1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking Phenom II X6 1045T

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MLyons, 21 Jan 2019.

1. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

so on this CPU the multiplier is limited to 13.5. Stock it runs at 2.7GHz and I've got it to 3.77GHz on 1.4V with max temps of 45C with load from small FFT in prime 95. I'm fairly new to overclocking. Am I going to need to start adding active cooling to the VRMs anytime soon or should I be fine keep pushing it? Any overclocking tips in general would be handy. The board is a GA-MA770T-UD3.

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

modd1uk, Mister_Tad and adidan like this.
  3. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

You're asking a lot from those VRMs that don't even have a heatsink... I would stay where you're at to avoid a puff of magic smoke. :D

4. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

So if i put a heatsink on them they should be fine... I have pointed some fans at them so I'm hoping that helps. I seems I need more than 1.4v to crack 3.8GHz based on testing last night.

5. MLyons

So I've managed to obtain some VRM heatsinks and a test bench to replace the cardboard I'm currently resting the board on. This will help air get underneath. Also going to swap the CPU fan with a desk fan to see what I can do.

6. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Realistically, the desk fan won’t do much for it as there’s no static pressure behind it. I doubt you’d see much of an improvement other than from surrounding airflow.

I would be careful... but that’s up to you. :D

7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

That depends. I mean it will definitely help over none, but does that board have the cajoolies to overclock a hex core that far? Forgive me for being a bit busy/lazy but I don't know what sort of phases it has. There may be a reason they didn't cool them.

I would have a dig around to see what phase count the board has, to see if you should be pushing it that hard. I added phase cooling to an Asrock once and blew the caps around the VRM area in about five minutes lol.

Edit. 4+1. Not good.