G-gnome's Orac³ - Part 2

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by G-gnome, 1 Sep 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glennd_05

glennd_05 What's a Dremel?

alright, i'll try radioshack

thanks

-glenn

2. Goldberg

Goldberg Minimodder

At www.conrad.com they sell the jackplugs and the socketplugs, G-gnome has modded.

3. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

just to say it, G-gnome, I absolutely loved the jack plug idea. I had been messing around trying to think of something like that, but you nailed it. cheers
    :clap:

4. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

G gnome you made me read this thread and stay up late and sleep late. I hate you it's all your fault!

Of course not your mod is just simply amazing I can't believe it. It really looks like those matrix sentinels those cables and stuff.
    The front of the case just looks EXCELLENT. To be honest I reall hate transparent cases... Not anymore!

:eek:

5. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

It really looks like those matrix sentinels those cables and stuff.

LOL - I was JUST thinking the exact same thing...

Of course, maybe because I saw Matrix Revolutions today :)

Top mod dude!

6. Goldberg

Goldberg Minimodder

G-gnome, how thick is the acrylic tube u used for the PSU support bracket?

Last edited: 12 Nov 2003
  7. piloux

piloux What's a Dremel?

I dont find words to qualify your work :jawdrop:

[​IMG]

8. Raelrigs

Raelrigs What's a Dremel?

this is the sixth time i have read your prodject log.
    keep up the good work mate, the quality of this mod is second to none.
    im quite gobsmacked.

love the entire mod.
    Rael

9. nOrphf

nOrphf What's a Dremel?

Damn its good work m8.

But this tread has been really long, so I cant find a really good final picture. Dont you have a home page with the pics only, or paked in a zip/rar file so you can mail it to me.

Lars Mortensensen
    larsm@norphf.dk

10. Goldberg

Goldberg Minimodder

The project is still in progress.
    What you can do is click http://forums.bit-tech.net/printthread.php?s=&threadid=39414&perpage=709
    Save it to your computer and all the pics are there
    Do the same for part 1 (show printable version (bottom), show all posts on one page)

Also take a look at the articles on www.Bit-Tech.net

11. Immy

Immy What's a Dremel?

Do you plan on selling this once it is finished?

12. Omnipotence

Omnipotence What's a Dremel?

It wouldn't be so hard to read what has already been answered :nono:

The answer is no.

13. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It looks like G-gnome's project is proving to have set a new trend in modding...

Lookie here...

...and here...

Doesn't look as good as G-gnome's, though... :D

14. OneMadPoptart

OneMadPoptart What's a Dremel?

You would think these people would hold off copying Ggnome until AFTER he has finished with this piece of computer godliness.

No respect there. None at all. :sigh:

15. WinK

WinK What's a Dremel?

No doubt, G-gnomes' computer is amazing, such detail. But that computer did have some neat look to it light up. Still nowhere near as good as some...

16. at_b

at_b What's a Dremel?

i m amazed it took them this long...but it was going to be copied no mather what. it is a brilliant idea and it will be used around because that s the way things are and this happend to each inovation at the time it appeared least. It does not matter really if at least they know and admit who s the king(g-gnome) who thought of it first and made it a beautiful idea. There will probably never be a better one because of the fine craftmanship that g gnome put on it and because it will never be able to be original again(make an analogy for instance with the frozen image/rotating camera effect in matrix 1...it was spectacular when we first saw it, but it looked just plain, even of lack of common sense when it was included in other movies). If you ever see a guy that says it s his idea and it s original to put shower hoses in the computer fooling some forum that has no idea of modding and where they can find the best works of all times(bit-tech) just point them here...this goes double for shops that try to make money from exploiting great works like this.
    hope i made some sense, what i wanted to say is that if g gnome didn t want people to inspire from him he would have not posted, but it s our duty to give him credits and it would be lack of common sense not to do so...and i do not think that guy did...

17. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Heh, well spotted Nexxo :baby:

What is it they say about imitation being the sincerest form of flattery? I'm sure this guy emailed me about Orac when I first started the project, I'll have to have a look to refresh my memory. His case certainly does look nicer than a lot of acrylic cases around and it's good to see he got something out of what I've been doing.

I'm happy if people are inspired enough to copy stuff. At the end of the day, they are the ones who will have to deal (as with Kobalt's case there) with the comments like "hmm, i smell Orac3 ripoff " etc. From my perspective, he's done a good job of his PSU.:)
    Too true at_b. If I didn't want peeps to be inspired or get ideas off me I wouldn't post my worklog (let alone in the detail I have).

However, he doesn't seem to have given any credit for the inspiration behind (judging from his pics) what is a (the?) main feature of his mod. Shame really. :sigh:

As I've posted elsewhere in this log: all I have asked of anyone copying the work I've done (or anyone elses work for that matter) and then posting it up on websites is to acknowledge where their mod idea originated. This is simple good manners, facilitates the flow of ideas throughout the modding community and helps point others in the direction of the original to see if they can't draw some inspiration from it as well. :cooldude:

18. Bluebark

Bluebark What's a Dremel?

G-gnome,
    I still have a hard time ripping my eyes away from all the pretty chrome its soo sparkly. But serious…I’ve had lot of custom chrome go through my hands over the years and I gotta say…yours is some of the finest I’ve seen. Man that looks good…

19. Eaglespirit

Eaglespirit What's a Dremel?

yes of course they would write where they got the idea from. But this would be a problem since you have to write down where you got every mod idea from. For example window, stealth modding, rounded IDE cables etc.

And in matter of fact I think I've seen people used shower hoses before.

well well, i'm very tired now. Don't listen to me

Very nice work. Waiting for the finished case :thumb:

20. at_b

at_b What's a Dremel?

after a while some of te mods become common and it s pointless to say i got them from there or there...but when you see something original(from your point of view) and you decide to copy/mimic that mod it would be a nice thing to say where you got it from...like I ve seen a lot of people do here, somethin like i was inspired by bard or i was inspired by japala...by macroman...by whoever else got some not some common ideas made(a lot, and i mean a whole lot were completly original)(the order in which i listed the names has no importance what so ever)...or at least say I got the idea from some nice fellows on bit-tech or on procooling or whatever...
    it is quite stupid to list everything like:i choose the black anodized screws because i was inspired by xxx ... but some things are really worth mentioning... hell...i can t even remeber all the guys that inspired me(i haven t done nothing worth of showing yet...just planed and got tools/accesories/parts :) got my :dremel: today too...only a 3 hours till morning when i can try it out )...but some of them i just couldn t forget...hope to mention most of them when/if i manage to make something worthwhile...

anywayz...it s all down to common sense...nobody asks you to tell where you came up with the ideea of a free form side panel/window but since this mod is so great, that guy should have at least said where it got it from, especially that this type of mods are not so common right now...heck...he even used rubber gorrmets :(

sorry for the offtopic hijack(spelling?) g-gnome

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.