1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Did I kill my CPU?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BU5H W00K1E, 9 Oct 2018.

1. BU5H W00K1E

BU5H W00K1E Minimodder

So since i finished my thermal take build in march once i replaced my clogged pump, I've been running my 8700k at 5.3 at it idles around 25c and was maxing about 60c. So about a month ago I started to get some very random crashes and changed the clock to the asus auto overclocking feature which put it was a little over 5.0ghz, it was fine for about a week then i decided to put it back to stock clock. It was fine up until yesterday when i was crashing and couldn't get past the bios screen, and now I get nothing, not even any leds on the motherboard.
    So far I disconnected my extensions and used stock cables, disconnected my gpu and even used a little 300w i had around to power it, even checked if the pump was pumping normal. I was wondering if is possible if i killed the cpu, motherboard, or both? Maybe even my power supply went bad?

2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

What motherboard have you got? Do you have an LED poster? What voltage were you using for 5.3? 60c is extremely low and likely not max...

3. BU5H W00K1E

BU5H W00K1E Minimodder

The led poster isn’t even lighting up and can’t remember the volt I set it in March

4. TheMadDutchDude

Remove the 8 pin to your CPU and see what it does. Does the system remain powered on?

It’s more likely that your board is dead over the CPU in all honesty.

alfizzle and Sentinel-R1 like this.
  5. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Agree with Dutch. Even a board with a dead CPU will have power and some kind of status LED as there's a code for CPU fault. If you've got a blackout motherboard, that'll be your faulty component.

6. alfizzle

alfizzle Ooh aah just a little bit..

As said above, motherboard.

More than likely a shorted vrm stopping the board from powering up. As Dutch said disconnecting the 8pin cpu power would verify this, as it cuts power to the cpu power section the board should power on with no display, plugging it back in should stop the board from powering on. If that’s the case, it’s new motherboard time.

7. BU5H W00K1E

BU5H W00K1E Minimodder

i did as said and nothing on the board. I ordered a cheap mobo just to test and make sure. Thanks everyone

8. BU5H W00K1E

BU5H W00K1E Minimodder

Well the motherboard is dead and I put the CPU into another motherboard I bought and it worked for about 10 mins then the cpu led started to flash. So my guess is I killed them both. But this just means I have a reason to give the miss why I need to build another setup and casemod!

9. TheMadDutchDude

Well, RMA time...

10. BU5H W00K1E

BU5H W00K1E Minimodder

Not sure if I could RMA it , I bought the stuff late 2017

11. TheMadDutchDude

That is less than a year ago...? Most hardware has three years.

12. Thewelder

Thewelder What's a Dremel?

Curious the voltage u used on a 8700k to get to 5.3ghz using everyday as u were.Keep in mind I did see your very good temp u stated at the VERY hi oc u were running.

Your Temps were great but only example I can use would be is u can take a stock 300hp engine then mod it by building all the other internals to it to accept a supercharger(insane cpu voltage),steel crank,pistons,valves etc and it SHOULD be good to go.But even a new engine with a new supercharger without being built correctly will blow a rod etc,not if..when.

The only real thing we can do to be acceptable/safer for cpu hi over clocks are built ground up sik custom water setups (not aio,'s there toys)for daily modest oc usage.And even then your temp's were very good your cpu was screaming at 14,000 rpms(5.3 ghz oc) per sey on a 8,000 rpm red lined out cpu.You were pushing the ceiling limit on the cups max headroom limit and it sounds like it had enough.

I have been overclocking and watercooling for YEARS only on custom built water setups on cpu and gpu combos.This gets great temp's but I always took the reslistic known cieling electrical limits of hardware.example: my 9700k I see ppl locking in 5ghz on these cups with good temps on these mainstream million sold aio lol coolers everywere.but no fans on there ram,vrm areas and run into problems down the line.Me personally am quite happy with a daily ramped up 4.6ghz clock on all cores when gaming and ramped back down to 3.6ghz when Web surfing etc...I prefer longetivity vs bragging rights as its insane fast enough as is.another thing I now notice in blk ops 4 at 1080 res on my new alien ware 244hz/1ms moniter settings maxed out fps solid 144 I still see(hwinfo)at times 100 percent total 8 core cpu usage at times in game which blows my mind apart not even thinking what a crazy oc would do going to 1440,4k! (No way).We actually need more powerful cpus!!!!!,not higher over clocks crushing them more into there grave...

There are 3 totally different types of ppl in the cpu world I met with the same cpu chip I met.

#1 The hardcore benchmarker "I got it 10 seconds faster!"
    The hardcore benchmarker (extreme guys,volt mods,phase changing setups,ln2 etc) who never really enjoy what the cpu was meant for,thee best gaming experience possible,faster encoding,content creation,solidworks etc.They only run into problem after problem for world records (look at me syndrome).Something breaks onto the next and repeat,ugh.Hey if u got a big bottle of aspirin and money to burn,litteraly..great.

#2 the hardcore gamer
    Buy it,set it,forget it,enjoy it for YEARS and decimate ppl in games stressfree.Not gonna buy a brand new 500hp supercharged car that runs flawlessly and put a 200 shot of nitrous on it and then break it only to be in the garage,just be happy with it as it tears up just about anything on the streets and runs amazing.

#3 The mainstream overclocker
    Trying to push limits of hardware for bragging rights with still trying to to have it as a daily driver in games,work etc...never works,ever.

I dunno man,modesty,realistic limits on hardware = longevity imo.

Last edited: 2 Dec 2018
  13. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Aios are toys?

Yeh that elitism will go down well here.

I have 4 pc's happily running aio's, my god they are awful.

14. Thewelder

yes they are with subpar performance,they dont last 10 years +... been doing this awhile bro...

elitism no.. realistic yes,the pumps in there are the size of a book of stamps.i,ve set alot of my buddys straight when they came to me with toy pump failures or limits.

Attached Files:

15. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

You have been a member since last Tuesday......

10 years plus is pretty good, are they as good as custom loops, nope but slagging them off is pretty sh*te too.

Comrade Woody likes this.
  16. Thewelder

Sorry if you took this wrong as i meant no "elitism" i assure you.Im just fed up after helping many ppl with these things OVER and over.....plz google "aio cooler pump failure" 100+ pages and videos....

17. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I don't need to I could Google failures regarding this that and the other and find lots, could probably find lots of failures in individual components too

Only failures in aio I have found sofar are with 1 2nd hand unit I bought and even then it still actually works.

18. Thewelder

All good my brother.i was replying to a post were a member had a unrealisticly hi oc as a daily driver and the cpu died.the context u taken out of my reply pertaining to aios was my facts dealing with these quickie bolt ons.nothing more.sorry u took offense about aios,there good for some i suppose,moving on.

19. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Quickie bolt on? dear god.

The fact u call me brother says everything.

Climb down off your ladder seriously.

Sentinel-R1 likes this.
  20. Thewelder

I call everyone brother aka bro(not son,buddy or pal) as were all brothers i thought.

And anything that requires,no filling,draining,cutting tubing,hours leak testing etc vs 4 bolts to bolt in i would consider a quickie bolt on.

moving on please.black ops 4 time,good day =)