Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Check your ears. I was looking for my phone yesterday, moving papers around on my desk, trying to think where I last had it, all whilst talking to my gf - on my frickin phone!

Kronos and IanW like this.
  2. adidan

Today I am mostly moving my head like a puppet as I slept funny and trapped something in my shoulder.

At least pain makes you appreciate not being in pain. Up sides to everything I guess.

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

F.A.B

adidan likes this.
  4. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

With me it is tools, I can be working on something and lay a tool down, or so I have thought, go to pick it up and it has vanished to another part of the room or even another room. I believe I have always had a family of gremlins living in my house who like to play tricks.

5. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Found it. My mum had seen it Saturday when we went out so had decided to helpfully put it in one of the tiny cubby holes in my car next to the steering wheel. I've never used it before and she didn't think to mention it to me.

6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Car is dead. No electrics whatsoever: remote central locking doesn't work, no interior lights, no sign of life on the dash; totally flat. I have AA cover, but the part that really makes this life-ruining is that we're 140 miles from home in London.

7. legoman

legoman breaker of things

My old Vauxhall went in for three recalls.

ABS control unit, if it get wet it can catch fire.

Central locking, unlocking because it gets bored.

Timing chain, tensioner fails potential for lunching your engine while driving.

Personal favourite car for recalls, Renault Scenic II.

Electronic parking brake can come on at speed no incidents in the UK but recorded abroad and they are not pleasant.

Diesels on startup can have "runaway" issues as in the engine wont stop even when pulling the key out, usually result in fire as the engine cooks itself.

Electronic dash turns off while driving no dials etc, always livens up the day.

Byron, AA should be able to supply a new battery to get you back, get them to check for drains and the alt charging though.

8. adidan

Liking your work Dave, liking your work.

9. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yep, they did all that. Battery was at 0.165 volts when the patrol first tested it.

After charging for 5 mins he tested the battery drain with the engine off and there was a 2A drain. D--kbrain here had left the interior lights on .

Battery is charging fine from the engine, the alternator is pumping 37A back in, so once we've been driving an hour or so we should be good.

We were planning to go to the Imperial War Museum today before we drove back, but had to abandon that. I'm annoyed we had to cancel our plans, but I'm relieved we didn't have to be towed to a garage and be given the old teeth-sucking "Yeah that's gonna cost ya mate" routine.

legoman likes this.
  10. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Least your mobile again. Always worth having a mini jumper pack in the car like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/DBPOWER-18...8&qid=1520944899&sr=8-4&keywords=jump+starter

Not used it on my car but its started a few others over the cold snap an still not had to recharge it yet. Compass is a bit silly mind.

11. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

I was looking at a piezo motor manufacturer website and this showed up as an example application - "What the hell is that?" I wondered, clicking through...

[​IMG]

The page was entitled "MRI Guided Prostate Ablation" :geek:

I'm very sensitive about this sort of thing

12. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Mayhem Pasfail.

[​IMG]

*sigh*.

13. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

mPCIE antennae connectors...

Getting them off was ballache enough, getting the feckers back on again was a right mare...

14. Vault-Tec

Imagine finding out there are two types and you have the wrong one.. After about an hour of trying...

15. Vault-Tec

Forgot to mention this one but it was kinda funny. So yesterday I hoovered the flat for the first time in about two months. It was one of the things I let slip, then the flat just became so chaotic (with projects all over the place, including the floors) that I couldn't vacuum even when I wanted to. The Oreck was sitting out in the hall way where it lives and it has a grey bag (outer bag). So of course I didn't notice how dusty it was. As soon as I threw the switch this enormous dust cloud shot straight off of it lol. Proper made me cough and splutter :D

16. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I've got a MariaDB galera node not joining the cluster due to some mysterious timeout error.
    I had a backup script that was supposed to generate roughly 30MB tarballs, but for some reason it was generating up to 25~30GB files.
    These tarballs sit on a replicated GlusterFS cluster, with ZFSforLinux with replication between 2x4TB 7200RPM with deduplication on, meaning it's HELLA SLOW Y'ALL! Removing them is a right... pickle.

17. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

The latest version of Firefox on my work PC won't display text unless I zoom (in or out - doesn't matter which).

It will display text once I change the zoom level, it just won't at whatever zoom the page first loads in.

18. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Reinstalling a game from a few years back on a system that is far better than the system you had 5/6 years back but find the game runs really badly and you have to spend much time Googling and tweaking the hell out of it in the hope that something you do will make the game play nice. The game in question is Far Cry 3 and there seems to be stuttering, don't no if that is the correct term right from the get go after the first cinematic.

19. Vault-Tec

FC3 ran very well for me when I played it. Which wasn't for long, as I just could not get into it. FC4? yeah I have had some fun with that. I love sniping the leopard cages and watching it rip people to bits. So much fun.

20. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

It ran very well when I played it originally, but now it does not.