1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Building a complex cupboard with six drawers come wardrobe and things would be so much easier if the instructions could be much clearer which was top and which was bottom. Twice I have had to remove bits as they were upside down.

2. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

What use is a classified ads site when it's infested by stores, all paying to have their own overpriced crap at the top of each search?
    Just to get to listings from actual people, this is the frightening query I had to enter a few minutes ago on Marktplaats (the Dutch Gumtree pretty much):
    Code:
    sony a7 -demo -occasie -occasion -cameraland.nl -kamera -cameranu.nl -shop -myxlshop -kortingcamera.nl -uwcamera.nl -camera-tweedehands.nl -brapa.com -cheaptech -konijnenberg -vakman -foka -kamerafabriek -kameramarkt -NotebookToebehoren -kloegcom -hlhv -hifidump.nl -pixto-f -fotoshop -foto-fun
    That's 294 characters, of which 7 are my actual search term.

Last edited: 10 Mar 2018
    Arboreal likes this.
  3. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Nice item on your shopping list Pliqu.
    I went to a demo day at my old job (pro camera shop), to check out the Hasselblad X1D, which was pretty good, but expensive and a small system.
    What really did impress me were the Sony A7 bodies on the Zeiss lens stand; long time Nikon SLR/DSLR user, and they made a bigger impact on me than the X1D.
    Good luck with your search

Pliqu3011 likes this.
  4. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

The nightmare of a kid we're currently looking after just had a meltdown because my mum was using the TV for an hour to watch her gardening program. The 6 year old kid went into a fit of rage, smashed up his room then tried to smash a window by throwing a toy at it, luckily the kid can't aim and hit the frame so no damage done. He'll be losing all of his toys when my mum is finished. It's a really hard situation because he's clearly messed up but at this point there isn't really much we can do. We went golfing yesterday and he had a really good day and week then he ruins it all by trying to smash a window.

5. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

What RAM did you buy and what board have you got??

6. legoman

legoman breaker of things

hit something in the road, appears to have bounced up an hit my exhaust do the car now sounds like a tractor with a loud turbo. Thankfully the part is only £50 little higher an it would of been £500

7. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

In such situations the best tactic is to be the polite arse hole.

I hear what you're saying Mr Manager, but I'm not leaving until you give me a refund.

As long as they are trading, they are able to give you a refund. If Maplin goes fully tits up then you can only go on a list of creditors, but until that point they're still doing business and normal rules apply.

8. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Unfortunately, as Evolutionsic bought the RAM in the shop and thus able to see it before purchase, he has no legal right to a refund or replacement, unless the item is faulty, not as described or doesn't work as it is supposed to. There has been no suggestion the RAM modules were faulty so, the best he can hope for is a goodwill gesture. https://www.gov.uk/accepting-returns-and-giving-refunds

9. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Also things do change regarding your right to a refund (potentially even if the item is faulty) if the retailer goes into administration, even if superficially they appear to be trading as normal. If the company has gone out of business then the current premises (if open) are being used by the administrators to clear stock, not continue to run the business as normal until such time the premises are closed down.

10. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Maplin offers a 30 day return policy on store bought items, he's got the right to refund. Maplin is still trading 'as normal,' it is not yet in the phase of being cut up by the administrators, that 'as normal' phrase does actually mean that the company's policies are still in place and the company is still operating.

Even if he didn't so what? No store monkey is their right mind is going to do anything but give someone a refund if they pester long enough. The alternative is calling security or the police, then explaining to the police officer that the polite person is asking for a refund.

I have seen plenty of people who aren't entitled to anything get their money back because they asked nicely, then kept asking nicely until it was clear that they would get their money or else annoy the manager and hold up the checkout all day. You lot are all being far too British about this kind of thing.

11. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

As I said, there is no legal right to a refund, Maplins' policy is not a consumer right. In the same situation I would try for a refund or exchange too.

12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

[​IMG]

13. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Exhaust started blowing, meh, blowing because rapidly louder, weld between back of the centre section an pipe blew clean off, now have to get the car to Walsall Thursday where it was done to repair it, odds on being either deaf or pulled over by the police :naughty:

MLyons likes this.
  14. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

My company is cutting off any unmanaged devices from VPN in 6 weeks. This means both my off-piste laptop and phone. Booooooo.

Just picked a Lenovo Yoga 370 from the catalogue - so at home I'll continue to use my XPS 9560 for the 95% of my work that I can do without VPN, and another laptop for the 5% that needs it. Bit of a pain but easily manageable via Synergy or like (I bought an MS Master 3 months ago, kinda wishing it was a 2S about now).

What is more of a pain is travel - lug both laptops, take the Yoga and miss the power, take the XPS and deal with VPN via home if needed (on my atrocious ADSL pipe)? Bah.

15. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I assume that bouncing your laptop off the work laptop to reach the VPN's a no-go? I've done that before...

16. Mister_Tad

Nah, a bunch of checks (which I fail at the moment, but aren't enforced) are baked into the VPN connection manager :/

And at the end of the day I don't want to circumvent policies though, that's an awesome way to get in hot water.

17. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

nice letter from vauxhall claiming my car has a handbrake defect and needs to be repaired, oh goodie.

18. Mister_Tad

Free of charge though, right? Could be worse.

19. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

ofc, id be pissed if it wasnt, still, its several hours of my day to waste getting it sorted.

20. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

lost my decent set of earphone so now don't have any to use at work apart from my big dt770's from home. Looking at buying some SE215's to replace them. Still a pain to have £100 down the drain. I can't work out where they would of gone aswell. I vaguely remember putting them in my hoodie before leaving but couldn't find them when I got back so they either fell in the office which I doubt as someone would of said, in the car park which someone would of probably seen, my car which I've checked or the area outside my house which means they are gone for good. :wallbash::waah:

adidan likes this.