1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I don't have it that bad but, yeah pollen is a bugger.

Some other ailment i seemed to have accrued with age.

3. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

We were in Rome, it was 35 degrees. All we could do was sit and drink.

When we left we shared a taxi with an Aussie guy, he'd done a five hour walking tour of the city.

We didn't manage to walk to the next bar :worried:

adidan likes this.
  4. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Hayfever will be the death of me

5. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Replaced the pedals on the bike due to a clicking I could feel in my feet. One pedal had something loose so thought job done.

Clicking is, still there, my own fault the stock bottom bracket is terrible quality known to fail very quickly so I'll have to invest in a rather expensive one.

Also lost most of the sound in the door of the car during the week. Checked the easy stuff, speaker terminals, connectors, amp. All good so ended up gutting one side of the car. Turned out the crimp terminal to the speaker I had checked. Had corroded away :miffed: new one fitted, all terminals now covered in marine grease. Four hours to find a, crimp which I'd checked in the, first ten minutes.

6. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

the art director of a new studio opening in Leamington spa contacts me out the blue, "found your portfolio online, your **** is great, wanna come join my new art team I'm building?"

its a respectable studio so sure, I'm game. 2 weeks later I get a response back "hey could you do a test for us?" interesting I thought being as you wouldn't have contacted me if you felt I couldn't do it, but my portfolio is 99% science fiction based and covers multiple disciples so i ask what the test is for "oh its a UI design test, you'd have 5 days to do it tho" OK sure I say. I get the brief, and the deadline on it says 3 days plus it has holes in it, not major ones but worth an email asking for clarification. so I set to work and email over my questions regarding the brief. by the end of the second day I've not heard anything, **** it, the brief states that its just a guideline and that it can be winged if I feel I can enhance it. job done and its in their inbox within 3 days along with a design sheet stating my thoughts on each element of the design.

get a response back this morning saying that they're not taking my application further.

what the...? I didn't apply to work with them they contacted me asking to join.

I'm ****ing raging right now, I've spoken to their recruitment team this morning only to get the response "err we'll get back to you after we've spoke to the art director" no you bloody wont, i'll be chasing you later on this afternoon!

this contract would have been the win that I really need right now, I dont need this ****.

7. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I believe that's what you call free labour.

8. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

some chinese knock off firm maybe but Sumo Digital?

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yup. Massively, *massively* common, sadly. Brewdog's terrible for promising people marketing positions, getting 'em to fly out on their own dime with the promise of recompense, then ghosting 'em and using all the "just a test to see if you're a fit" work they did, for another example.

I hope you got 'em to sign a thing saying they don't get the rights to what you did.

10. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

only an NDA that I keep my yap shut about the project and not reveal any artwork I receive, there was nothing in there regarding rights ownership.

11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Whoops. Yeah, they've chiefed it. You needed something that either says you retain all rights to work submitted as part of the job application process, or that rights revert to you if your application is unsuccessful. If they're not happy about signing that, then there's a reason.

12. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I'd be sending them an invoice for the work they solicited from you and a vague mention of taking legal advice.

It probably won't come to anything but these shysters like being answered back to even less than they like paying for stuff. It's pretty obvious that there wasn't a contract and there never will be.

13. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Full on dick-wads. I know some people in the industry over there, I can make enquiries on the person/company in question if you want?

I feel full on badgers arse rough. Woke up this morning at 4 sweating my tits off, just managed to get to the bathroom before spewing up a the half pint of water I drank when I woke up, then a large amount of bile. Managed to crawl back to bed and get a bit more broken sleep. Made it through work without killing the retards who've just discovered how to make their pc go "bong" with the volume slider and think it's hilarious. Got a bunch of jobs to do when I get home before can really relax and get into holiday mode, but fear I'll crash and burn as soon I relax.

adidan and MLyons like this.
  14. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

What Muppets actually leave on Windows sounds. It's the first thing we turn off.

Last edited: 1 Jul 2019
  15. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Might be the IT dept. that didn't disable them properly...

16. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

nah you're good. I got a call from the studios operations manager as she was driving home apologising over the breakdown in communications on their part. 40 min conversion later and she's putting me in touch with several studios who are looking for staff around the leamington area so its not a complete loss. still mildly ****ed off over it.

IanW and The_Crapman like this.
  17. legoman

Yeah just disable the device as part of the build, less hassle.

18. MLyons

happily listening to spotify through the office speakers then BBBBBOOOOONNNNG

19. legoman

Sorry El Banko dislike sound, unless its from someone walking around having a private conversation on speakerphone, or video conference at a random persons desk with their speaker bar on full whack.

20. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

The default bong is actually the only useful windows sound, by virtue of the aforementioned volume indication.