And so it begins.....Project: Not Sure yet

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Randomboy, 29 Oct 2003.

1. olv

olv he's so bright

wow impressive design. cant wait to see the watercooling installed. should look really good/

2. Solarius

Solarius What's a Dremel?

Nice. I'm still trying to get my sh!t together to clean up my attic. I have finally assembled all the tools I need ( besides saftely glasses and mask, which I guess I'll get ) :). I still think a visible swirling res would be a cool idea. ;) I get home from work at 7pm, unfortunately, so I never get anything done during the week, which ultimately screws me over, because then I have everything backed up to the weekend, so I don't get to do anything I want then. :( Oh well. Good luck!

3. Randomboy

Randomboy What's a Dremel?

Alright, I've been getting lazy, I guess I'll post up some of the bit of work I've done. I'm inches away from putting the bulk of the case together, which as far as I'm concerned will be the easy part. I think the hard part will be how Im gonna implement my PSU, and power distribution. All I need to get to the point of construction is pulling my PSU out of my case now to get a measurement of the PCB so I can build my PSU mount in the case :)

Alright, well here we have my otherwise boring motherboard tray, which will *likely* be edgelit blue when all said and done. I havent gotten my Novus in yet, so I'm not sure how the smoked plexi is gonna look edge-lit with blue, or any color for thta matter, so thats still up in the air. I dont need alot of bling bling anyways, my rods should be bright enough :)

[​IMG]

To do this, I simply marked off all the standoff locations of the mobo on my "tray", and drilled part way through the plexi with a bit just smaller than the threads on the standoffs. Then with little force I screwed them in, and theres NO WAY in hell these ones will come loose when unscrewing the mobo like I've had happen on some trays w/ standoffs :)

[​IMG]

And here we have the middle "layer" of the case :) Upper drawer will be holding my ZIP drive, and lower will be housing my WD SE 80g HDD :) And again, pending the look of edgelit smoked plexi, the drawers may be edge lit as well.

The front:
    [​IMG]

And the back. I made the slots on the sides with a 1/4" shank, 1/4" cut double fluted bit in my router, which I set up in a jig so its mounted into the base of a portable workbench, I can raise the bit and use it for straight cutting as well, which is nice :) And yes....no Novus yet, so still needs some sanding/polishing.

[​IMG]

And.......a money shot:

[​IMG]

I've got about 40% of my cdrom window mod cut out, then its a matter of...........painting the drive, mounting the lexan window, adding interior LED's and that'll do it. Should look fantastique. Gotta love the Radio Shack nibbler!

4. best49erfan

best49erfan What's a Dremel?

looks great so far. I am not yet brave enough to make my own case.