1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

G-gnome's Orac³ - Part 1

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by G-gnome, 23 Aug 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Re: did you use this?

I sure did! :baby:

2. princexxx

princexxx What's a Dremel?

if you read the system specs, you'd probably find that its not a water cooling 'kit' but there'd be the parts and locations to get the parts.
    IMO its best to build a w/c system than buy one straight off the shelf like that poor excuse of a water'cooling' system thermaltake makes...

3. lilrican87

lilrican87 What's a Dremel?

I was just wondering how exactly the jack plugs work. and can you post a picture of how you connect the wires to the end of the plug. the only thing you have is one already connected with shrink wrap on it. thanks :D oh yeah one more thing what is the specific type of techflex that you used ?

4. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Welcome to the forums! :)

I didn't get into the jack plugs as it's just a simple soldering job - live wire (+ve) to the 'tip' terminal and earth wire (-ve/GND) to the 'sheathe' or outside part of the plug terminal. When you open a plug up its easy to see where the wires get soldered to. So easy I don't think I even took a pic of it.

The Techflex I used is mentioned a few posts back - including a link! :eeek:
    ;)

5. Fr0z3n

Fr0z3n What's a Dremel?

I was wondering how big the hose and techflex is. I plan on hopefully doing the same with the wires in the new machine im building. :rock:

6. ramapoughnative

ramapoughnative What's a Dremel?

Howdy!
    I'm a newbie at modding but by all means not new with computers. I started over 30 years ago programming on mainframes. I have to say, I never would have believed pc's would have gone so far. The work you have done so far is incredible and my hat is off to you for such an accomplishment. I can't wait to see more... thanks for sharing.

7. imjacktoo

imjacktoo What's a Dremel?

What ur doing is really fantastic, it has really inspired me to to bump it up a notch or two on my own mods..I alweys do things in a hurry. I believe I'll slow it down and pay more attention to the little things that can make the difference....detail-detail=detail........great work and can't wait for " the rest of the story"

Forget the quote, its a Paul Harvey thing, u prolly dont get Paul Harvey over there on the radio.

Last edited: 23 Oct 2003
  8. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

I haven't checked this thread in a while -

imjacktoo and ramapoughnative - A slightly belated "welcome to the forums"!

imjacktoo - you may be right re: Paul Harvey, I've not heard him on the radio here. "the rest of the story" is going on at a mad pace - hence the reason the update has been delayed. It can take me up to 2 days work to write, collate, edit, re-size pics, upload images and post an update. Updates seem to run at 80-90 pics so there's a bit of work there. Atm I'm concentrating on modding and getting the project finished. :)

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

LOL :D Yeah, I know the feeling... I keep checking on this thread just to see what I've got to try and keep up with! :D

Absolutely. Mine is an amalgamation of self-made bits, non-commercial home-brew blocks, a motorboat/car engine part (pump) and modded Aqua-Computer parts. When you find yourself modding your modding bits, you know you've gone off the far end... :D

Orac just keeps lookign tastier. Soon it will have an ego as big as its namesake in Blake's 7. :D Oh, and BTW G-gnome, your mod made the November issue of PC Format in the UK. :thumb:

10. Jonas79

Jonas79 What's a Dremel?

/edit: wrong thread :blush:

11. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

:hehe:

Welcome to the forums Jonas79! (I saw your post in the other thread) :)

12. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

All of the modding covered in this thread can be viewed in the following articles on the main bit-tech.net website - Orac3 Parts 1-4 and further updates are available by viewing:[/SIZE]

Part-1

Part-2

Part-3

Part-4

Comments etc can be made in the article discussion threads.

Otherwise - check out the update thread in the forums (click on the images):

[​IMG]
    Part-2 of the Orac³ Project – First Update
    VFD Module, Fan Controller, Front Bezel, Front Switch Panel

[​IMG]
    Second Update
    Wiring Cables, Plugs and Front Switches

[​IMG]
    Third Update
    Fan Controller Rear Cover, DVD and DVD-R/RW Mods, Front Grille
    Drive Covers, Radiator and Fan Mods, Case Feet
    Plug-Wire Separators, Light Diffuser Strip

[​IMG]