1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Fan rattle

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Greentrident, 19 Jun 2018.

1. Greentrident

Greentrident Minimodder

I've got a slight rattle on my R9 380 - are there any aftermarket coolers worth bothering with or should I go for a replacement part? Or does anyone have any suggestions for fixing without replacing the fan?

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Have any of the fan screws worked themselves a bit loose?

3. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

If it’s definitely the fan, you can grab replacements on eBay. :)

4. Greentrident

Greentrident Minimodder

I can't see any loose screws- will have to try removing the fan setup and tightening it up before I buy a replacement fan. Are there any all in one water coolers that are worth thinking about or are they a waste of money?

5. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

They are all much of a muchness. However, adding a cooler that is pretty much worth what your card is worth seems like a poor financial choice.

6. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

If you have the space and depending on the heatsink type you can sometimes remove the existing fan and zip tie a 120mm one onto the heatsink as a cheap fix.

7. Greentrident

Greentrident Minimodder

This is very true!

I think I can get a replacement set of fans for about £15 on ebay so I'd be better off doing that. I'm hoping to upgrade soon now that prices are coming down so would ideally like it in saleable condition!

8. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

What version of the R9 380 do you have? For rattle it might just need application of a little fine machine oil which is a very cheap fix. Did the same myself to a 5870 with blower fan design and sorted the problem.

9. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Machine oil or another light oil should be in everyone's tool kits for computer maintenance. I have double and tripled the life time of fans (per manufactures' MTTF) by simply cleaning and oiling.