1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reviews PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 22 Dec 2017.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

I refuse to reward a developer with my cash that puts out such a crap looking & resource hungry, unoptimised POS as this.

In terms of visuals, 2010 called and would like its game back.

Bah Humbug.

3. riggs

riggs ^_^

Yup, totally agree. I simply do not understand the hype surrounding this game. If Twitch/Streaming didn't exist I reckon PUBG would've got buried under the pile of similarly crap games on Steam.

Also, the 6th paragraph of the review doesn't sound like a game deserving of the "Outstanding" rating.

4. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

You two need to lighten up. Did your pensions not come in this month?

With my spec i have a constant 100-110 fps maxed, i started out on 50-60fps when it first came to early access so they have made good progress with the optimization and new content, features and general improvements are pushed out in a timely fashion.
    Also the game can looks really nice turned up. Its no SWBF2, but still good looking, remember the map size and player count it has to run too.

Its tuns of fun, and yes needs more improvements (mainly with server perfornce even though they have said they have some of the best servers money can buy)

As for the Twitch/Streaming comment, thats just not true. Thats like saying CSGO wouldn't be the success it is without streamers. The counter strike core community was around way before streaming. And PUBG is a bad game to watch streaming till the last few minutes.

Last edited: 22 Dec 2017
    Arboreal and TheMadDutchDude like this.
  5. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

This game is epic fun and I love it. I put most of my game time into it whenever I can.

The game has come a long, long way since its inception. It's has been massively optimized compared to where it was, and it will only get better as time goes on.

Arboreal likes this.
  6. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

I agree with Otis and TMDD, I was really skeptical about it and used a mate's subsidised Steam credit to get it cheap.
    One map? can't be any good... I was quite wrong
    I have put a fair amount of time into it, inc the Test Servers in the last month.
    Nothing else has the tension or nerves when you're in a house and you can hear someone searching it.
    I've not won a Chicken Dinner yet, but had a few 3rd and 4ths. Duo and Squads - only 3 of us at the moment, have been fun and frustrating.
    Pretty much that is it for PUBG - fun and frustration.
    It has improved in leaps and bounds, and unlike many other early access games, will continue to do so.
    Miramar is real evidence of progress, and a 3rd map in a few months I gather.

TheMadDutchDude likes this.
  7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

PUBG is the sort of game i could really get into but having watched some videos on YouTube it seems to suffer from cheaters/hackers more than your average online multiplayer game. :(

8. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

Summed up well.
    No leveling up, no pay to win, no grinding.
    I'll forgive the poor optimization. I'd rather an unpolished game than a game I can't compete in because I don't pay or grind.

TheMadDutchDude and Arboreal like this.
  9. TheMadDutchDude

In my near 60 hours of game time, I've encountered two obvious ones. That's hardly a lot.

Most of them are from China and play on US servers.

Corky42 likes this.
  10. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

On websites like youtube it is social suicide to admit you are anything less than the ultimate god of gaming skill, so plain old sucking is frequently falsely attributed to cheaters / hackers.

Arboreal likes this.
  11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

It wasn't just plain old i suck so I'll blame cheating/hackers, it's blatantly obvious as some people get kill with headshot punches when falling from the plane at the start and there's other videos with people move at six million miles an hour, plus the company who polices that sort of thing for the developer claim to be banning upwards of 13k players per day.

I would post a video but most are NSFW as people tend to swear lots when they realise what's going on.

Arboreal likes this.
  12. JakeTucker

JakeTucker Minimodder

I was in top 5000 players in EU (haven't played enough with Christmas to get ranked in the new leaderboard), and I encountered two hackers in 800 hours of play. Headshot punches when falling from the plane used to be surprisingly possible. Also, if they're banning 13k players a day, that's 13,000 people that aren't hacking in games. Remember at any given time 2m people are playing PUBG.

Arboreal, Corky42 and TheMadDutchDude like this.
  13. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I get why people like it and I get what's good about it. There just isn't anything that really makes me want to give it a try. Maybe it's the pace, maybe it's the fact I don't like particularly like hunting for stuff then meeting other people with way better gear. And I just don't care about the colour of my character's underwear, so the grind for cosmetics is not for me either.

Arboreal likes this.
  14. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

I quite like the varied pace of a quick unlucky run on landing if you go somewhere busy and are not geared up; or 20 mins and see no one until the area's small and it's getting frantic - the nerves are present when hiding or moving on.
    Meeting someone with more kit is an occupational hazard - my original gaming name was 'god I'm crap' and I'm still pretty rubbish.
    As to cheats & hacks, I've not noticed any; but with my lack of skill being killed by the first person I see is pretty normal!
    I did punch out someone with a pistol the other week, which was more of a surprise to me than them TBH :eeek:.
    My friend with too much Steam credit has been dealing in clothing and donated a few cheap items, so the grind doesn't really come into it.
    What I do like is the lack of ability to buy advantage in the game; you start each round with a clean sheet and new possibilities [to get shot badly in 2 mins flat!]
    Still playing it more than anything else, a bit of old school COD MW on LAN nights and Sniper Elite 3.

TheMadDutchDude likes this.
  15. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Played about 160 hours - so far I've been killed once by someone I suspect (but can't prove) was cheating.

As is nearly always the case, most people saying "there are loads of cheaters" usually just suck at the game and are butthurt by being beaten.

The performance is much much better (i'm getting circa 100fps now, up from 60), apart from the first 30 seconds of the match where the lag is intolerable. The visuals are pretty good - not triple A, but the map sizes are huge so they are good enough. Who even cares about that when the gameplay is so fun in any case?

TheMadDutchDude and Arboreal like this.
  16. TheMadDutchDude

^ so much yes. :D

17. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Given the options of PUBG's rough diamond or the entire Christmas Triple A line up of finely polished turds I would take PUBG every time.

It runs a bit better every update, whilst they have experimented with in game stores and lootboxes (and got rightly slapped for it) their conduct as a developer/publisher is still much better than EA/Activision/Ubisoft/2K. It's been refined enough over the old ARMA 3 mods to stand as it's own game too.

As for the graphics, it looks good enough and runs on UE4, so most PCs can ruun it if they're prepared to turn the shinies off.

Arboreal and TheMadDutchDude like this.
  18. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

I really enjoy this, I do not have any performance issues on my oldish rig, playing at 1440P on High.

Yes the graphics are not super pretty like newer games, but for me its the gameplay that matters

Kimbie

19. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I like the game, and have put over 350 or 400 hours in to the game.

Performance is alot better now than it was, and the lag seems to be alot better with rarely any issues lately.

The whole issue I have with the game is the amount of cheaters in it, and it's not a case of "I suck so anyone who kills me is a cheat", last week I was in the top 0.25% for Solo EU and was close to getting in the Top 10 but I didn't keep playing solo games.

I find I am coming across a cheater roughly, once every 2 or 3 games and they range from "The Flash" type movement speed, to 1 shot headshot with AR's through lvl 2 helmets with no damage and no health lost just instant death, to being hit by 30 rounds in the head within a split second of them popping out of cover, to turning on "God Mode" when they should have died and killing me instead, to shotguns shooting through wall's and many other things.

I have now started recording every game and if I see someone using a cheat, I put it on Youtube but it's not always me being killed by a cheater it's also other people in the server being killed and then someone managing to kill them, or we die before we meet them.

The developers have got to get the cheating sorted out because it's quite simply at such a stupid level.

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

With 3 million players is it even possible for a casual to start now? Anyone without hundreds of hours of play must get wiped off the map immediately, that's what puts me off..

Tags: Add Tags