older teen, as most donations are aimed at the little kids. Same with putting something nice in the food bank collection at the supermarket exit.

12. Mister_Tad

That's a good point - ours is 4, so we relate to that most closely and have ended up with a box full of the sort of stuff she would go for, and probably cap out at around 10. I might need to have a think about what might be suitable for older age groups and top up the box.

Another tip I had last year from someone that runs a food drive: tin openers. They're had people rummage through the box and return tins without a ring-pull to give to someone else, on account of having no way to easily get into it... heartbreaking, yet never even occurred to me.

13. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

You're welcome.
    Blimey, I'd not even thought of that problem. Most cans have ring pulls and I have to say that scrabbling in the drawer for the tin opener is an irregular occasion these days.

14. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Last edited: 2 Jan 2018
  15. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I technically bought this a little while ago, but it's only just arrived...

[​IMG]

ZX Spectrum Next, a recreated ZX Spectrum on a Xilinx FPGA with HDMI and VGA outputs. Oh, and it can run at stock 3.5MHz up to 28MHz, has a header to attach a Raspberry Pi Zero as a co-processor, an ESP8266 as a Wi-Fi network card, hardware sprites, a recreated SID chip(!), joystick ports...

It's lovely, and I haven't even turned the thing on yet.

IanW and RedFlames like this.
  16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Dare I ask what this cost?!

17. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

iirc - £150 for just the board, £250 for a full spectrum-a-like...

So it's... not cheap...

18. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

he is just hoping he can do this

19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

£99 for the board, and I have a fully-cased version - in a QL-inspired housing designed by Rick Dickinson himself - coming early next year for... £240, I think it was, with the Raspberry Pi co-processor, real-time clock, and ESP8266 network module pre-fitted. Not cheap, but I do get to claim them as a business expense!

20. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

The specnext site says otherwise at £119 + VAT, unless they're available elsewhere cheaper... [or the £99 was a crowdfunder offering.]