1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

Another three MP's jump ship from Labour. So we have Labour in division and Tories in division. Nexxo, you say people keep voting Tory, which they obviously have as they've won the GE's, but the options aren't exactly bowling us over with unity and solidarity either.

I remember growing up in the 70's and 80's and seeing the riots and protests that blighted the UK during those eras. Those riots and protests were often due to sense of dissatisfaction, disenfranchisement and a real feeling of people not having a real voice. That's something I think many people are really starting to feel again now. I often wonder how much it would take for mass civil unrest to actually become a reality again here in the UK? Our politicians aren't helping, in fact they are causing more problems than they are actually curing. If they carry on the way they are, I think mass civil unrest will happen. I just hope it doesn't!!

Some of our MP's will remember the riots and protests of the 70's and 80's too, so why are they not working to try and unite the country, instead of causing yet more divisions? It would seem they don't seem to think it could become a reality again, or they don't really care. In an ideal world, our MP's would work on delivering strategies that could benefit the country as a whole, instead they are more concerned with the party line, even if they know that party line isn't realistic, is full of holes and would just create further problems down the line.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

On the plus side, if just one single more Tory leaves then May loses the Tory/DUP coalition majority.
    A week or two of food shortages should work. Remember when KFC ran out of chicken, and half the population lost their goddamn minds?

3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Same, I do not want to see those days again. Nor the constant mention of a bomb or bomb threat.

True. However, the new Group is in no state to register itself as a party and set itself up for standing in a General Election.

The only vote I want to see at the moment is a Referendum on Leave under WTO (as the deal was rejected by Parliament and is what Brexiteers said everybody who voted to leave voted for) or stay in the EU.

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The Turkey plant has had no closing date mentioned. Swindon has.

For all those who think that a fringe party of 10 MPs has no power in parliament, may I introduce to you the DUP....

Doesn't matter. The point is to vote people out, not in. And keep doing it until the message drops that the only way to stay in is to listen to voters.

Because people keep voting for them. They reward bad behaviour. And there are other sources of feedback: look at which are the most sold/read tabloids in the UK, and what mentality and political worldview of the readers they reflect. Just like tabloids get sold by reflecting the readership's thinking, politicians get elected by reflecting the voters' thinking.

5. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Mass riots are very unlikley.

The large working class communities that existed in the 70s and 80s arent around any more.
    The population is very diverse now, with much smaller group identities which doesn't lend its self to mass demonstrations.

6. loftie

loftie Multimodder

You're talking down the country. We're all overweight anyway, this'll be a great way to trim the fat and get us as a country into a lean workforce. Then we'll be nimble, and agile, and can sign trade deals left right and centre because we'll be nimble and agile and be able to outmanoeuvre the bigger slow lumbering fat countries.

Obligatory /s because it really is needed these days.

Corky42, Nexxo and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I mean... depends on your definition of "mass," surely? 2011 wasn't that long ago, and while those riots might have been smaller than the Poll Tax Riots and the like Wikipedia claims five deaths, "more than 16" members of the public being injured alongside 186 police officers and 3 PCSOs, and an estimated £200 million in property damage and more in the impact on local economic activity.

And that was based on one dude's death, not two weeks without any decent scran. What's that thing about civilisation being three meals away from barbarism?

Nexxo likes this.
  8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Yeah, we reached peak Poe's Law sometime last year...

9. adidan

True enough, i'd missed that, the Civic ends in 2021 - what happens after that who knows. Much like Nissan and Sunderland I guess, although I expect Turkey's plant has more long term prospects than Sunderland's.

I don't disagree. The Independent Group aren't a registered party at this point in time though. A valid hypothesis for this is so that they don't have to release details of who is funding them.

Edit: Mind you if the prospect of Labour losing many MPs to TIG pushes him towards another referendum it'll have done its job in my eyes.

Last edited: 20 Feb 2019
  10. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

I wouldn't consider that a mass riot given that it was centralised to London and the numbers involved where small even by British historical standards, compared to our french neighbours it was very small.
    Comparitivley Britain isn't really a rioting country at this point, you only have to look at the equipment the police carry compared to similar western democracies to see it not a significant threat. The sale of Boris's water cannons being a perfect example.

As for food shortages its seems a tad sensationalist to suggest there will suddenly be mass shortages of all food.
    Worst case it would be less choice of food and limited more to homegrown produce and at an increased cost.

11. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Which might be ok, if Brexit weren't set to happen slap bang in the middle of what is known as the 'hungry gap'.

12. adidan

Awesome, boiled everything like in the 70's.

Mind you, keep the population underfed, but just fed enough, and they have less energy to riot.

13. Gareth Halfacree

Ahem: "Several districts of London, Birmingham, West Yorkshire, Merseyside, Greater Manchester, Nottingham, Bristol, and several other areas."
    I refer you to my honourable colleague:
    EDIT:
    To go into slightly more detail: the UK produces slightly less than half of the food it consumes and, in 2017, operated at a 60 percent all-food and 75 percent indigenous production-to-supply ratio which 'fails to insulate a country against many possible disruptions to its supply chain.' The only thing we export more of than we import, in value terms, is beverages - and only then 'cos of the Scottish whisky industry.

During the hungry gap, of which Brexit lands slap-bang in the middle, imported food is up around 70 percent. Worse is yet to come when you break it down: a whopping 84 percent of fruit consumed in the UK is grown abroad, and a Brexit-triggered shortage could cause thousands of deaths from cardiovascular disease as a result of lowered consumption and the resultant malnutrition.

But let's say you're right. Let's say there aren't any shortages, even though I piggin' guarantee there will be if only through panic buying - hell, we get shortages every time there's a bit of bloody snow on the ground let alone a sudden loss of every trade deal we've ever had. An estimated two million people in the UK are malnourished as a result of 'food poverty' at current prices, and three million more are thought to be at risk. One in six UK adults have skipped a meal because they can't afford it, while one in twelve have gone a full day without eating. Last year the Trussell Trust, which is only one of the foodbank organisations in the UK, handed out 1,332,952 three-day crisis food supply parcels, including nearly half a million to children, with 24 percent of referrals being people on benefits who are encountering delays, interruptions, or first payments and who thus can't afford food, another 28 percent people who are on low incomes, and a further nine percent from people who are in debt.

Now, what do we think happens to these people who either can barely afford or simply can't afford food at the current pricing when prices shoot up by 20 percent or more? If you answered "they starve," congratulations, you got my point.

No amount of home-grown kale soup is going to fix that.

Last edited: 20 Feb 2019
  14. loftie

loftie Multimodder

15. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

If it had been isolated you could hardly call what happened in the northern towns rioting, I’ve seen worse after the football.

As I pointed out there would be more limited choice of foods but people would hardly be starving or not able to get 3 meals a day as per the barbarian comment.

I can only comment on farms in similar position to mine but we currently have used hardly any of our winter stocks because it has been relatively mild and we could easily up production another 20-25% if required.
    We are currently throwing a load away due to low demand and quotas.

16. Gareth Halfacree

Three people chuffin' died in Birmingham, you absolute pillock, and someone took pot shots at a police helicopter.
    See my updated comment: there are two million people in the UK starving right now, never mind when food prices shoot up post-Brexit.
    First question: what does your farm produce? Second question: how is a 25 percent increase going to help during a time when 70 percent of our food is imported?

17. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Nope.
    I’m not going to debate with someone who can’t be civil.

18. Gareth Halfacree

You minimised the deaths of three people as less than you've seen 'after the football.' Don't want to be called a pillock, don't act like a pillock. 's not hard.

19. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Birmingham isn’t a northern town..

20. Gareth Halfacree

Birmingham is also, last I checked, not London. Remember the point you were trying to make? Here, allow me:
    More people died in Birmingham as a result of the 2011 riots than died in London as a result of the 2011 riots. Hardly very centralised, is it?

Now, care to defend your "nobody will starve" comment in a country in which two million people already are?